Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have experienced so many different bits of advice and data I would really appreciate other users views.

Before I bought mine I saw a range of views on the web from £1.77 to £2.50. Then the british gas man came to fit my pod (and left again because there was no O2 signal) and he said it cost £2.88 to charge.

Well I have a brand new house with one of those smart meters and a fancy computermebob that tells me exactly what every electric item in my home costs and gives me a daily read out of my use. When I'm charging my car it reads 28-31pph.

On the days I charge my car the most i have ever used is £3.10 ( for the whole house). On days I don't charge my car it never drops below £1.90 and is commonly around £2.10. On average it seems to cost me about £1-£1.20 to charge my car. BUT the fancy Computermebob does say that this is for "guidance only".

I am now planning my life around free electricy and I go shopping where I can park and charge. I have found a car park 5 mins walk from work where it costs £1 to park all day but I can charge for free. 500 yards from my home is a Peugeot dealership where I can charge for free, Not sure I want to leave my car there over night and have a 500 yard walk on a morning but its certainly possible on a weekend.

My car has cost me nothing at all so far this week to run.

Dissapointed to note that our National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham doesn't have any electric charge points and no plans to install any.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
To answer that we would need to know how much are you paying for your electricity?

Are you on Economy 7 and if so what is your day and night rates?

In my case:

I am on E7... day rate 17p/kwh, night rate (12-7) 7p/kwh

Needless to say I try to charge at night as much as possible although even at the day rate it is SOO much cheaper than allowing the car to use petrol that I never delay charging in the day if I feel I might need it.

The battery has about 10.5kwh usable and at a estimated 90% efficiency (?) I guess it should take about 12kwh to charge.

12kwh at 7p/kwh at my night rate of 7p/kwh is about 84p

12kwh at my day rate of 17p/kwh is about £2.04

So for me, charging the Ampera is under £1 in the night and about £2 in the day... for about 40 miles (on average)...

These figures are estimates but they won't be far wrong.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a plug in device which you can input your tariff, it then measures the amount of electricity you use and the cost etc. For a full charge on my Volt it costs me £1.80 (inc vat) during the day. I am with Scottish Hydro on a Standard meter at the moment, they do a Powerfuel tariff which uses an E7 meter with the day rate the same as a Standard meter tariff and the night rate is cheaper for charging. With my home charger I had fitted by BG recently the full charging time is 4hrs so fits in well with the low rate tariff. At £1.80 for 40 miles driving range the day rate is still cheap motoring.

Mick

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,442 Posts
Hi Mick

I looked at the Powerfuel tariff too but with the standing charge rate it made me start to look around. I am going to find out my average use over a few months and then go around various suppliers looking for the best deal. British Gas cheap rate is looking good as their peak rate is from 4pm to 8pm. Scottish Power were going to charge for the Economy 7 meter but I can't recall their charges.

Ian

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
While we are talking about electricity suppliers...

I do recommend Ecotricity. I know that they may be a little more expensive than you can get on a special tariff with other suppliers but they are cheaper than all the big 6 on the standard tariffs and they have publically pledged to keep it so.

All the electricity they supply is from renewable sources.

They are supporting electric cars by installing their Electric Highway of EV charging stations on motorways.

They are great people to do business with and are very happy to engage with their customers publically.

I did the sums when I transferred to them and at that time they were marginally more expensive for me than I was palready paying but I wanted to support them.

I realise that the price is going to be more important to some than green or EV charging and so it is a personal choice according to your own personal circumstances and preferences but if you are looking to go with a company trying hard to support EVs and one that has arguably the best green credentials on the market then take a good look at Ecotricity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts