Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Looked a while ago before this virus hit us to get a smet 2 fitted, so I can change my tariff.

At the time there was a lot of issues with smet 2 and its connection. It appeared it was a up north issue (above Birmingham I believe was the rough line). If I remember rightly, when I enquired they had stopped fitting them due to this issue.

Anybody know if this has been sorted, or have we just ploughed on with fitting them anyway.

Now looking to get one fitted.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I'm in NE England and had a SMETS2 Meter fitted by Siemens on behalf of ESB Energy. No problems getting one booked for install to replaced a SMETS1, and no connection problems to report either, other than the very occasional brief outage where it might miss the odd 30-minute report (happens maybe once or twice per month)

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,563 Posts
In theory it works pretty much everywhere, in practice it depends on whether the meter can communicate with the Arqiva wotnot via their Long Range Radio system, which is generally based on geography - if you're in an old stone house at the bottom of a valley in the middle of a rural idyll it might not work.

The other issue is if you're in one of the arbitrary areas where it's deemed you need a 450MHz comms hub. These were supposed to be available.... now, but Octopus have told me not to expect something until at least summer next year. It's a baffling failure of the DCC/Arqiva/government, I can't blame this one on Octopus.

You might need a 450 hub if you're near some military bases. You don't even have to be particularly close. I'm 27 miles, as the crow flies, from RAF Fylingdales but the DCC won't allow a meter to be commissioned because I'm in the exclusion zone.... I suspect it's 30 miles.

If you're with Octopus, e-mail [email protected] and see what they say. They've got better at not wasting time installing a meter that can't be commissioned, which I think is one of the reasons the ditched SMS and now directly employ the installers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts