Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Hoping to tap into the collective experience here with regards to an issue I’ve encountered with me Smart ED. Bought in late 2013 with Battery Assurance Plus plan which I am still paying for (£55 pm). The car has been serviced annually since purchase by Mercedes Benz Colindale with no issues whatsoever. Car has recently clocked 20k mileage. Last week I turned the ignition key and a message on the dash popped up saying “Drive Sya. Engine Off”. I switched off and turned on and the message didn’t flush and vehicle started normally. However, the car then intermittently jerked when the accelerator was pressed. It felt as if the battery was losing power. Can confirm the car always has ample charge for the journey. I continued to monitor this over next few days but didn’t experience anything until early this week I experienced a complete shut down of the HV Battery while I was about to set off from a set of lights. Again, I got the same “Drive Sys. Engine Off” message. I turned the key and it started again only to shut down again. Long story short, I took it to Mercedes Benz Colindale and explained the problem. They said they’d charge me £120 diagnostics charge which I contested by saying I was covered by BAP plan. The services rep knew nothing of the plan and argued with me about not having extended warranty. Rather than argue, I asked for them inspect the issue and report back. It took an entire day with multiple chasers for Service rep to contact me. She said “your car has a complex issue possibly with wiring with high voltage and we need you to authorise another inspection with an additional £120 diagnostic charge.” I was furious at this point. I reiterated that the high voltage issue is most likely caused by the battery and therefore it should be covered by the BAP plan. Otherwise what have I been paying for for 4 years! She said to wait until Monday when the technician will run a software update following which they will be able tk better explain the problem. I’m not left without my car and none the wiser on the diagnosing the problem. The car has so far been very reliable and economical. However, For the the first time I fear the repair costs might spiral out of control in case MB argue the fault doesn’t relate to the battery (which I find v hard to believe). Has anyone else experienced this issue? Would really appreciate some input and steer at this point. Thanks in anticipation. Best, Asad

1 - 1 of 1 Posts