1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a snake cable protector like this one:

How easy is it to use?
Are there any UK suppliers?

It looks like it has a low enough profile so that it won't be a nuisance for wheels (buggies, mobility scooters etc).

It should be able to accommodate cables up to 2cm in diameter so should be okay for most 32amp charging cables.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The walk over cable looks good but how well does it cope with the thicker Type 2 cables that are 13-15mm? The walk over protectors only have a 10mm clearance.

On a pavement like mine, I think that difference would cause the protector to be raised at one side.

Having said that, it's quite cheap so might be worth having around when having to charge on the 3-pin granny.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,339 Posts
These discussions always make me wonder if they make electrical cables that are flat rather than a round profile. The same amount of copper there to carry the current but spread over a centimetre each, so that a 5 strand 32 amp cable would be 60 x 5 mm profile and lay flat so that it is easily covered by a very low profile protector with negligible ramps either side.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
These discussions always make me wonder if they make electrical cables that are flat rather than a round profile. The same amount of copper there to carry the current but spread over a centimetre each, so that a 5 strand 32 amp cable would be 60 x 5 mm profile and lay flat so that it is easily covered by a very low profile protector with negligible ramps either side.

Yes, this sort of cable is available, although I haven't yet seen a flat charge cable for the final run from the charge point to the car. The cable that runs to our submersible borehole pump is flat three core flex, and if someone made a version of that with an extra pilot core it would be fine for a charging cable, as it's the same mechanical spec (in terms of exposure, toughness etc) as something like H07RN-F cable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had a look at all the cable protectors I can find and by the time you get a cable protector with a cavity suitable for a 13-15mm charging cable they get really high and difficult for wheels.

The snake cable protector seems to keep a low profile but there are no UK suppliers by the look of it.

A wide flat cable would be awesome - you could use a really low profile protector but I imagine such a cable would really expensive!

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I've been using rubber cable protectors for a few decades now and they really aren't a problem for bikes, wheelchairs, pushchairs etc. The wider ones are better, and if on a flat surface the semi-rigid ones with the lift up lid are the best for small diameter wheels to get over, but none of them are really a problem. Outdoor film locations are always littered with the things, and they are also places where loads of small wheeled carts, lighting rigs, sack carts, etc are running over them all the time.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Been digging around and there is a suitable flat flex available that would seem to do the job, although it has four 6mm² cores, rather than three plus a thinner pilot core. The spec is H07VVH6-F: Elevator PVC Flat Cable H05VVH6-F/H07VVH6-F - Elevator Cable

The external dimensions of the 6mm² four core flat cable are 7.2mm high by 22.4mm wide, which looks to be ideal for running in a low profile cable protector, like this one: D-Line Medium Duty Linkable Cable Cover 30 x 10 x 1800mm Black The total height above the ground is only 14mm.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,339 Posts
Yes, this sort of cable is available, although I haven't yet seen a flat charge cable for the final run from the charge point to the car. The cable that runs to our submersible borehole pump is flat three core flex, and if someone made a version of that with an extra pilot core it would be fine for a charging cable, as it's the same mechanical spec (in terms of exposure, toughness etc) as something like H07RN-F cable.
Is such a borehole cable much more expensive than standard round charging cable? No price quoted for this cable which gives 4 cores.

3 Core Submersible Pump Cable, Rs 90 /meter Om Industries | ID: 15339918988 (indiamart.com)

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
That cable may be submersible but it is not armoured. Not suited to things that WILL have physical loads applied to them.

Charging cables aren't armoured either, they are straightforward outdoor rated flex. Most don't even have any strain relief cores, but they seem to last OK in the main (except for one or two of the poorer quality ones from China).

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,339 Posts
That cable may be submersible but it is not armoured. Not suited to things that WILL have physical loads applied to them.
Is your cable armoured? The idea is to provide a low profile cable that can be covered by a low profile protector over a pavement, with very low ramps to assist wheelchairs etc.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I've never, ever, seen an armoured flex charging cable. Not even sure such a thing exists. Absolutely no need for armour anyway, as the cable has good RCD protection at that point, and so armour is not required. It's debatable as to whether armoured cable is really needed for the installation side for many charge point installations, as again the cable should be well protected at source. Worth remembering that the cables that are used by the DNO for supplies into homes aren't armoured, either, although they do play by a different rule book.

The H07VVH6-F cable I linked to earlier looks to be fine for this application.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,339 Posts
Flat cable will have a smaller radius of turn, at least in one direction, and could be easier to coil up after use. Although it may twist more easily and become a bit awkward in use. If there was a suitable 4 pin flat waterproof connector then the protector could be fitted with an integral cable at a very low profile with one connector at each end. Male at the power end and female at the car end. Then normal charging cable can be plugged in at each end of the short protector to complete the circuit. In effect, the protector itself becoming part of the cable length but only 10mm high along the part crossing the pavement.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem coiling up H07VVH6-F, looking at the spec, as it's been designed for use with lifts, where it will get flexed every time the lift moves, as it gets coiled up and uncoiled all the time in that application, I think. I've pinged a supplier to ask if they can get hold of a reel of 4 core, and give me a price for it. Probably quite expensive, but then so is charging flex anyway.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,339 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem coiling up H07VVH6-F, looking at the spec, as it's been designed for use with lifts, where it will get flexed every time the lift moves, as it gets coiled up and uncoiled all the time in that application, I think. I've pinged a supplier to ask if they can get hold of a reel of 4 core, and give me a price for it. Probably quite expensive, but then so is charging flex anyway.
Probably capable of being coiled up into a much smaller rolling radius. I could imagine it being half that of a conventional cable. That might enable a coiled cable to fit into a much smaller bag and become less of a boot filler.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I seem to remember that BMW had a type 2 cable that was not round and would roll up smaller? May be wrong. I still do not believe that covers are a good long term solution. Things like channels in the pavements look like the best solution if you cannot have off road parking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts