Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone found a good trick to getting the cruise control to take over smoothly - without a lurching feeling?

ETA - to be clear, I’m talking only about the very initial take over by the system.

At the moment, I’m finding that often when I set or resume cruise control (especially at lower speeds) the car lurches as the application of power to the motor by the cruise control system is not smooth.

I’ve tried various methods to try and smooth it out, but none seem to be ideal or quite do the trick.

SCC response is already set to slow and, although the jerkiness is slightly less pronounced in Eco mode, it’s still not particularly smooth.

Is it just a trait of the car / Hyundai&Kia’s cruise control system, or is there a trick to make it nice and smooth like I’ve experienced in previous cars?

·
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strange. My SCC is nice and smooth at all speeds (Eco mode with 3 bars distance).
Sorry - perhaps I wasn’t clear - it’s very smooth once it’s up and running... it’s just the very initial take over of the accelerator from my foot by the system.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Strange. My SCC is nice and smooth at all speeds (Eco mode with 3 bars distance).
As is mine, although if can be a little jerky when I stop SCC, but that is easily controlled with the accelerator.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I noticed the SCC jerky takeover as well. It's since the last software update (the brake software update). At the same time the weird pulsating acceleration when you have SCC active and you overtake a car - meaning you go faster than the set speed - is gone now.

·
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I noticed the SCC jerky takeover as well. It's since the last software update (the brake software update). At the same time the weird pulsating acceleration when you have SCC active and you overtake a car - meaning you go faster than the set speed - is gone now.
Ah okay, thanks - that’s useful. My car is only a few weeks old, and I assume has all the latest updates already applied - so I have nothing to compare it with (other than previous cars where the take over was much smoother and much more refined).

·
Registered
207 Posts
I haven't found a solution for a smooth takeover yet either. Still playing around with being very gentle on taking the foot off the accelerator, but it seems like that's not making a difference.

·
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought I had found a way - of having the programmed speed slightly lower than your current speed, so that when SCC is engaged there is no jerkiness. I think that does work - but the trouble is that, as far as I can tell, the system doesn’t allow you to set or alter the programmed speed unless SCC is already engaged (unlike other cars).

All in all, I think it might just be a trait of a system being implemented by a less than premium brand - unfortunately.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
having the programmed speed slightly lower than your current speed
If you're going to that much trouble then instead of using resume (push up) why not just get the speed close and set a new speed (push down). Then trim it if needed.

I've not had this problem ... but mine is in dock today for software updates, so maybe I'm about to have it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I`ve found that the only way to get smooth "resume" is to have no regen selected, lift off the accelerator, so the car is free wheeling and then push up the resume button. If you are in roughly the right area of speed, the adjustment to the set value is smooth, but the car will, obviously slow down or accelerate to achieve set speed.
If you have any pressure on the accelerator this will overide the CC, even if you are below set speed (say going uphill on a light throttle) which means a sudden acceleration if you either press or release the accelerator!

·
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I`ve found that the only way to get smooth "resume" is to have no regen selected, lift off the accelerator, so the car is free wheeling and then push up the resume button. If you are in roughly the right area of speed, the adjustment to the set value is smooth, but the car will, obviously slow down or accelerate to achieve set speed.
If you have any pressure on the accelerator this will overide the CC, even if you are below set speed (say going uphill on a light throttle) which means a sudden acceleration if you either press or release the accelerator!
Yes the implementation of the cruise system is far from ideal, in my view. Hopefully the system in cars like the Ioniq 5 will be much improved. They just really need to copy what the German manufacturers do.

At the moment, the omission of true one pedal driving (I count the paddles as hand pedals), and the slightly shoddy cruise control system, are annoying me quite a lot. Hopefully they are just characteristics that I can get used to and/or develop techniques to work around.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Strange that some seem to have such problems. When I engage SCC and resume it I have never noticed any jerkiness I (pre covid) would use it most days.

Reactions: Ben Cole

·
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Strange that some seem to have such problems. When I engage SCC and resume it I have never noticed any jerkiness I (pre covid) would use it most days.
Has your car had the latest update applied that @esprit1st mentioned?

·
Registered
207 Posts
That's a little complicated for me. I just want to use it, done. If I have to switch Regen and then switch back I'd rather accept a small jerk. I'll survive that.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Smooth and jerky is probably very subjective feeling.
Like @MikeS I find SCC rather smooth (compare that to iPace!!). If you drive @40mph and set/resume SCC for 70mph then yes, the car will initially accelerate fast and then slowly decrease acceleration towards set speed. But if the difference in speed is only 5-10mph then there is no sudden rush of electrons to the motor.

However I did notice that when I'm overtaking and going very slightly over set speed (eg. SCC set to 70 and manually accelerating to say 73) then there is this pulsating feedback as if the car is not sure if it should go at 70 or 73.

·
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I think maybe some are not completely understanding what I’m talking about (probably my fault) - I’m talking solely about the feeling you get in the first second (or less) after setting or resuming the cruise control.

Eg- driving along at 40mph. Press ‘set’ to activate the system at 40mph. Then cancel the system to negotiate a roundabout. Then press ‘resume’ when travelling at approx 35mph. The very initial response that I get is a rather abrupt surge - as if the driver has just briefly stabbed at the accelerator for a split second to deliberately cause discomfort. It’s really quite annoying, and Mrs Bill has commented that it makes her feel sick when it happen repeatedly. It reminds me of being driven in an Uber by a rubbish driver. The i3, and before that a Skoda Superb, were super smooth in the same circumstances.

As @esprit1st has suggested, it may well also be the case that some cars are behaving differently to others depending on which updates they have had.

·
Registered
207 Posts
We're definitely talking about different things:
  • the jerky motion mentioned by @Bill N is definitely new since I had the brake software recall done.
  • since the same recall, the pulsation that @rompik mentioned is gone
  • other than the 1st issue mentioned, SCC is definitely very smooth and nice.

Kind of funny that they fixed the pulsating issue and introduced the jerky issue ...

·
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is the brake recall software version visible in the car? This is what I have (what the car came with two weeks ago).

·
Registered
956 Posts
Has your car had the latest update applied that @esprit1st mentioned?
No. Not if you mean the Emergency Braking System. No letter received. Have had all the others.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.