Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want a smart eq however, I work 22 miles away from home. Would you say that commuting roughly 45 miles per day on a single charge is pushing it? Would you say it is easily achievable regardless of a couple of steepish hills along route? Looking for real world figures. Thanks.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My wife has a smart ForTwo Electric Drive (2014).
On a full charge (in winter) we can drive the 50 miles from home to Birmingham, one way, with 20% battery charge remaining. Given my scenario, I think your journey of 45 miles round trip is easily achievable.

·
Registered
144 Posts
What is its best range seen in summertime for that same/similar type journey and is that a mix of A & B roads, dual carriageways, urban etc.? Also how much does the climate control use effect its range?

·
Registered
303 Posts
What is its best range seen in summertime for that same/similar type journey and is that a mix of A & B roads, dual carriageways, urban etc.? Also how much does the climate control use effect its range?
Have never done this journey in spring or summer so can't comment. The journey is a mixture of 85% motorway and 15% A roads. The heater was used during the journey, so, presumably, in summer the range would be greater, especially if AC not used.

·
Registered
144 Posts
From your figures 60 to 65 miles sounds like your approx. winter range. So what is the average range you have seen in warmer weather under mixed driving conditions?

·
Registered
303 Posts
From your figures 60 to 65 miles sounds like your approx. winter range. So what is the average range you have seen in warmer weather under mixed driving conditions?

In summer/warmer weather the 'guessometer' shows 75 miles when battery charged to 100%. In reality I'd not push it much above 60 miles.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not sure if you are familiar with this guy's (Brit living in Finland) Youtube videos -
EQ Monkey

He bought a brand new Fortwo last July and has been keeping a spreadsheet of his average monthly range findings together with air temperature ranges. So far his findings are shown below (I have converted kms to miles) Although Finnish summer temperatures do not differ that much from the UK it does gets colder sooner and winter is much more harsh.
Notice yours is a 2014, do you suspect a little battery degredation?
Smart fortwo EQ range Finland.JPG

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not sure if you are familiar with this guy's (Brit living in Finland) Youtube videos -

Notice yours is a 2014, do you suspect a little battery degredation?
View attachment 106134

I'm not aware of any battery degradation. My estimates are on the conservative side. My wife's smart ED was registered in December 2014, and has only covered 4500 miles, perhaps the battery needs some long runs and charges to 'condition'.
I would broadly agree with the Finnish driver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts