Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To be Launched in Milton Keynes (and operated by Simply Connect Ltd), SVTS is an adopted policy at Milton Keynes Council. It also forms the ‘transport on-demand’ element of the two-seater driverless Lutz programme supported by The Transport Systems Catapult along with members of the Automotive Council, Department of Business, Innovation & Skills, Milton Keynes Council and industrial partners.
A fleet of about 400 SVTS vehicles in Milton Keynes is projected to have the potential to gain 15% of the total motorised local transport market: more than a 10% modal shift from the private car generating a turnover of around £80M a year!
With potential to operate in about 70% of the UK, SVTS is claimed as a scalable transport-on-demand system providing benefits including job creation, a 7% traffic reduction with 5-20% carbon reduction and consequent reduction in need for expanded highway infrastructure; as well as ensuring access for businesses, irrespective of parking limitations or the need for staff or customers to have a car.
So forget the Chargmaster 'paid' posts - take the 2-seat driverless Lutz! :rolleyes::cool:

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
If this is the same thing they were talking about before I think it's madness. They're basically going to cover a few hundred easily walkable yards and occupy pathways rather than roads. People of Milton Keynes no doubt becoming fatter and lazier than ever. And we're fatter than most (stats prove this). :(

I'm all for EVs, but even more for walking and cycling where easily possible.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yes, this is the same [email protected] as was talked about last year. It's a great idea in theory, but the financials don't seem to stack up. 400 cars generate £80M turnover? That's £550/car/day for all 400 cars? No convinced somehow...
If they could pick me up from Wetherspoons and take me home for a couple of quid I may be interested, but I doubt they'll be that good any time soon...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks Brian - that's timely - I've just written a paper on the potential impact of these things this very afternoon. May I ask where you sourced the modal share estimates and financials? My quick estimate of societal benefits are based on modal shift assumptions no-where near those levels..

·
Registered
31 Posts
If this is the same thing they were talking about before I think it's madness. They're basically going to cover a few hundred easily walkable yards and occupy pathways rather than roads. People of Milton Keynes no doubt becoming fatter and lazier than ever.
My conclusions exactly! Clearly, part of the LUTZ programme is about demonstrating and testing the concept of autonomous vehicles in a shared use environment. But In order to reap benefits beyond R&D, the scheme must be targeted at replacing short private car trips (of which there are quite a few in MK)

·
Registered
31 Posts
On further research - the SVTS are likely to be a fleet of small electric minibus type vehicles (with driver) - not to be confused with the driverless pods scheme.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts