Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I’d be interested to hear if anyone has a MyEnergi Zappi charger and if they have had any charging issues.
We have a Zappi (and PV Solar) and use it to charge our Smart forfour EQ.
If you don’t know the Zappi, it essentially allows you to charge the car on the excess energy from a renewable source that would otherwise be going out to the grid.
It has various charge modes, one of which (eco +) allows you to charge from the excess solar only, so if the sun goes in and the excess drops below a certain level (defined in an industry wide charging spec) the charging is paused.
Our Smart doesn’t seem to like this pause, reports an error on the dash, tells us to take it to a workshop and will not start for ~15 mins. Mercedes have had it on their diagnostics and tell us nothing is wrong with the car.
We don’t have any issues in the other charging modes offered by the Zappi (a 7kWh ‘fast’ and an eco where the PVs are boosted by the grid when the sun goes in so charging is not paused).
The good people at MyEnergi tell me they have not seen a problem with the cars they have tested with (Jag, Renault, Nissan, Tesla).
Mercedes/Smart don’t seem to be interested in having a dialog about the problem which is inexcusable given we have just bought a new car off them – it sound from the only response that we have had from them that they just don’t understand the problem and seem to think I have some heath-robinson system where I’ve directly connected the car to the PV panels!
They have now said the problem is closed and they are not willing to talk further – terrible customer service.
I’d be interested in hearing any experiences of others, positive or negative in this area.
Many thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Does the protocol actually allow "pause"? It might well be that it doesnt, and whatever combination of signals the charger is outputting when in this state is rejected by the car as being valid.

SAE J1772 - Wikipedia

That doesnt really mention anything about "pausing" the charge. Infact, the only thing the charger can do is tell the car its maximum allowed current demand, and the lowest it can set is 6A. The zappi must be doing something a little odd to pause the charge, and the car simply doesnt like it.

The zappis arent perfect and theres various issues reported when using its various eco modes across the forum with different models of car. Some cars wont start charging at all in certain modes.

I very much doubt you'll get anyone at Mercedes to do anything about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Aragorn,

I’m an EV novice so just starting to put this together from things I’ve read and what has been said here.

It seems that others Zappi owners I’ve talked to haven’t had any problems when charging in eco+ mode, I shall have to search the forum.

And apart from the issues when pausing in eco+, all is working perfectly. I suppose we have a recent version of the Zappi firmware though so perhaps the issues you mention have been ironed out.

I think you might be right about Mercedes though, they have shown no interest whatsoever in investigating or explaining why they are not at fault (if they believe they are not) which is really annoying to say the least.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi Chris

It could be down to the settings in the Zappi. Go back to your installer and get them to work with MyEnergi to work out the problem.

We had a couple of issues with a Mitsubishi Miev (something like that) but a software update and change of settings fixed the issue

Richard

·
9,719 Posts
This is a pretty common problem, I am also fairly sure there is a setting in Zappi that periodically wakes the car to stop its charge interface going into sleep.

·
www.zeroevltd.co.uk
64 Posts
Hi Guys, Im at a dead end with an install for a smart EQ. I installed an EVBox Elvi, and trying to charge the smart car is a nightmare. won't charge at all and seems to permanently be on pause. very VERY occasionally it will charge for 15 mins then goes back to pause, sometimes, the car accepts charge for 1 sec, then stops, then accepts , the stops etc on and on. Ive done the same thing. been in touch with Merc, what a waste of space. no info, no help and just said there is a website i can subscribe to for more info. WHAT !!!!!!!!! the customer has bought 4 high end merc's of these people, one being a AMG 53 estate, the other S350. Mercedes can't be bothered to help ? what a sham. I know the charge point works as i have tested it with my own papa smurf and it charges as it should.

As I've done the install i feel duty bound to get this fixed for the customer but i don't know what else to do. sensible suggestions please. if not crap suggestions are better than none.

Hopefully

Pete

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Is it trying to do fancy power level adjustments, or just dishing out straight up 16A type 2...

Why not try another charger from a different make? Even just for testing purposes. If you plug it into a Rolec and it firest up and charges perfectly, then clearly the charger is doing something a bit weird.

·
www.zeroevltd.co.uk
64 Posts
that is the next step. to swap out the charger for a plug and play type. issue is that everything has to be smart so soon. I have done assorts, software changes, power take off ramp ups/ downs/ limits etc. changed earthing types TNCS/ TT etc. I'm stumped. not good for an installer to be at a dead end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an update on the original issue if anyone is interested ...

We recently had another example of the Smart refusing to start/dashboard warning which caused my wife a great deal of inconvenience, so we booked it into the Smart/Mercedes dealer again.

This time they tell us they have found a Battery Management related fault code (P0AF81C).
They say it wasn't apparent last time it was on the diagnostics as it needs to occur several times before its flagged up as an issue.
They tell us that they need to get some specific tools in to allow them to detach the HV battery in order to fix the issue.

So it ‘looks’ like they have admitted to or found an issue with the Smart – but they are unable to give me any real specifics – I'll post again with any progress.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts