Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Smart EQ ForFour
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Smart EQ (ForTwo or ForFour) owners -

Any luck with the "Smart Charging" function in the app? I can't get the car to take any notice of the "smart charging" times I set.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Smart EQ (ForTwo or ForFour) owners -

Any luck with the "Smart Charging" function in the app? I can't get the car to take any notice of the "smart charging" times I set.
You are supposed to set a departure time to enable this, have you done that.
TBH I too can’t seem to get it to work so I have added a “Shelly” controller to the charger and that works fine”

·
Registered
Smart EQ ForFour
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I figured it out in the end after a few emails back and forth with app support.

Essentially, the system's prime directive is to charge the car to 100%, or as close as it possibly can, by the set departure time.

It will then "prioritise" charging during the "Smart Charging" hours you set, but will happily charge outside those hours if it needs to in order to reach 100% by the departure time.

So, unfortunately you can't use the system to set a hard stop time, if for example you want to limit charge to less than 100% to battery-health reasons. This is a shame given that the car's manual specifically says charging to 100% may cause premature battery ageing!

So in short you can use it to take advantage of cheap overnight tariffs, but you can't use it to limit charging to a set maximum or time limit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts