Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’ve just bought and received our ID3 and had a Pod-Point installed. We are about to go into Octopus Agile for cheaper night time charging. How do I set up smart charging to only charge in the middle of the night rather in peak hours? I can’t figure it out on either my Pod-Point or the ID3.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
We’ve just bought and received our ID3 and had a Pod-Point installed. We are about to go into Octopus Agile for cheaper night time charging. How do I set up smart charging to only charge in the middle of the night rather in peak hours? I can’t figure it out on either my Pod-Point or the ID3.
As far as I can remember, Pod Point don't support timers. You will have to set up a charging timer in your car, if it supports this (most do, but I don't own a VW myself)

EDIT: Looking at the manual it appears you can unfortunately only set a departure time for when you want charging to end, but not start. (Unless I am missing something) You can do this as long as the battery charge isn't too low and you would be able to get to full by the time your off peak power would end.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I cannot comment on Pod Point home charger.

But the ID.3 right now does not yet have the scheduled charging function included. This will come with the major software update in 1Q. I am on Eco7 tariff and wanted to be able to charge during the night rate (00:00-07:00) but like you I cannot do that yet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A quick fix is to set the departure time for when the off peak rate finishes. The car should then charge (mostly) during off peak

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
As a temporary work around, how about a plug timer on the granny lead. set to come on at the eco times?
I dont have an EV nor a wall charger, just thinking out loud...
But I seem to remember these cars dont come with a granny charger, what a bummer.
I even wonder if they even come with keys to unlock the car ;)

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,249 Posts
We've had a PodPoint since March 2018 when we were told that they'd be offering timed charging soon and not to worry as they provide OTA updates. 32 months later there is still no sign of it so don't hold your breath ..... :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been with Octopus for 4 years and have just received our ID3 and moved onto Agile. I think the only way to do this in the proper way is to order an Ohme cable (Discount via Octopus Energy). I have the car, the cable and am yet to sort the charging unit. I watched a fair bit of stuff on youtube, this guy has some good videos.

Ohme Intelligent Wall Charger - Why I Went For One

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been with Octopus for 4 years and have just received our ID3 and moved onto Agile. I think the only way to do this in the proper way is to order an Ohme cable (Discount via Octopus Energy). I have the car, the cable and am yet to sort the charging unit. I watched a fair bit of stuff on youtube, this guy has some good videos.

Ohme Intelligent Wall Charger - Why I Went For One
Thank you, I think you're right but unfortunately we've only had the pod point for 2 weeks so I'm loathed to pay more. I'm hoping that VW manage to sort scheduled charging in Q1 that someone mentioned as it would solve all the issues. A bit bizarre not to have a scheduled charging option, I naively assumed it was a standard requirement for either the car and/or the charger in this smart age....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cannot comment on Pod Point home charger.

But the ID.3 right now does not yet have the scheduled charging function included. This will come with the major software update in 1Q. I am on Eco7 tariff and wanted to be able to charge during the night rate (00:00-07:00) but like you I cannot do that yet.
Great news the software update is expected soon that'll makes such a difference. Do you have the option to use scheduled departure? It doesn't work on our app and I havent figured out how to do it in the car yet......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A quick fix is to set the departure time for when the off peak rate finishes. The car should then charge (mostly) during off peak

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you - the app wont let me set a departure time just yet so I'll investigate if perhaps we can do that via the car. We are still on a steep learning curve with all of this!

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,604 Posts
Unbelievable that the ID3 didn't have a working charge timer yet.
It's been on their other EVs for years

They're are posts on speakev about modify the pod point chargers so they will work with octopus Agile, not you probably don't want to do that to a new charge point

1 - 11 of 11 Posts