Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona EV 64kw Premium SE
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello SpeakEV.

Soon to be new owner of a Kona 64kwh in Galactic Grey Premium SE and giddily excited to pick it up on the 10th. The test drive sealed the deal. It was so responsive and quick.

Was wondering if you had any tips on the best apps (iOS), tips, and warnings for a new EV driver?

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Bluelink of course as the official app for the Kona.
A Better Routeplanner (ABRP) for route planning
Zap-map for searching for charging points.

Plus vendor specific apps for all the chargers you might one day want to use.

Reactions: Veeoh

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plus vendor specific apps for all the chargers you might one day want to use.
Yeah, I'm getting a good folder full. Thanks for the info about ABRP - interesting!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Car Scanner app for iOS (and Android) to read all parameters of battery, charging and drivetrain - over 150 parameters. You need an ELM327 Bluetooth 4.0LE adapter for iOS, e.g. Icar Vgate PRO.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car Scanner app for iOS (and Android) to read all parameters of battery, charging and drivetrain - over 150 parameters. You need an ELM327 Bluetooth 4.0LE adapter for iOS, e.g. Icar Vgate PRO.
Thank you!

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
tips, and warnings for a new EV driver?
When you get it (or even before if you download a PDF copy*) ... RTFM ... end to end. It will take several hours but with any modern car you will find an incredible array of stuff you might otherwise never know about. Or functions that annoy you but didn't know you could turn off.
You won't remember everything but when something pops up you'll think "On, I read something about that" and you can then dig.

( * The one I have is possibly not the UK one, but it's close enough and is searchable. Once I know where the relevant section is I can always check in the printed one.)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you get it (or even before if you download a PDF copy*) ... RTFM ... end to end
Hey. Thanks for this. I’ve got a copy of the manual and am ploughing through it. It’s a whole new world lol :)

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
It’s a whole new world lol
I like the section where they tell you about the different types of (eg) SCC you might have - radar, camera, etc ... but no way of knowing which one you have :unsure:
It probably doesn't matter, but it's very annoying :mad:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I like the section where they tell you about the different types of (eg) SCC you might have - radar, camera, etc ... but no way of knowing which one you have :unsure:
It probably doesn't matter, but it's very annoying :mad:
That's been an eternal problem with car manuals - why can't they add one page that indicates which things are applicable to your specific car, or have the ability to enter your VIN on a website and list all the options and variants.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Very easy, install the Car Scanner Elm Obd2 app and select "Kona EV" in connection setup - over 150 detailed parameters of Kona EV will be shown in "All sensors" menu and configurable dashboard. Car Scanner works with any good quality ELM Bluetooth adapter (iOS only with Bluetooth 4.0 LE).
81847.png 81946.png

Thread about apps for Kona/Niro EV:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Watch out for "ghost braking" when using the Smart Cruise Control". Can be a bit annoying until you get used to it. Other than that, an awesome car.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I think you should be aware of the quirks related to the Lane Keep Assist (LKA) system.
This always defaults to active (for 2018/ 2019 cars) at start up.
Its a clever system using the front pointing camera to identify the lane marking lines and will keep the car within them.

The handbook states :

'The Standard LKA mode guides the driver to help keep the vehicle within the lanes.
It rarely controls the steering wheel, when the vehicle drives well inside the lanes.
However, it starts to control the steering wheel, when the vehicle is about to deviate
out of the lane.'

Which seems innocuous enough, but beware when driving onto lanes / roads which have a poorly marked edge line / centre line - a number of people have been quite disturbed by the steering wheel suddenly twitching / self steering in such situations.
Because it can catch you unawares, many people prefer to always disable the function when starting off, by pressing the appropriate button to the right of the steering wheel.
The user manual chapter 5 explains the LKA functionality in detail.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I always turn LKA off for every journey, be aware the traction control button is right beside the LKA button. Auto hold is awesome,, as is the rest of the car.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, between the two of them, wow!
So I assume this allows for a degree of 'hands off' driving (not really hands off, but can't think of a different way of saying it...!)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts