Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t have a smart meter yet but I’m looking at accelerating a switch to Octopus now my existing supplier isn’t tying me in since they went bust.

I want to be able to access the smart meter data, including instantaneous consumption without relying on a website or app. This should be possible using a Consumer Access Device (CAD) but Octopus don’t supply them. I can buy a third party one but they want to suck my data into the cloud and make me retrieve it from there.

According to the Electricity Supply Regulations, the licensee (supplier) must make available all data stored within the smart metering system (which would include instantaneous consumption) free of charge. I’ve asked Octopus how they comply with the requirement but so far they have been silent.

Does anyone have a CAD working with a smart meter? If so, what data can you get from it and how?

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
659 Posts
Isn't it just the in-home display. I had one supplied by the installer, which was SMS.

Mine shows instantaneous consumption, and daily/ weekly/ monthly/ annual usage. It also shows a cost, but this is pretty meaningless on Agile, since it can't show half-hourly pricing. That's a limitation down to the way the pricing data is pushed to the IHD.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,631 Posts
I was given an In-Home Display unit shortly after I moved to octopus when I had my electric smart meter installed, still waiting on a smart gas meter as the installer was not qualified to work on my 'high pressure' supply.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,505 Posts
Is that it for data we can gather from smart meters?

In-home display isn't exactly smart, it's just a dumb display that displays the information in an outdated format. I can't automate my tumble dryer with IHD, I can't start/stop my car's charging with the IHD.

I run Home Assistant for home automation and OpenEnergyMonitor's EmonCMS for solar+usage data gathering. Both gets consumption numbers from CT clamps and no gas usage data. I would love to get more accurate data from the actual meters.

(I'm still sitting on dumb meter until those smart meters can be integrated into smart home, until they are actually smart)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Does anyone have a CAD working with a smart meter? If so, what data can you get from it and how?

Currently out of stock, but more expected this month.

They also offer an app called ‘Bright’ which can work without the CAD by accessing DCC data directly, after you’ve authenticated using the GUID of the IHD. It pulls data almost continuously, so while not real-time like the CAD but usually less than an hour behind.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked at the Glowmarkt one but you have to access the data from their cloud API. I’m looking for a CAD that I can access directly and they said specifically that they do not allow that (I guess because they want my data).

I have solar and I’ve modified my Rolec controller so I can control the charge level so I would like an instantaneous energy reading from the meter to my home automation system (OpenHAB) as a data feed. I could use a current clamp but a CAD should cost similar and be 100% accurate.

They also offer an app called ‘Bright’ which can work without the CAD by accessing DCC data directly, after you’ve authenticated using the GUID of the IHD. It pulls data almost continuously, so while not real-time like the CAD but usually less than an hour behind.
Do you know if you have the CAD if the data is any more current/detailed?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I looked at the Glowmarkt one but you have to access the data from their cloud API. I’m looking for a CAD that I can access directly and they said specifically that they do not allow that (I guess because they want my data).

I have solar and I’ve modified my Rolec controller so I can control the charge level so I would like an instantaneous energy reading from the meter to my home automation system (OpenHAB) as a data feed. I could use a current clamp but a CAD should cost similar and be 100% accurate.

Do you know if you have the CAD if the data is any more current/detailed?
If my recent SMETS2 meter installation is anything to go by, Octopus is supplying the Chameleon IHD6 with CAD. The CAD function is currently not supported. Hildebrand also offers the Bright App and with this app it is possible to pull data; ie, update the amount used - both for electricity and gas.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If my recent SMETS2 meter installation is anything to go by, Octopus is supplying the Chameleon IHD6 with CAD. The CAD function is currently not supported. Hildebrand also offers the Bright App and with this app it is possible to pull data; ie, update the amount used - both for electricity and gas.
Interesting. Octopus said that supply IHD and not CAD, although if the CAD is there but disabled, I guess that’s true.

Bright doesn’t give you instantaneous consumption so won’t work to calculate the solar excess available to divert to the car.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hildebrand provides an API with realtime queue; if your Bright account has their CAD enrolled then you get near realtime data (updated every 10 seconds for electricity).

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Your can access Agile Octopus usage data through their API or apps like Octowatchdog

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Your can access Agile Octopus usage data through their API or apps like Octowatchdog
But not on the day whereas BrightApp gives daily data updated with a simple swipe of the App. Data flow is arguably more reliable. BrightApp uses an in-house Adaptor whereas Octopus uses TMA/CGI.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies. If I understand it, Bright can get data from the DCC but not in real-time, however if you combine a the Bright app with the Hidebrand CAD, it can update the server more quickly and hence provide pseudo real time data back through the API.

Might be my only option if there isn‘t a way to interrogate a CAD directly. Seems crazy to only ba able to see my own data after it has been transmitted to and retrieved from a data centre that might be miles away.

More worrying is having to rely on a 3rd party who state that their business model is not to allow direct access to the CAD, which presumably means at some point they could start charging to access the data. The energy supplier has a license obligation to provide the data free of charge but doesn’t. Not exactly helpful to the cause of rolling out smart meters that are supposed to be great because they tell you about your consumption if you can’t get the consumption data in anything other than a display and a human eyeball.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,505 Posts
More worrying is having to rely on a 3rd party who state that their business model is not to allow direct access to the CAD, which presumably means at some point they could start charging to access the data.
OWL Intuition did exactly that. Though its LAN multicast still operates without a subscription, so at least they got that right.

I guess OpenHAB and Home Assistant have the same goal: to integration smart home WITHOUT cloud services. Apart from voice assistances, all other smart home devices in my house will continue to operate without internet connection. I totally agree how stupid it is to be mandatory for the data go to a remote server.
/rant

On HA, there's a similar thread. Some energy suppliers provide API for you to access your data:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts