Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is only a couple of months old but the rear passenger tyre has a slow puncture causing the pressure to slowly lower over time. Best options?

I could replace the tyre for circa £100 or i could take out tyre insurance and wait the designated time and claim thru there? Only issue being it would cost more than 2 times as much but i guess it covers more than just this tyre and for multiple years.

Or is there a cheaper option for a local garage to try and find the puncture and fix?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,162 Posts
Check the valve first - slow "punctures" are often poorly seated valves and cost pennies to either tighten or replace. A little bit of soapy water will soon show you.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Last time I had a slow puncture (from a nail), the local garage fixed it for about £20 in less time than it took for me to finish the free coffee. This was 4-5 years ago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check the valve first - slow "punctures" are often poorly seated valves and cost pennies to either tighten or replace. A little bit of soapy water will soon show you.
Sorry i dont understand how i would check the valve with soapy water, can you provide a little more detail? Should i pour some soapy water around the valve and look for it leaking somewhere?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Sorry i dont understand how i would check the valve with soapy water, can you provide a little more detail? Should i pour some soapy water around the valve and look for it leaking somewhere?
Yes, it should bubble directly at the source, if there's a leak

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,162 Posts
With the valve at the bottom of the wheel remove the cap and pour a small amount of soapy water into the valve and where it seats on the rim. If you get bubbles then you know where the problem is. Dry the inside of the valve before replacing the cap - easiest done by rolling the car so that the valve is at the top of the wheel and leaving it to dry naturally for half an hour before replacing the dust cap.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
There's loads of videos showing how to use soapy water to find a leak, e.g.:

If you want to check the valve, you basically just spray the soapy water onto the valve and see if it bubbles like in the video.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Take it to a tyre shop. If it's a nail or something in the right place it's £20. If it's in the wrong place it's a new tyre.

The tyres are the things that keep you attached to the road, best that they are safe.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,162 Posts
Take it to a tyre shop. If it's a nail or something in the right place it's £20. If it's in the wrong place it's a new tyre.

The tyres are the things that keep you attached to the road, best that they are safe.
Agreed, but have an opinion on what brand/model of tyre you want if the existing one is unrepairable, and know the price of it before going to avoid paying through the nose. If the car is virtually new then stick with the same brand/model of tyre.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE40 R90
567 Posts
I've had a couple of slow punctures, caused by nails, successfully repaired by tyre garages.

Have a look round the tyre and see if you can spot a nail, they are often right in flush with the tread. If you find one in the near to middle part of the tyre, it will almost certainly be repairable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts