Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Smart Electric Cabrio 2017 and - wait for it - a few days ago it indicated a red warning light "Malfunction Visit Workshop" or similar after inserting the key.
It was relayed to the local Mercedes Agent for repair - the main drive battery had failed after 1700 miles.
It gets worse - a replacement battery is unobtainable!
And even worse - the dealership in Cornwall could not provide further information and referred me to Smart Customer Assistance to sort the problem out myself!
A replacement hire car was only available for 3 days from Smart Road Assistance and none was forthcoming from the dealership.
As I understand no Smart electric vehicles are being delivered due to the batteries being unobtainable.
I am now waiting for a resolution for Customer assistance but have no car.

Smart Customer Assist are now dealing with the problem and they have escalated to a senior member of staff but they are waiting for a response from the Mercedes dealership in Truro Cornwall who have not yet replied to them. I would have expected any concerned dealership to have at least have offered a loan service car until resolution, but maybe I expect too much from high end dealerships in this part of the world.

More to follow - hopefully positive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there, any further information? Did you reject the car? I'm still going to test drive one of these to see how different it is from the current combustion Smart I have

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Rejecting a car isnt a simple procedure. You do have to give the supplier the opportunity of repairing it.
If this didnt get resplved or for others in a similar situation.
My guess is by saying the part is unobtainable, they are covering themselves, as presumably they have not said they wont or cant repair it.
But there has to be a reasonable probability that the car is to be repaired in a reasonable time. I would suggest that you write to the dealer (signed for delivery) and give them a specific time for return of your car in a fully working condition. Your contract of sale is with the Garage / franchise, not Smart them selves. Whilst Smart may be able to assist, legally they didnt supply you with the car.
Is there any form of finance involved? If so tell them, and you could try refusing to pay whilst the car is not available to you. They would also have some responsibility to provide an alternative vehicle / repair as they have an interest in the vehicle.
Not good when the dealer wont reply. Im dealing with a relative who has a used Skoda thats using a ltr of oil every 250 miles. Initially the dealer didnt reply to her telephone calls, and ignored a signed for letter. Im in the trade (EV Repairs, conversions and EV conversion parts, and occasional sales of EVs) I called, spoke to a sales man, who said the chap I needed to speak to wasnt there. I then stated that if I did not get a call on a certain day, we would now be taking legal action against them for recovery of all cost and the purchase price of the car, and that I would not be calling them again before taking this action. Not a threat, but an explanation of what was to happen. I also pointed out the costs involved with us taking action, and all those costs would also be recoverable. The owner did finally call on the allotted day.
And basically caved in, but he also has to be given the opportunity of repair before rejection/ refund etc.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have a new Smart Electric Cabrio 2017 and - wait for it - a few days ago it indicated a red warning light "Malfunction Visit Workshop" or similar after inserting the key.
It was relayed to the local Mercedes Agent for repair - the main drive battery had failed after 1700 miles.
It gets worse - a replacement battery is unobtainable!
And even worse - the dealership in Cornwall could not provide further information and referred me to Smart Customer Assistance to sort the problem out myself!
A replacement hire car was only available for 3 days from Smart Road Assistance and none was forthcoming from the dealership.
As I understand no Smart electric vehicles are being delivered due to the batteries being unobtainable.
I am now waiting for a resolution for Customer assistance but have no car.

Smart Customer Assist are now dealing with the problem and they have escalated to a senior member of staff but they are waiting for a response from the Mercedes dealership in Truro Cornwall who have not yet replied to them. I would have expected any concerned dealership to have at least have offered a loan service car until resolution, but maybe I expect too much from high end dealerships in this part of the world.

More to follow - hopefully positive.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Interested in your experience of the Smart cabrio EV as my wife and I recently test drove one. For a company that is going completely electric they seem to be having some transition problems. For example they have very few cars available; hardly any demonstrators and are probably doing some upgrades to be announced at the Frankfurt Motor Show next month.
In addition to your battery issues I wondered how you found the ride quality over less than perfect roads, views about range and also value for money?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quite like the look of these. Hopefully they get the battery issues sorted and announce a bigger range in Frankfurt next month

·
Registered
310 Posts
Quite like the look of these. Hopefully they get the battery issues sorted and announce a bigger range in Frankfurt next month
Yes there have been pieces written about the upgrade of the four four so hopeful they will upgrade the cabrio. It needs a bit more range; the price needs to come down and they need to improve the suspension in my view.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts