Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed that the brakes can be a little snachy at low speed. At higher speeds they are fine. In fact, they are fine at all speeds because it isn't really a problem or a criticism... just an observation really. However, it is enough for me to notice and that is unusual in any car I have driven.

I suspect it is connected closely with the regen system. It seems obvious that the brakes are "fly by wire". By that I mean that the brake pedal is not connected to the hydrolic system. It can't be because when you press the brake pedal the computer on the car has to decide if you can use regen braking and if you can then it uses that instead of activating the hydrolic system to apply the physical brakes. This means that all braking is computer controled regardless of speed. In fact, all braking and all acceleration are completely computer controlled on the Ampera.

Because it is all computer controlled it can be changed with a software update so I suspect that as with the Nissan Leaf, there may be a few software updates over the next year as they fine tune these kinds of issues.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I Agree, leaving my garage I find it difficult to glide out smoothly when lightly touching the brakes in reverse whilst trying to negotiate the wing mirrors by the door frame. This is when I miss a manual gear box.
Hope I will get better, 4 out of 10 at the moment.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
yup I notice the hybrid effect when using slow braking to a stop (low deceleration), when you get down to below 10mph the regen drag reduces and you have to stand a bit harder on the peddle to maintain the deceleration rate.

I did find the brakes a bit sharp at first but I think that might be to do with the feedback mechanism that the peddle has, I don't have any issues now. Might just be used to it.

It might be subconscious but I find it feels better to only lightly press the peddle when starting/selecting drive. (maybe this initialises up the feedback resistance system better?)

P.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I noticed things are better when I only lightly press the pedal when engaging D. I also noticed a delay between me lifting my foot off the brake pedal and the brakes coming off after I have braked hard. These things could easily be linked.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am still learning but I have been able to recognise the transition from regenerative braking to conventional braking. I do not know exactly how it works but there must be a mix of speed of applicaiton and braking pressure used to determine how much is regenerative and how much is on the disks (GM call it the friction blending) for a little more insight see http://opel-ampera.com/wp_en/2011/07/21/maximal-recuperation/

·
Registered
86 Posts
Had the same problem loading onto the eurotunnel, normally just slip the clutch to edge up to the car in front at the direction of the official, however trying to slip the brakes and jerking closer to the car in front made me look a bit of an amateur, hopefully will get better with practice ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have an early 2011 Volt, and have noticed the slight disengaging of regen and brake pedal feel.

It might be my imagination, but it seems like there is less of this when I drive in "L", where the regen is stronger. I use this mode almost exclusively now, because you do 95% of your slowing down without having to use the brake so much. (sort of a "one foot" driving)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts