Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find a specific topic although I know plenty of conversations revolved around SMETS.

My question is:

Is SMETS down again? This is the second day my IHD is trying to reconnect.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
The IHD and the SMETS2 meter communicate with each other using a dedicated wireless system, entirely independent of your WiFi. Different frequencies, different protocol. Plenty of info on the web🤓

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am aware that they are independent and that my IHD gets a signal from my meter.

I'm thinking SMETS is not sending messages/data to the Utility Company or whoever, because the last time this happened no meter readings were submitted and the IHD was continually trying to connect, like now.

Hence my question.

Many Octopus customers on here commented similarly the last time the system was down.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thanks for that.

Very useful.

None of those 5 LED's are lit.

That is also visible in my photo, not that I would have noticed that or known what I was looking for.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
You should have green LED’s flashing every 5 seconds, for min. SW, WAN and HAN on the Toshiba SKU2 Cellular + MESH.

you may also have The MESH LED flashing since you have a dual comms meter.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got home after a 10hr shift.

Had a look at the meter box in the dark (obviously) all 5 LED's are green, but they flash about every second, not continuously lit. My guess is that something is faulty.

·
Registered
454 Posts

Had a look at the meter box in the dark (obviously) all 5 LED's are green, but they flash about every second, not continuously lit. My guess is that something is faulty.
As others have said, they’re not supposed to be constantly lit. They flash around about every 5 seconds.
If they do that, your meter’s functioning and sending out a signal.

All SMETS2 meters send their data to a company called The Data Collection Company, DCC.

DCC operate their own national mobile communications network.
It’s possible there’s an issue with coverage in your area generally. It’s also possible that their network coverage at your meter-point is weak/inconsistent, hence the hit and miss readings.

DCC don’t speak to we mere muggles, so no one here’s going to know the answer to your question.

Your electricity supplier’s the best and only port of call.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

Sounds like it’s failed or in a constant reboot type mode.
if you have an isolation switch, might be worth powering off supply, wait 10 seconds and then power back on again. If no change to smets2 meter, get supplier to sort out ASAP as must be faulty.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discovered this very informative post on another thread which should help confirm your issue...
Are you with OVO?

Communications Hub - Toshiba

The Communications Hub is a box of electronics which sits on top of the Electricity SMETS2 Meter (ESME). It is secured in place with an M4 bolt at the front, which has an anti-tamper seal.

The Intimate Communications Hub Interface (ICHI) connects internally between the meter itself and the Comms Hub. It is a 20-pin connector which transfers data and provides 12v DC power for the Hub.

This Forum Post describes the various Toshiba Comms Hubs which are paired with an ESME manufactured by Aclara. This combination is installed in the Southern and Central Territories of the GB Smart Meter Network, owned by DCC.

The Toshiba Comms Hub contains at least two radio-frequency transmission systems and maybe more:-

A. The Home Area Network (HAN) connects to the SMETS2 gas meter and the IHD. It operates at 2.4GHz using a protocol called Zigbee.

B. The Wide Area Network connects to the cellular masts and thence to the Data Communications Company (DCC). This utilises the O2 network 3G signals at 900MHz. There can also be a MESH network at 869MHz, which may or may not use an external aerial.

There are five green LED lights.

In normal operating conditions they flash at a low-frequency rate of 1:50

SW = software status
WAN = Wide Area Network
MESH = status of Mesh network connection (if present)
HAN = status of Home Area Network
GAS = status of gas (proxy) function

Under fault conditions, or during power-up or testing, these lights will remain on (Solid) or flash at a High- (1:5) or Medium- (1:20) frequency

In general, a High-frequency flash is indicative of an error.

A Medium-frequency flash indicates that attempts are being made to (re-)connect to the relevant network.

The Toshiba Communications Hub contains an internal battery. This allows it to remain live for 3 minutes in the event of a power cut.

If power has been lost for a period greater than 3 minutes, the Communications Hub will perform a Restart Sequence which can take several minutes. The green LEDs will flash in sequences which show the network connections being re-established.

There is another mode of operation of these five LEDS when an external aerial is connected. This allows an engineer to check the signal strength across the local Mesh network. End-users won't normally see this mode.

Reactions: 208's Plenty

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
b-c2.

Thanks for that, how informative.

However, my guess seems to have be proven correct. It would appear my now (previous supplier) arranged for the disconnection . Then yesterday my new supplier notified me they had taken over my supply and bingo the IHD has reconnected, showing my new suppliers details details.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts