Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I look at my smart meter right now it says the cost of electricity per hour is £0.03. Does anyone know how this relates to the cost per hour shown on octopus agile rate table. Surely they should show the same value. Or am I naiive? In fact if I log into my agile account the rate shown right now is £9.92 - presumably per hour.

Is the smart meter showing my actual cost, per hour?

·
Registered
416 Posts
If I look at my smart meter right now it says the cost of electricity per hour is £0.03. Does anyone know how this relates to the cost per hour shown on octopus agile rate table. Surely they should show the same value. Or am I naiive? In fact if I log into my agile account the rate shown right now is £9.92 - presumably per hour.

Octopus periodically take the meter readings but they don’t frequently update the meter rate table. What you get on the IHD is accurate in energy but not in rate.

There’s an aftermarket unit that reads the meter and matches that with online rate table data to get what I think you want.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
No. I presume that you are looking at your In Home Display (IHD) rather than reading the meter directly. As @Bullterrier says this is Ok in terms of electricity but it cannot cope without knowing the unit price so is wrong in terms of cost.
Your Octopus website on the other hand is nearly correct in terms of the rate per kWh (but it's in pence not £), but it doesn't know your current rate of electricity consumption and ignores the standing charge. Octopus do not receive realtime usage data, instead 30 minute meter readings roughly every 24 hours.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you're interested in seeing accurate up-to-date energy data in realtime, the OpenEnergyMonitor range does this. It requires some IT expertise and isn't exactly plug-and-play, but is very powerful. I bought one for keeping an eye on my solar PV but it works really well with Agile too.
ttps://openenergymonitor.org/

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
If you're interested in seeing accurate up-to-date energy data in realtime, the OpenEnergyMonitor range does this. It requires some IT expertise and isn't exactly plug-and-play, but is very powerful. I bought one for keeping an eye on my solar PV but it works really well with Agile too.
So might this device:

The Hildebrand Developer posted this on another forum earlier this week:

This morning I have released a new Agile Screen

The new screen now shows, more or less in realtime, the cost/hour at your current rate of use, using the Agile tariff for the next 3 30 minute periods.

It is updated every 10 seconds where no other command is pending for your IHD.
The Today cost is now updated every 5 minutes

The This Week and This month are updated every 15 minutes

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, if I had solar this would be a must. That leave me with a big question which is, is the standard IHD fit for purpose? It's supposed to display both the cost & rate of electricity used. If it can't do one right then how can it do the other! Or does it display cost of electricity used by reading back from somewhere in the cloud?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks, if I had solar this would be a must. That leave me with a big question which is, is the standard IHD fit for purpose? It's supposed to display both the cost & rate of electricity used. If it can't do one right then how can it do the other! Or does it display cost of electricity used by reading back from somewhere in the cloud?
The consumption data is spot on and direct from the meter.

Today Octopus can’t/don’t update the rate data in the meter to match the dynamic tarrifs and so the cost data is not correct.

That’s ‘how it is’ with the current implementation as the IHD can only take data from the meters and that data for cost-per-unit is not accurate.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The standard IHD along with a SMETS2 meter are indeed ‘fit for purpose’. The latter is capable of holding the tariff data for 48 by 30 minute periods. The ‘problem’ is that suppliers have to pay each time that the tariff data is changed in the meter. Presumably, this cost would have to be passed on to customers.

Given that Chameleon offers an IHD3 with CAD and an IHD 6, I cannot understand why the IHD cost calculation couldn’t be done using meter usage data and tariff data downloaded from the internet as per the Hildebrand offering.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts