Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Volkswagen e-Golf 2018
1,999 Posts
What are they like in snow... anyone got experience ?
Also how do you turn traction control off ?
Bad news: front wheel drive and fat tyres
Good news: lots of weight.

I don’t know why you would want to turn the traction control off, but it’s in the menu under Driver Assist I think.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are they like in snow... anyone got experience ?
Also how do you turn traction control off ?
“If you’ve got ESP, the stability control element will help you in a slide. But traction control can sometimes kill power too much and make it hard to get moving in heavy snow. Most cars will allow you to turn off the traction element of the stability control. If you have an auto box, check whether you have a winter mode.”

·
Registered
442 Posts
I found mine absolute garbage in the snow. Especially trying to get up the hill I live. With only a light dusting as well.

I have Michelins now so will see if any better today.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mines not going to move until the snow goes away, 18" wheels and all that instant torque is recepie for trouble. My wife's Fiat 500C is all brushed off ready to go out on its 14" snow tyres.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 SR+
1,567 Posts
Took my over-powered, fat summer tyred, RWD death trap out this morning. It was touch and go to the end of our close, then the roads were clear.
#notlikewinterwheniwasakid

·
Registered
128 Posts
Managed to get mine out, had to use ‘Battery Charge’ to force the petrol motor to kick in as battery hold just wasn’t doing the job. Had a few wheel spins with electric then converting to engine power, but wasn’t getting anywhere!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
Awful, had to traverse Birmingham this morning in deep snow, just wouldn't move an inch. Luckily I had snow socks for the wheels in the boot and managed to get out and onto the motorways!!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Definitely didn't take mine out today, was wondering if the 17in wheels and FWD (but insane torque) would out weigh the nightmare that was my RWD BMW in the snow, but didn't fancy trying.

Guessing B mode is pretty handy though? Essentially engine breaking the whole time rather than locking up wheels?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Definitely didn't take mine out today, was wondering if the 17in wheels and FWD (but insane torque) would out weigh the nightmare that was my RWD BMW in the snow, but didn't fancy trying.

Guessing B mode is pretty handy though? Essentially engine breaking the whole time rather than locking up wheels?
I’d say b mode would be dangerous in slippery conditions, That said, probably still easier to handle than a BMW i3 in the snow!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just a thought would using the paddles to start off in a higher gear help to move off on the snow. I don't even know if that's possible as I have yet to actually use them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Eco mode shifts up the gears quicker than in other modes so that might help? Turning off the traction control may also help to get you moving but probably worth putting it back on once rolling.

I drove through a load of snow and slush earlier today and it was fine with gentle acceleration without messing with any settings.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
The Golf is much better than the RWD BMW in the snow, I have owned two and they where dangerous in the snow !.
If you have a RWD BMW, then you will be requiring a second car that has FWD in the winter.
We had a Polo as a second car when we owned the BMW, it was the only way to get out in the winter !.
The grip on the Bridgestone's is NOT the best when snow is down on the ground I have to say !!!.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Why do people with 4WD think they can drive fast in the snow, they will be in for a bit of a shock when it comes time to stop.:confused:
You don't need a 4WD to drive fast in snow, any car will do.

Although stopping can be a problem. In fresh snow disable the ABS and lock the wheels up to create a snow bank in front of your wheels and get stuck behind when time to set off:(

·
Registered
242 Posts
Eco mode shifts up the gears quicker than in other modes so that might help? Turning off the traction control may also help to get you moving but probably worth putting it back on once rolling.

I drove through a load of snow and slush earlier today and it was fine with gentle acceleration without messing with any settings.
How do you activate ECO mode. Haven't found this on my car and it isn't in the manual for my car??

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
No issues at all for me in heavy and compacted snow on the roads yesterday and this morning, but then I do have a set of Michelin cross climates on!

The feeling of traction, stability and in particular braking with a set of tyres designed for the job is great.

My wife’s car with standard Michelin Energy tyres on couldn’t even get off the driveway in comparison.

#smug :)

·
Registered
997 Posts
How do you activate ECO mode. Haven't found this on my car and it isn't in the manual for my car??
Didn't think the GTE had Eco mode?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts