Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Militant EV driver!
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've been looking at Smart EDs. I looked at a couple of dealership models and on two times I've been told it is possible to buy out the lease at the change of ownership. In fact for the first one I was next to the man from the dealer when he called Mercedes Benz Finance and was told the price.

Now I've seen a private one for sale and when I called Mercedes Benz Finance myself they told me it is not possible to buy out and my only option is to transfer the existing lease. Then when I asked to see an example of the lease they wouldn't let me have one.

What's going on here?

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,654 Posts
Recently I've been looking at Smart EDs. I looked at a couple of dealership models and on two times I've been told it is possible to buy out the lease at the change of ownership. In fact for the first one I was next to the man from the dealer when he called Mercedes Benz Finance and was told the price.

Now I've seen a private one for sale and when I called Mercedes Benz Finance myself they told me it is not possible to buy out and my only option is to transfer the existing lease. Then when I asked to see an example of the lease they wouldn't let me have one.

What's going on here?
Is this the new ED or the original one?

I believe with the Leaf battery leases, it requires a dealer to make the transition as they have to process getting a quote and deal with all the paperwork - which in the case of the leaf requires a new V5. It could be that for Smart the process is the same in that it has to be done by a dealer and can't be done direct? That might make sense as a way to make sure it's done properly (and in a secondary way, support dealer sales over private ones).

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have had a similar experience. I have just agreed a private purchase of a Smart ED with battery lease and asked for a copy of the current lease to look at. It's full of his personal stuff so I wouldn't want to post it online however, as I read it the lease is transferable and lasts 4 years. After that point you can either return the battery or sign a new lease. There appears to be no option to purchase, however I have been told by a dealer that it is possible.
We've decided to take a chance and see what happens at the end of the lease period. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had a similar experience. I have just agreed a private purchase of a Smart ED with battery lease and asked for a copy of the current lease to look at. It's full of his personal stuff so I wouldn't want to post it online however, as I read it the lease is transferable and lasts 4 years. After that point you can either return the battery or sign a new lease. There appears to be no option to purchase, however I have been told by a dealer that it is possible.
We've decided to take a chance and see what happens at the end of the lease period. I'll keep you posted.
Hi Bob,

Just found ourselves in the situation where we do not know if the Smart we are trying to buy has a battery lease or it is owned outright. Is there a way of finding out ? This is a 63 plate and obviously it is 6 years old now so it may fall into the renewed lease category you were soon to be part of. Can you please tell us how your renew or purchase went ? Many thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts