Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
9,330 Posts
To answer that we would need to know how much are you paying for your electricity?

Are you on Economy 7 and if so what is your day and night rates?

In my case:

I am on E7... day rate 17p/kwh, night rate (12-7) 7p/kwh

Needless to say I try to charge at night as much as possible although even at the day rate it is SOO much cheaper than allowing the car to use petrol that I never delay charging in the day if I feel I might need it.

The battery has about 10.5kwh usable and at a estimated 90% efficiency (?) I guess it should take about 12kwh to charge.

12kwh at 7p/kwh at my night rate of 7p/kwh is about 84p

12kwh at my day rate of 17p/kwh is about £2.04

So for me, charging the Ampera is under £1 in the night and about £2 in the day... for about 40 miles (on average)...

These figures are estimates but they won't be far wrong.

· Registered
9,330 Posts
While we are talking about electricity suppliers...

I do recommend Ecotricity. I know that they may be a little more expensive than you can get on a special tariff with other suppliers but they are cheaper than all the big 6 on the standard tariffs and they have publically pledged to keep it so.

All the electricity they supply is from renewable sources.

They are supporting electric cars by installing their Electric Highway of EV charging stations on motorways.

They are great people to do business with and are very happy to engage with their customers publically.

I did the sums when I transferred to them and at that time they were marginally more expensive for me than I was palready paying but I wanted to support them.

I realise that the price is going to be more important to some than green or EV charging and so it is a personal choice according to your own personal circumstances and preferences but if you are looking to go with a company trying hard to support EVs and one that has arguably the best green credentials on the market then take a good look at Ecotricity.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.