Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum members,

I just acquired a smart ForFour. I have tried to charge it however, it charges for a few seconds, stops, starts for a few seconds and then all the green lights go out.
Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated. The car is new and I also don’t have access to the original dealer and I have taken the car overseas.

Many thanks
Jani

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Could be a mains power thing if the standards are different.
Which country did you buy it in and which are you trying to charge it in?
And what charger are you trying to use?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bought it in the UK and using it in the Cayman Islands (same as the USA for electricity). Used the charger that came with the car which states can be used with 100-400 V and 50/60 Hz. Also tried quite a few level 2 charging stations. I even tried to use a transformed to switch the 110V to 240V.

I am not sure it is a problem with the supply but a problem with the car. Are there any settings that would stop it charging?

Thanks

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
611 Posts
What sort of socket are you using it in? I think some charging units perform some sort of resistance check and don't like it if it doesn't think the wiring is up to it, eg if you plug it into 10A or lower extension lead in the UK. If you are using an extension lead, is it fully unwound too?
You mention you used a transformer, 10A is still a pretty hefty current for a transformer. And if you've tried it 110V, remember that would need a quite hefty cable to draw 10A compared to a 240V supply.
Are there any settings / buttons on the charger to reduce the current, some allow you to go down to 6A

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I read that too. The socket is in the basement of my parking garage (communal) so I am not sure.
I also used several charging stations level 2 with the same result.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
611 Posts
Yes I read that too. The socket is in the basement of my parking garage (communal) so I am not sure.
I also used several charging stations level 2 with the same result.
Oh right, if the level 2 charging stations aren't working either then it could be an issue with the car. Is there a charge port release cable in the car (not sure where the charge point is on your car, but if it's in near the boot then it will probably be in the boot, if it's at the front it may be under the bonnet) - you could try pulling that, I've had a similar issue with my Ioniq and pulling the charge port release seems to sort it.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am unfamiliar with a charge port release function. I will check the owners manual and see if that is on this car.
Thanks

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,952 Posts
Are the Level 2 charge points tethered or do you have another cable for them?

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
It seems a long shot that his type 2 cable and granny charger are both faulty, but not impossible.
It certainly sounds like a car-side issue.

@jishijet Did you charge the car OK in the UK before exporting it?

Was anything done to it to prep it for export? Some cars have a 'delivery' mode that disables some functions.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are all tethered. I have two cables one for the standard level 1 and one for level 2 for home use. I don’t have any facilities to use the untethered level 2.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems a long shot that his type 2 cable and granny charger are both faulty, but not impossible.
It certainly sounds like a car-side issue.

@jishijet Did you charge the car OK in the UK before exporting it?

Was anything done to it to prep it for export? Some cars have a 'delivery' mode that disables some functions.
I have tried about 5 charging stations so I think it is the car.
The dealer fully charged it before I arranged to transport it to the dock. I have contacted the dealer and they certainly did not mention delivery mode but I certainly will look into it.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
It sounds like something happened in transit, possibly just an overdose of salty air which has left a deposit that is conducting electricity where it shouldn't. If it was an older ICE car I'd hose the engine bay down with clean water, but that's possibly a little risky with a modern EV. But it might be worth giving the charge socket a good blast with WD-40 or other electrical spray or contact cleaner.

You mention a number of public charging points, so there are presumably other EVs on the island and thus some people who are competent to work on them, even if not Smart experienced. I'd start looking around for one of them soon.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Just because the granny charger says 100-240V, it doesn't necessarily follow that the car's onboard charger can run on 110V. I believe 200-ish volt supplies are commonly available in the US at lease, for dryers etc.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just because the granny charger says 100-240V, it doesn't necessarily follow that the car's onboard charger can run on 110V. I believe 200-ish volt supplies are commonly available in the US at lease, for dryers etc.
Yes I agree with that statement. I did however, try several level 2 charging stations with higher voltage.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It sounds like something happened in transit, possibly just an overdose of salty air which has left a deposit that is conducting electricity where it shouldn't. If it was an older ICE car I'd hose the engine bay down with clean water, but that's possibly a little risky with a modern EV. But it might be worth giving the charge socket a good blast with WD-40 or other electrical spray or contact cleaner.

You mention a number of public charging points, so there are presumably other EVs on the island and thus some people who are competent to work on them, even if not Smart experienced. I'd start looking around for one of them soon.
Car is brand new. Wouldn’t feel comfortable washing the engine bay down.
I think I will have to try to find a suitable ev garage don’t think it’s a simple fix :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts