Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do we need someone to do the same for Chargemaster PLC? What are they, 70% of UK charge infrastructure, government grant/subsidy supported?
To be honest this was all completely predictable and I'm a little surprised that it's taken EV drivers so long to realise :rolleyes:

If we want something different then we must make it happen ourselves... government is woefully inept at times of transition :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think OLEV is learning from it's growing pains; I think they are also between a rock and a hard place. They need to support businesses setting up a national charging network with woefully low returns for the first few years. Remember this all has to be a business case; not philanthropy.

Yes there are many mistakes we can point out along the way, companies with dubious intent and pricing models; but I hope that the next set of OLEV funding will help fill in some of the gaps like workplace and on-street charging.

As we have seen on other forum posts even when charities give the charging hardware away; doesn't stop a hotel with a charging point wanting £15 for a few pence of electric. Adoption requires business-led, government-led and driver engagement

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
If there's a breakup, it'll have to apply across the market - there can't be a breakpoint based on size. I can see one possible outcome is the separation of generation and supply and going back to the Pooling principle (swept away in 2001 by the goverment of the day), but supply businesses aren't a great investment - another major supplier has had their supply business up for sale for 2 years, with nothing on the horizon.

In terms of which companies' consumers risk losing out the most, those with their proposition and marketing based on their generation mix may be disproportionately impacted, because they'll have to bid commercially for that output.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts