Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can confirm that Octopus have put SMETS-2 on hold for now. They told me this when I asked about switching to the GO tariff.

Looks like working smart meters are still a way off.

What a mess.
I am in the middle of switch to Octopus (from EDF). I have SMETS2 meters installed and the information I have from Octopus Energy is that they are continuing to install SMETS2 meters ( though there could be constraints in specific regions) and provide Agile and Go tariffs over SMETS2. The reasons I am moving is to use Go (instead of Eco-7) and Octopus Outgoing Agile for export, as I already have SMETS2. I have had discussions on feasibility of this setup with Octopus and it is after their assurances that I am proceeding.

My switch will be completed later in Jun and I can provide an update once the Go and Outgoing Agile are setup. The outgoing also involves a change of FIT registration, so could take a bit more longer! I expect some teething problems, however, considering the fact that my energy readings are flowing half-hourly to EDF through intermediaries, I don't see too much of an issue!

·
Super Moderator
10,794 Posts
OK. Either things changed or someone at Ocotopus is misinformed. Since you already have a working SMETS-2 meter you are in a different situation.

My email from June 14, six days ago.

We can install a smart meter for customers looking to switch to this tariff who don't have one already. If you don’t have one, you can sign up to any of our existing tariffs which don’t require a smart meter, and get you onto the Go tariff when that’s been installed. ...
Please note that our smart meter installation process has been put on hold since we intend to start rolling out the second generation of smart meters soon, which means your meters will be compatible with all suppliers and you do not need to worry about getting another smart meter if you change suppliers. We are doing some tests now, but as soon as we start enrolling SMETS 2 we can let you know

·
Registered
219 Posts
Jun 18th I was advised that they were hoping to arrange something in a couple of weeks but unable to advise exact date.
Occurs to me now this may or may not be SMETS2 so asked for clarification.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Jun 18th I was advised that they were hoping to arrange something in a couple of weeks but unable to advise exact date.
Occurs to me now this may or may not be SMETS2 so asked for clarification.
I think Octopus are still installing SMETS1 meters for customers who push for it and aren't willing to wait for a SMETS2, though they're reluctant to unless you ask as it doesn't count towards smart meter installation targets unless it's a SMETS2.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I thought ALL meter changes had to be SMETS 2 after March?
I want to get onto the Octopus Go tariff, but am tied in to EDF until September, my existing meter is a dumb meter.
Also just to make life difficult, I have limited space in my meter cupboard so can only have a SMETS 2 of smaller dimensions fitted.
I will have to check with Octopus to see which meters they are fitting.

·
Premium Member
9,669 Posts
Our SMETS2 meters were installed yesterday and I have asked to be moved to Octopus Go tariff, but am told it can take a while (2 weeks?) for them to get readings! It wasn't a smooth install, but at least all working - I believe! They have also confirmed that we can easily switch between Go and Agile - we might switch to Agile over winter as spend a lot of it in Florida.

In Florida our readings are available immediately on the FPL web site where we can drill down to see hourly export/import (we have PV). I guess that is a benefit of a supply monopoly that they can design their solution in isolation to other providers, etc. FPL introduced smart meters to save them money on reading them (customer readings are not common) and managing outages. No fluff about consumers saving money :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
There is no need for a "supply monopoly" to sort out this mess with metering, we only need a system when a single company is responsible for all metering in an area. It would also save lots of money.

·
Premium Member
9,669 Posts
There is no need for a "supply monopoly" to sort out this mess with metering, we only need a system when a single company is responsible for all metering in an area. It would also save lots of money.
I am not suggesting a supplier monoply for UK as downsides too, just that it seems to have been a lot easier to deploy Smart meters where FPL had one.

·
Super Moderator
10,794 Posts
In the meantime, non-smart tariffs on Octopus are more expensive for us than Ecotricity.

Not much point in switching.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
My SMETS 2 Smart Tariff Saga - UPDATE
So Far:
  • SMETS2 Meter installed by Bulb so they can supply their Smart 3 rate tariff. Immediately following install Bulb tell me their back end not currently equipped to communicate with SMETS2 meters they've installed and no idea when it will be. Can't even supply me with Economy7.
  • Following in depth conversation with the cheapest 100% renewables Economy7 supplier, we switch to Yorkshire Energy after they confirm repeatedly that they can definitely supply our SMETS2 meter installed by Bulb/Siemens with Economy7 electricity - On the day supply starts, they tell me they can only supply single rate, not Economy7.
Yorkshire, whilst trying to swerve responsibility for misinforming me in the same way that Bulb had, did manage to clear up the problems with the SMETS2 meter Bulb had contracted Siemens to install.
It seems all SMETS2 meters being installed by Bulb are installed as Single Rate. Until the supplier has the technology to communicate with its own SMETS2 meters via DCC, they will be unable to make the meter accept anything other than single rate tariffs. So no chance of getting Smart, dual or multi rate tariffs until that happens.

Small suppliers such as Yorkshire who don't currently fit Smart meters at all, have no relationship with DCC and therefore can't update the meter either.

The biggest firms all have that relationship, so I did some more exploring.

In the end I made some enquiries with EDF and had a call back from a member of their Go Electric team - This new Smart tariff offering cheap rate between 2100 and 0700hrs every night and all day and night on both weekend days, also just happens to work out to be the cheapest forward for us.

The guy I'm dealing with their made enquiries over a couple of days and came back with the following new and a plan:

Yes, they have a proper relationship with DCC and they can certainly update SMETS2 Smart meters installed by other suppliers, where the supplier at the point of installation was able to communicate with its only newly installed meter.

What the technical bods aren't sure about is whether they can do anything to update a SMETS2 meter that hasn't previously been communicated with by its installing supplier.

We've all decided to give it a go and see what happens - That means switching to EDF's standard tariff, which after a bit of hunting I managed to get down to less than the cost of Yorkshire's. Once we're switched, EDF will have access to the data DCC have on us and will be able to attempt to access and update our SMETS2 meter.

If that doesn't work, there's a fail-safe - They'll report it as faulty and have one of their own SMETS2 meters installed so that should finally sort things out.

Have to say, I am really pleasantly surprised by the dedication of and the interest shown in the situation by what sounds like a small and knowledgeable bunch in the Go Electric department.

Tariffs vary regionally, but what some who have said this new tariff is too expensive have ignored is that fact that it's 10 hours of cheap rate energy every night and for the whole of the weekend. If one is able to shift the bulk of usage into those time zones whether it be charging the car, laundry, dishwasher etc, then it should work out to being very good value.

They seem to be thinking ahead too - There'll come a time when EV battery sizes are to a point where 7 hours a night just isn't enough to fully charge.

Anyway, fingers crossed - Should have another more positive update in about 4 weeks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
An update from end on Octopus move.

To recollect, I was on EDF and had my SMETS2 installed by EDF. I moved to Octopus so that I can use Octopus Go and Octopus Outgoing.
The move was completed on Jul 2nd. The Smart meters got configured to Octopus Energy on Jul 2nd, with my in-home-display and smart meters showing Octopus interim tariffs. I got an update this morning that they are receiving my half-hourly readings. I will be moved to Octopus Go from tonight!

Least to say, I am quite impressed with the efficiency! I might have got lucky! Great to know when the system works, it is indeed a smooth switching process.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
787 Posts
I had SMETS2 meters installed by Siemens on behalf of Bulb yesterday - all seem to be working fine.

Now keen to move to Octopus GO ASAP - does anyone know if this is actually possible given what @SJF73 has reported?

I didn't realise the Bulb weren't actually able to use the latest smart meters they are now installing to offer their own smart tariff to customers - that strikes me as a little odd to say the least.

I see it is mentioned on this blog post - but it might have been nice if they mentioned it in emails offering smart meters to customers!

As I understand it:
  • I can't currently use Bulb's smart tariff with the SMETS2 meter they installed.
  • I can switch to Octopus - but it seems I would have to switch to a standard tariff first and then try and switch to Go if they are able to communicate with the SMETS2 meters, that aren't currently set up for dual or multi-rate tarrifs.
Has anyone had SMETS2 meters installed by Bulb, and then successfully switched onto Octopus Go?

·
Registered
704 Posts
There have been several cries of pain lately from Octopus. SMETS2 rollout has been a disaster from the beginning. We're talking "bleeding edge" technology:

Octopus Blog

One comment I've read is that when they get a palette of meters the top layer on the palette doesn't work, because the manufacturers test them as a quality control sample, and somehow the test they're applying seems to brick them. Something about security initialisation?

For no readily apparent reason there are two separate networks for the North and South of the country, which seem to involve a different set-up. This despite the fact that the networking is supposed to be handled through a government monopoly DCC.

The order in which the various components of you system are booted up seems to be crucial (so what happens when there's a power outage?)..

Installation time is unpredictable, and may run to a full day. Sounds like getting it up and running involves a lot of trial and error.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I am in the middle of switch to Octopus (from EDF). I have SMETS2 meters installed and the information I have from Octopus Energy is that they are continuing to install SMETS2 meters ( though there could be constraints in specific regions) and provide Agile and Go tariffs over SMETS2. The reasons I am moving is to use Go (instead of Eco-7) and Octopus Outgoing Agile for export, as I already have SMETS2. I have had discussions on feasibility of this setup with Octopus and it is after their assurances that I am proceeding.

My switch will be completed later in Jun and I can provide an update once the Go and Outgoing Agile are setup. The outgoing also involves a change of FIT registration, so could take a bit more longer! I expect some teething problems, however, considering the fact that my energy readings are flowing half-hourly to EDF through intermediaries, I don't see too much of an issue!
Octopus blogs report on their battle with the problems of SMETS2, which is definitely still "bleeding edge" technology. What may cause different experience for different customers is that meters North of the Midlands are connected to a separate network, which seems to occasion a different set of problems to those encountered in down south. My impression is that Octopus have successfully installed quite a number of meters in the southern half of the country, but really struggle to install one "up north" (which includes your's truly). I think SMETS2 is a classic example of government IT rollout. After spending whole days trying to install down south they've just about got the hang of it, but the whole learning curve has to be climbed again before they can put mine in.

Among the problems they report is that when they buy a pallet of meters, the top layer of meters doesn't work. Apparently the manufacture's QA tests (which they apply to a "random sample") tend to brick them.

I don't think you'll get a better service from other companies, the blogs suggest that everyone who has tried putting these meters in has had all kinds of issues, and the different installers are meeting up to share knowledge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
An update from end on Octopus move.

To recollect, I was on EDF and had my SMETS2 installed by EDF. I moved to Octopus so that I can use Octopus Go and Octopus Outgoing.
The move was completed on Jul 2nd. The Smart meters got configured to Octopus Energy on Jul 2nd, with my in-home-display and smart meters showing Octopus interim tariffs. I got an update this morning that they are receiving my half-hourly readings. I will be moved to Octopus Go from tonight!

Least to say, I am quite impressed with the efficiency! I might have got lucky! Great to know when the system works, it is indeed a smooth switching process.
You got lucky. There is an active drive by Octopus to drag users onto the GO tariff.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts
About this Discussion
99 Replies
40 Participants
Lexden
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing