Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having got our Kona just before lockdown we were stymied by not getting our smart meter upgrade done. Well I have just had an email from Ecotricity to stay that smart meter installations are restarting. So if you are waiting as well then expect an email soon.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome news indeed. Same here and I just got my Octopus smart meter appointment for next Friday hurrah.

Not that I'll be driving very far haha. Just need to figure out who's best to provide a charge point now.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Just booked mine with Octopus. Would have gone a week Monday but we have builders in and I suspect they'd want power. Booked for August.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,987 Posts
Just booked mine with Octopus. Would have gone a week Monday but we have builders in and I suspect they'd want power. Booked for August.
A smart meter install only takes an hour or two, but when I had mine done, they'd only give a morning/afternoon window for the electrician's arrival.

·
Registered
219 Posts
45 mins. They failed on the gas smart part of install just electric. He was here 1.5 horus total as the pairing of the internal monitoring failed first time and needed reset.

Gas failure was due to the meter being fitted "oddly" apparently and we need to query it with the gas piping supplier to fix before they can have another go.

·
Registered
2020 - Audi Etron 50 Sport on order
33 Posts
I have posted in another thread, not seeing this one...

How long have people waited for a smart meter install? I joined Octopus two weeks ago. I know there will be a wait, just curious to see how long.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have posted in another thread, not seeing this one...

How long have people waited for a smart meter install? I joined Octopus two weeks ago. I know there will be a wait, just curious to see how long.
It looks like not very long (@RunningStrong appears to have been offered a date within a week of asking!), which I'm slightly annoyed about, as I had an isolation switch install booked for the week they stopped doing installs due to lockdown. They restarted installs weeks ago, and after a number of (conflicting) emails and a phone call I was told I would be put "on the list" but they couldn't tell me when it would be done. That must have been about three weeks ago and still nothing.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The Octopus Operations Director told me earlier this week that he expected meters for new 'switchers' to be installed between 1-2 months from the date of the switch. Unless you are in the Highlands and Islands or in a Lockdown area ie Leicester where there will be continuing delays

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mines literally been done just now, only took an hour and they kindly fitted an isolation switch too so all set for ev charge point install next when I figure out what to pair with the solar panels.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I've been waiting for an Octopus Smart meter install since October 2019. I had several emails about delays in 2019 and nothing since.

Not particually interested in the Go Tariff anymore. I'm driving less than 100 miles a month down from 1100.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mines literally been done just now, only took an hour and they kindly fitted an isolation switch too so all set for ev charge point install next when I figure out what to pair with the solar panels.
I put an isolation switch in recently when I changed the consumer unit. I've got a charger (Pod Point) installed too. Now just need the car.

I see many get the Zappi for using solar power. I have a small 3Kw array so not great but I do think it'd be better to pay for the Zappi as opposed to taking the free Pod Point.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
There's still Tracker and Agile to consider. Email Phil at Octopus and you'll get sorted out.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I put an isolation switch in recently when I changed the consumer unit. I've got a charger (Pod Point) installed too. Now so just need the car.

I see many get the Zappi for using solar power. I have a small 3Kw array so not great but I do think it'd be better to pay for the Zappi as opposed to taking the free Pod Point.
The Zappi is very good but at a premium price - also consider the ChargedEV Smart+ which offers support for Agile and solar. If you get rid of your PodPoint just beware that OLEV might want their money back if it is within 6 months.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There's still Tracker and Agile to consider. Email Phil at Octopus and you'll get sorted out.
The Tracker tariff wasn't shown to me when I signed up. I put in a request about a week later to Octopus via their Facebook page and it was changed within a couple of hours. The electricity price is 20% cheaper than the 'Fixed February 2020' tariff I was on:

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Zappi is very good but at a premium price - also consider the ChargedEV Smart+ which offers support for Agile and solar. If you get rid of your PodPoint just beware that OLEV might want their money back if it is within 6 months.
Oh dear, the ChargedEV was also offered to me for free via the lease company. An opportunity missed...

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I need to run a new set of quotes. Just had notice that both of us will mostly be working from home at least until December. I'm currently working one day a week and on furlough the other four.

Pre-lockdown the i3 was about 40% of our total electric usage. Now it is more like 4%.

Working from home is saving us a ton of money.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts