Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering what this is like to drive in the snow or on ice. Usually I shove the car into 2nd gear and let the traction of my Diesel engine move the car without applying revs or brakes. (Spent time out in Norway with the Royal Marines so had a bit of training in snow driving)

Having never driven an automatic before and certainly not one of these, what settings would I need or do I just leave it on the drive and work from home/leave the kids at school?

Was asked this question by my boss who lives "oop" north as he is considering one of these or the Passat equivalent when he replaces his Passat est. so it's not just me wondering.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,389 Posts
I was wondering this too ... a few years back some automatic cars had a Winter button that forced them not to use 1st, and therefore engage 2nd gear when at standstill instead of first --- to prevent wheelspin.
I was wondering and suspect not, that the DSG will allow you to paddle shift into 2nd when at standstill or very very slow speeds ... e.g. approaching traffic lights on uphill road and they go green just before you come to a halt -- I'd then want to be in 2nd gear on such a snow road.
However I had also read that BEVs are better in snow because of the different way torque comes into play - maybe someone can comment to that, as I think 0-5/10mph or so the GTE would try to use the battery and not the ICE ?

·
Registered
Volkswagen e-Golf 2018
1,999 Posts
When I first had a demonstrator I tried to reverse it out of a gravel drive and it spun the wheels. This does not bode well for using it in the snow.

We have a few members from Scandanavia here, so they should have some experience by now.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I used the Eco button in the leaf in my work car park with about 3 inch of fresh snow, it pulled away without an issue. The torque is so linear it was very easy. I stopped a few times just to have a play and even without Eco turned on it was no problem to get going.

I'm pretty sure the e-golf has a similar setting that could stand in for second gear.

It would have been a lot more fun in a tesla!

·
Registered
13 Posts
No need to worry. It is actually the best car I have ever driven in snow.

The trick is to be very light on the accelerator. Unlike an ICE, the electric motor has full power from 0 revs. So no need to rev up to get power enough to get through the snow. Just push the pedal ever so lightly an the wheels will turn really slow with full power.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
In the i3 I switch to Eco (dulls throttle response) and enable Traction control rather than stability control so it change behaviour to conserve forward momentum - presumably you can do something similar. Its essentially what snow mode buttons do, as always if its really bad and you don't have winter shoes your still gonna your hands full :p

·
Registered
542 Posts
A lot of automatic gearboxes have some very clever electronics that detect the type of driving and adapt automatically.

My 320 had a snow mode and a towing mode that it would automatically select

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have to disagree sadly, I have found it terrible in small coverings of snow we've had over last few weeks.

But I'd say it more down to the summer tyres than anything.

The slightest incline, even a dropped curb, and struggling for grip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We had 30 cm of snow over one night last week. Roads and parking areas were mostly unplowed, public transportation was cancelled and small coaches with studded tires could not get up a small incline just outside my house.

My GTE?

Like a tank. No problem whatsoever.

Maybe my Nokian Hakkapelitta 8 had something to do with it, but most people around here have at least decent winter tires.

·
Registered
Volkswagen e-Golf 2018
1,999 Posts
With the weight of the battery at the back the overall weight distribution must be fairly even over the front and back wheels. Maybe that helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts