Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a chance to look around a 68 plate Smart, I was surprised to find out that a lot of the parts in the cabin are 1 to 1 with my 2017 Zoe. 馃槀
The satnav system is exactly the same, they've changed few of the icons to look different but the layout, the hard buttons everything is the same even the pull lever for opening the door from inside.
Anyone willing to share some information for educational reasons please.
The Smart is 17.5 kWh so I guess the real life range is around 60/70 miles mark but it cost about 30% more than the Zoe 馃槀馃槀馃槀. Mercedes influence methink....
The floor is yours...

Zoe Devotee
The SMART is basically a Renault Twingo. The EV Twingo never arrived, in fact I see Renault have killed the Twingo in the UK..

Reactions: Padrino

Registered
Renault Zoe 50
The EV Twingo never arrived, in fact I see Renault have killed the Twingo in the UK..
EV Twingo was announced in August. Zoe motor and 22 kW charging, so pretty cool:

A lot of parts are from Valeo, including the driver assist and infotainment (I think). Hence they may be common to other cars.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The SMART is basically a Renault Twingo. The EV Twingo never arrived, in fact I see Renault have killed the Twingo in the UK..
This explains all the parts from Renault parts bin, well everyday is a school day. I am learning something new all the time. Thanks Sandy.馃憤

Zoe Devotee
EV Twingo was announced in August. Zoe motor and 22 kW charging, so pretty cool:

A lot of parts are from Valeo, including the driver assist and infotainment (I think). Hence they may be common to other cars.
Unless its a "new" Twingo, the current Twingo is now delisted from UK as an available new car. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
With ZS EV and MG5 estate both available from 20,495 the market for city EVs is probably pretty weak right now.

Registered
Renault Zoe 50
Smart is owned by Daimler so seems weird they are using Renault parts.
As mentioned before, they're not Renault parts, they're Valeo parts. ;)

Renault and Daimler are also collaborating on the new Twingo/Smart platform.

Car manufacturers do it all the time to save money on the low end cars.

Registered
ONTO/Evezy 拢50 Code: CADA7
MB were using Renault diseasel engines in previous A Class I think.

Assume other collaborations exist.
The previous shape was made by Mercedes themselves, but the new A and B Class are using the same diesel engines from the Renault Clio and Megane. I Believe the Mercedes pickup trucks and small vans use the diesel engines from the Nissan Navara too.

It's a very common thing. Just very few people know or even care enough about their cars to know that parts are shared a lot, or sometimes even entire cars are copied across brands.

Registered
All Minis have Renault engines I believe. Kadjar and Quashquai have the same chassis.

Smart and Twingo are made on the same production line, belonging to Renault, at Cleon. The new CEO of Mercedes-Benz wants to kill the deal, because Renault receives a lot of technological know-how, but Mercedes only reduces costs. Mercedes X-class is the same as Renault Alaskan. Current Mercedes A-class and Renault Megane have the same chassis, the same power-trains.

For more details, last year: Daimler's tie-up with Renault-Nissan may be running out of road

Most small ICE vehicles will be discontinued soon in Europe. The emission constraints are so stringent that a lot of the manufacturers cannot make engines for small vehicles to meet the criteria. However, they must keep fleet emissions below a specific threshold and so they have to go hybrid/electric on many models.

Opel discontinued the Adam, a wonderful and adorable little car; Corsa is now the smallest model. Peugeot's smallest vehicle now is the 108, but I doubt it will have a long life; e208 will soon be their smallest. Seat/Skoda/VW mini trio will probably face the same fate, at least ICE will probably be ended in 2021/2022.

Smart is no longer available in mainland Europe as ICE vehicle, all their vehicles are now in the EQ range, all electric. Twingo ICE will be discontinued and will only be available as electric. In the UK, the market for the Twingo is small and the vehicle is unprofitable; with Brexit coming in, it is not justified for Renault to sell the electric Twingo in the UK because it doesn't help them on reducing fleet emissions (per EU regulation), and they make almost no profit on it.

Registered
MG EZS 2020
Seat/Skoda/VW mini trio will probably face the same fate, at least ICE will probably be ended in 2021/2022.
Haven't they already declared that those models (Up!,Mii and Citigo) will only be electric going forward?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts