Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, sorry if I am going over old ground but with latest roll out of smart meters I am wondering if I would benefit from getting one installed with some sort of off peak tariff. Anyone had any experience yet ? (Just don't say BG - I've blacked them for life:mad:)

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
From what I've seen online, there aren't as yet any smart tariffs available. So the only benefit currently is that you don't have to let a meter reader in a couple of times a year or contact your energy supplier to correct their estimates between readings. Essentially you'd be a guinea pig and the data they collect on your usage will go towards pricing up future smart tariffs.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think British Gas do one that has free leccy on Saturdays and maybe cheaper rates at off peak times but I haven't found any others yet......

·
Registered
704 Posts
From what I've seen online, there aren't as yet any smart tariffs available. So the only benefit currently is that you don't have to let a meter reader in a couple of times a year or contact your energy supplier to correct their estimates between readings. Essentially you'd be a guinea pig and the data they collect on your usage will go towards pricing up future smart tariffs.
Oh yes there are. We have a British Gas smart meter. We use the EV tariff which has a high rate between 4and 8 pm. So we have 20 hours at the lower rate. This is not as cheap as off peak tariff but more flexible as we can charge in the daytime at a lower rate.
The smart meter tells us what it is costing at any time and recent costs.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF 24kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
343 Posts
It's a maze on the BG website but their "20 hour off-peak, 4 hour higher rate" Off-peak saver tariff is shown as:

Supplier: British Gas (British Gas Trading Ltd)
Tariff name: Off Peak Saver
Tariff type: Variable
Payment method: Monthly Direct Debit
Every day 4pm-8pm unit rate: 18.110p per kWh
All other times unit rate: 11.230p per kWh
Standing charge: 26.000p per day

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF 24kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
343 Posts
Another happy Ovo customer here too.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I looked at ecomomy 7 when I got the leaf, even charging only at night it wasn't possible to recoup the £62 cost of installing the ecomomy 7 meter as the daytime rate was 20p+ so I stayed away.

Will look forward to smart meters that can instruct the leaf to charge when the energy suppliers want to dump their generation for free that would be great.

·
Registered
704 Posts
It's a maze on the BG website but their "20 hour off-peak, 4 hour higher rate" Off-peak saver tariff is shown as:

Supplier: British Gas (British Gas Trading Ltd)
Tariff name: Off Peak Saver
Tariff type: Variable
Payment method: Monthly Direct Debit
Every day 4pm-8pm unit rate: 18.110p per kWh
All other times unit rate: 11.230p per kWh
Standing charge: 26.000p per day
Just checked my smart meter and at the moment I am paying 10.40p per KWh (the off peak rate

·
Registered
610 Posts
Smart Meters cannot control the load - they just switch registered when the timer tells them to. If you didn't have an EV with a programmable start charge time, it wouldn't work.

I'm using a dumb meter, on EDF, with OP power from 00:00:00 to 08:30:00 daily*. This feeds my Rolec Wallpod with its own internal timer, that makes the Wallpod live from 00:05:00 to 08:20:00 so all my recharging is at the off peak rate.

*this is achieved with a RadioTeleswitch installed instead of the usual timeclock with clockwork backup. It takes its signals from the BBC radio Long Wave signal.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Seems a bit of a fallacy to me as I'm 10p a kWh all day with Ovo!
Really? I just got quoted 11.5p and a massive 29p/day standing charge... Interestingly they seem to think they'll be £35/year more expensive, my spreadsheet says £90.92/year more...

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have considered smart meters but I don't want to leave Ecotricity at the moment. I pay 16p/day standing charge then 6p / kWh at night and 16p in the day for electricity from 100% renewable sources.

Works for me.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have considered smart meters but I don't want to leave Ecotricity at the moment. I pay 16p/day standing charge then 6p / kWh at night and 16p in the day for electricity from 100% renewable sources.

Works for me.
I think I might just go with ecotricity to support the cause too though we don't have E7.
We don't do enough ev miles to justify the higher peak rate or the cost of teleswitches but maybe the smart meters will shake the market into action.
Slight worry is we will lose some of our Fitt export bonus with the smart meters but only 3p so not gonna cry too much :confused:

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
@Guesty worth asking ecotricity to fit the meter for free. Good energy did for me when I told them it was because I'd got an EV.

Reactions: kentish zoe

·
Registered
340 Posts
I got my supplier to fit Economy 7 meter free of charge and then promptly switched to Flow Energy:-
Standing charge 17.7p/day
day rate 14.35p/kwh
night rate 5.31p/kwh
incls VAT
beat that!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts