Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have so many questions having never had an electric car and I have answered the basic ones myself by googling, but I have some specific questions about the Golf GTE with digital dashboard I am thinking of buying once out of lockdown. I really hope the GTE owners here can help me with them? I will list them out below but any answers would really be appreciated.

I have heard that the car can be pre-heated while plugged in. Is this true and if it is does that work on a timer in the car or does the key need to be in the car at the same time?
With number 1 in mind as well I was thinking of charging overnight from a 3 pin socket but as it only takes 4 hrs or so to charge I would really like to have a timer plug on the socket so that it is only live for say 5 hours to be sure its charged and may be pre-heated. Do you think that is a possible thing to do? Does anyone do anything like that now?
I see that the discover sat nav connects to the internet via a mobile phone hotspot. The aftermarket head unit in my VW Eos also does this and I use it all the time by turning on my hotspot on my mobile the head unit automatically just connects to that hotspot by itself. Does anyone know if that is the same for the discover sat nav please?
Does anyone know the difference between discover and discover pro apart from the size of the screen as well by any chance?
Only a small one this one but on a GTE Advance say 2017 or 2018 is the rear camera an extra?

Any help would be good thank you

Paul

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,118 Posts
Others will chime in I’m sure, but on these two;

I have heard that the car can be pre-heated while plugged in. Is this true and if it is does that work on a timer in the car or does the key need to be in the car at the same time?
Yes, the car can pre-heat, one of the benefits of it really. The car doesn’t need to be plugged in either, although it makes sense to do it whilst it is before leaving home. The key doesn’t need to be in the vehicle, it stays locked. Pre-heat can be set up on the cars timers, or it can be started remotely from the We Connect App, such as when you’re about to leave work or approaching the station on a train for example.

I was thinking of charging overnight from a 3 pin socket but as it only takes 4 hrs or so to charge I would really like to have a timer plug on the socket so that it is only live for say 5 hours to be sure its charged and may be pre-heated. Do you think that is a possible thing to do?
You don’t need any timer sockets, the car and the 3 pin brick take care of everything for you. When the car is fully charged, it stops drawing power from the socket. You can delay the start of that charge or make it happen within an off peak window. It’s very flexible.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
286 Posts
Does anyone know the difference between discover and discover pro apart from the size of the screen as well by any chance?
Discovery pro as far as I am aware can play video files from attached media and the basic Discover cannot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI . Looking at my post I see the numbered bullet points didn’t carry over so sorry for that.
I am looking at the 7.5 version yes
The pre-heat thing sounds really good and I didn’t know about timers in the car so I think that solves that one (for now!)
Also I didn’t know about the charge timer within the car so as you say no need for a 3 pin plug timer then.
Thanks for letting me know about the video playing on the discover pro. I have that at the moment on mine but never use it really.
Are there any other differences with the discover pro and does anyone know about the automatically connecting to a wifi hot spot from the phone? Or the rear camera?
Thanks so far this is great

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,189 Posts
Rear cam was an optional extra on the 2018 GTE Advance.

You can link it to a hotspot, but there's no reason to imo. They have carplay / android auto, both of which provide options for better maps than the built in sat nav, imo..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does Car play or Android auto display where the speedo is? I know that maps are better on those but am interested as with an internet connection it says that it will be aware on accidents and hold ups or so I have read.

Do you know if the discover sat nav will connect to a hotspot by itself if previously setup? Thanks for letting me know about the rear camera being an option as well

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
286 Posts
One thing for sure, on your driver cluster you can see the Nav FROM the car but NOT from Android Auto or Car Play. The two screens are not running the same base. This is the reason why you have the buttons on the steering wheel to control the driver display/screen. You cannot make changes to the Discovery system from the steering wheel.
I used to own 2016 A4 with virtual cockpit and the two screens are control separated. Audi and VW both using the same system just different interface so the Audi looks more "upmarket"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok thanks for that. Learning quite a bit here and it's all interesting.

Good picture of the Frecce Tricolori by the way

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,189 Posts
No they only display on the radio head unit. Google maps or waze will be better than the built in nav, again, imo.

Also voice control works with android auto/carplay, whereas it's an optional extra for the VW stuff..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Also voice control works with android auto/carplay, whereas it's an optional extra for the VW stuff.. "

Interesting . so it is not as good as it looks then? If I really want to do a 100 mile trip I will realistically be using Android Auto from the screen in the middle and not the one inbetween the speedo and rev counter. Sounds a little pointless then?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am looking at the 7.5 version yes
The pre-heat thing sounds really good and I didn’t know about timers in the car so I think that solves that one (for now!)
Also I didn’t know about the charge timer within the car so as you say no need for a 3 pin plug timer then.
I purchased my Mk7.5 GTE 4 weeks ago so the pre-heat function has been welcomed in recent days.
Yes, set the timer within the car or on the app & once you set your departure time everything is charged up & toasty warm at your departure time.
You do need to be aware of the minimum charge setting (there was a message about that here within the last few days, so easy to find) which means depending on how that is set, once set & the timer is activated, it will charge to the set value set AS SOON as you connect the charger then resume to give you a full charge upon departure.
It all becomes 2nd nature once you've owned the car for a few days.
Enjoy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts