Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Leaf 40
866 Posts
Abstracting electricity, a statutory offence. The likelihood of prosecution would be low but still an offence. As I was taught along time ago, Ignorance is no defence ;)

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only reason I ask is because I've noticed a few power outlets lately that I've not seen used for any reason, all in various car parks, so I wondered if with a little effort they could use these as (signed) slow public charge points.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
As it seems that it's fair game to take whatever you want, as long as it's not bolted down, these days, then I would say 'just do it' if you get accosted, throw them a 50p for every hour you were charging :D

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Did you find them in a car park as your BEV ground to a halt and your crying freezing children are in the back?

Sure, use it.

You're worried the engine in your Ampera might come on just before you get home if you don't steal some of tescos electricity...? Probably not.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
There was a guy got himself arrested in the USA some months ago for doing just what was suggested, plugging in without permission.
I think the point Paul is making is that with a little bit of effort in contacting the owner of the sockets would it be possible to get signage put up and make use of the points 'Officially'. Seems like a good idea to me. It accords with my thoughts on simplicity being required in public charge point provision.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was kind of doing two things, one seeing what people thought about plugging in, but really I do think there's potential here to get these types of plugs "official" in a really simple way.... Maybe.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
In Tesco's they are used to charge the Electric car park sweepers and the trolly pusher and they are used to power other outside equipment.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
I do think there's potential here to get these types of plugs "official" in a really simple way.... Maybe.
I suspect an attempt to make them "official" would send the locations into a tail spin re public liability, etc... probably better to just use them if that's what you want to do :)

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I was collared by a jobsworth in the Festival Hall once because I had plugged my laptop into a 13A socket in the cafe.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Went to Brent Cross Shopping Centre about 3 weeks ago and got permission to use the 3 pin 13amp sockets above each bay for a top up while there. They were happy for me to use them whenever I go down .. until they can get new dedicated points fitted! Apparently they had Source London points but they were taken down for some reason.

PS: Brent cross shopping centre is at junction 2 of the M1. Other EV friendly 'malls' with covered bays, include Westfield W12. My definition of EV friendly means more than 2 working sockets or chargepoints suitable for EV's.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Just 13 amp types, with no signage. Would it be wrong to plug your EV in?
Almost certainly theft (or equivalent) if you don't have the owners permission but very unlikely to get prosecuted.

What is more likely though is that you might upset the owner and turn them against EVs and EV owners. Far better to ask and abide by what they say.

Regardless of the legal situation we shouldn't be doing anything to turn people against EVs. If they say no then why not talk to them, find out why, explain that is minimal cost and see if you can get to use them officially and with their permission?

If they still say no then you know where you stand.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts