Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've tried to make the cruise jerky and I'm struggling. The only that is jerky is when you use the high regen (3) and lift off then it will try to slow the car down a lot. so hit the toggle down to set and then lift off.

Also, and I do appreciate that you're renting your car, by not using the brakes they'll rust up and degrade faster than they should. Which might not affect you for servicing but even if the car is fully insured etc. you'll still be inconvenienced if you can't stop in an emergency situation because the brakes are corroded.

I get best fuel efficiency in regen 0 with auto regen turned on and I just lift off. If there is nothing in front of you, you coast. If there is something in front of you, you get regen braking. And to slow down or stop you give the brakes a decent shove to keep them clean.

It works for me.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Bill your latest post is the same scenario as the one in my post different speeds and no count to 10, which I put in there to show that the SCC can be set even whilst the the pedal is being used.
Your previous cars did they have smart cc or just cruise control?
I am trying to remember back to my Kia with standard CC, only a year ago, whether it just accelerate up to the set speed whether the foot was on pedal or not I think it did. Once at speed the pedal would override the set speed to go faster and once let go would coast back down to set speed.
I have not had SCC before so can't say whether other cars behave similarly.

This is an experience I've had. SCC set to 70mph driving in lane 1 can't move to lane 2 due to traffic and my car catches up with the car in front and then matches its lower speed, can also be because the car adjusts to slower car speed so smoothly that you don't notice it is now doing 60-65 (been there ha ha), when the road is clear you indicate to move out, your car will automatically begin to accelerate to get back up to speed if the road is clear in front of you, or if you do the manoeuvre too soon the forward collision assist may give you a braking incident, if too close to car in front (had that too). you get into lane 2 and realise the cars behind are gaining on you quicker than you would like so you use the accelerator to give you a speed boost If you forget yourself, as I have done, you continue driving, the SCC just sits there flashing away being patient whilst you do your thing waiting for you to let go of the pedal. After a while of not giving back control it says sod you goes ding, message on screen saying I've turned off because you don't need me anymore otherwise it will go back to doing its thing.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 BMW i3 120Ah / '20 Hyundai Kona 64kWh
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I've tried to make the cruise jerky and I'm struggling. The only that is jerky is when you use the high regen (3) and lift off then it will try to slow the car down a lot. so hit the toggle down to set and then lift off.
Yes - this is why it’s a bit puzzling - because only a few of us seem to have the characteristic with our cars, or have noticed it.
Also, and I do appreciate that you're renting your car, by not using the brakes they'll rust up and degrade faster than they should. Which might not affect you for servicing but even if the car is fully insured etc. you'll still be inconvenienced if you can't stop in an emergency situation because the brakes are corroded.
Not really sure where brakes come into this discussion in particular, to be honest with you - this doesn’t really have anything at all to do with the friction brakes.
I get best fuel efficiency in regen 0 with auto regen turned on and I just lift off. If there is nothing in front of you, you coast. If there is something in front of you, you get regen braking. And to slow down or stop you give the brakes a decent shove to keep them clean.

It works for me.
Thanks for the advice on efficiency - that’s useful to know - but to be honest this also isn’t completely relevant to the undesirable cruise control characteristic, as - due to mix of roads I drive on - I would like - if possible - to be able to activate cruise control smoothly and, at the same time, be in a higher regen setting. I don’t particular feel like I want to (or should need to) lower the regen setting in order to have a smooth activation of cruise. As an aside, it does also bug me a little that the regen setting can’t be changed whilst cruise control is active - so that when you come out of cruise, regen is already at your chosen level. I’m not sure why they didn’t enable that as then at least if you had gone into cruise with regen at 3, you could lower regen to 1 or 0 just before coming out of cruise and that would make for a smoother exit from cruise without having to 'catch' the accelerator input to soften the regen.

·
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
your latest post is the same scenario as the one in my post different speeds and no count to 10, which I put in there to show that the SCC can be set even whilst the the pedal is being used.
Yes, thanks - I realise it’s the same - I was really just putting it into steps so it was really clear. But also, I got the impression you were just postulating that it might be like that and weren’t really sure if the SCC target speed can be adjusted with your foot on the pedal and before SCC actually takes over? That’s what I will try....when the snow and ice clears up!
Your previous cars did they have smart cc or just cruise control?
Both most recent ones had smart cc. It’d be great if I still had the i3 here so I could jump in and drive it back to back with the Kona to absolutely confirm a few things - but - all I known is I had a manner of activating cruise in the i3 which was perfectly fine, and if I do it in the same manner in the Kona I get the undesirable lurching /surfing sensation. I had to consciously make an effort to remove pedal pressure at the same time as the set button is pressed to eliminate the sensation ... and I will also try your suggestion of removing pedal pressure quickly, but not necessarily at the exact same time that the set button is pressed. Either way - it will still be different (and to my mind inferior) to my previous cars - which didn’t require either the right timing or the right quickness of foot movement.
whether it just accelerate up to the set speed whether the foot was on pedal or not I think it did.
This is what I’m pretty sure most other cruise controls systems do - smart or not.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,558 Posts
I get something similar to @Bill N
My previous car the GTE was very smooth, even in its B mode

I feel I should not have to change regen just before engaging or resuming the cruise control.
It’s such that I rarely use it if passengers are in the car as they look at me as if I have forgotten how to drive or my foot has slipped off the accelerator.
However I shall re read this set of threads and next time I am on my Tod, give some ideas a go.

Reactions: Bill N

·
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
It’s such that I rarely use it if passengers are in the car as they look at me as if I have forgotten how to drive or my foot has slipped off the accelerator.
Just from this it sounds like you are having the same experience as me. I liken it to being in a car with one of the many Uber drivers who seem to think the pedals are switches 😂

·
Registered
147 Posts
So I played around today too. I was going 30 mph and resumed the SCC which was set to 60.

Even if I lift my foot (which should result in showing down) the car accelerated VERY slowly. I then slowly lifted my foot resulting in even slower acceleration. At that point I was almost off the pedal.

After the last little bit taking my foot off I got the lurch and the car was accelerating much faster.

It almost felt like my pedal only was subtracted from the SCC input. Really strange. However, as discussed before, letting the pedal go the same moment I activate SCC results in a smooth acceleration.

So I'm fine with that, just need to get used to it. I am sure it didn't behave like that before the last software update (brake update).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes - this is why it’s a bit puzzling - because only a few of us seem to have the characteristic with our cars, or have noticed it.
Just rent something else from the car rental company you’re advertising. You’re obviously not happy with the Kona so rent something else instead. I think one great thing is you’re coming across as such a negative nelly that I wouldn’t touch that rental company with a barge pole.

·
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Even if I lift my foot (which should result in showing down) the car accelerated VERY slowly. I then slowly lifted my foot resulting in even slower acceleration. At that point I was almost off the pedal.

After the last little bit taking my foot off I got the lurch and the car was accelerating much faster.

It almost felt like my pedal only was subtracted from the SCC input. Really strange.
Yes - I’m pretty certain this is how mine reacts.

·
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Well, 5 pages on something that is so minor that most people have never even noticed it does stretch the patience a bit :)
I knew there was a good reason you were already on the ignore list. I should have left you on there. You don’t have to read any of this, and you aren’t compelled to reply. If it's so tedious to you, or you also are getting upset by negative comments about the car you drive, then you could just ignore it all. :rolleyes:

It clearly isn’t just me that has noticed this characteristic with their car. I'm genuinely pleased for you that you don't have it, or haven't noticed it.

Have a lovely week Mike.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
you also are getting upset by negative comments about the car you drive,
Long before you appeared here there was a thread about what we found irritating about the Kona. It ran for a while and there were plenty of them noted, some by me. Just not this one AFAIR.
It's a budget car from Korea with a £10k battery stuck underneath it, so I don't expect everything to be perfect. But making a federal case about this quirk just seems a bit excessive.

No, I don't have to read it all, but in the current situation I have time, and you obviously have time to provide the reading material, so why not. It all passes the time :)

I knew there was a good reason you were already on the ignore list. I should have left you on there.
Well, we all make mistakes at times :ROFLMAO:

·
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Nothing to add until the weather improves and I get a chance to try the technique that @GMat helpfully suggested (on page 4 of this 5 page thread) of just quickly releasing the pedal pressure.

Hopefully that works for me, and hopefully that will also be of use to the three other people in this thread who have said they have noticed a similar issue, as well as any others who may just be reading along.

(y):cool:

·
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #96

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Interesting. I didn't read all 7 pages but the last post on there was Sept 2019 with apparently no resolution. I imagine that Hyundai DE haven't escalated it to Korea and/or the number of complaints isn't enough for them to spend money fixing it. (Or maybe it's on the to do list but things like the BMS and ESP updates are hogging all the resources.)

·
Registered
89 Posts
It used to be mostly very civil on here - it’s definitely going down hill as EVs become more mainstream. :(
What part of 5 pages of people very gently trying to tell you the problem is how you’re driving the car is uncivil? And please don't try and tell anyone you’re not pushing ONTO as it’s in every one of your posts at least twice.

Please re-read your response to my post as an example of being downright unpleasant. You’ve certainly made my ignore list.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts