Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We will soon be in the market to replace our second car with an EV and we are waying up the options. ID3 is near the top of the list and will be test driving next week.

I am baffled by the amount of different versions and options available. Is there anywhere that simply lays them out? Is there a "Pro" and "Performance" version of each? Could you for example have a Family, A Family Pro and a Family Pro Performance? What about the different batteries? Seems to me there are hundreds of combinations!

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
417 Posts
Get the brochure PDF from here: ID.3

Page 8 talks about the battery and motor options
Page 7 has a summary of the various specs, and which ones come with options for battery and motor
Pages 9-11 give detail on each spec

At least there are only 5 specs now, there were 8!

·
Registered
59 Posts
3 batteries:

45kw - range = 217 - poverty spec models
58kw - range = 263 - range of models with either 145 or 204 ps (bhp)
77kw - range = 336 - top of the range but same power as 58kw (204ps)

Firstly identify your range needs, then your performance, finally your spec

·
Registered
45 Posts
3 batteries:

45kw - range = 217 - for day to day drivers who use the car to get to work & small trips at weekends
58kw - range = 263 - range of models with either rubbish acceleration or faster than required for the averge joe
77kw - range = 336 - some may say top of the range but actually too much battery for the average person and not enough battery for someone who goes on long trips

Firstly identify your range needs, then your performance, finally your spec

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Tour
181 Posts
One thing I would say is in my view that there isn't such thing as a "Performance" ID3 relative to other ...performance...! cars, but the 204ps 58kW is lighter and a bit more responsive than the 204ps 77kW, if that's what you're after. The 77kW pulls like a train in a straight line but isn't quite as nimble. And for all models - yes they're quick off the mark, but they don't have the feel of a GTI golf - more just a large engined golf.

Also note that today, in the UK, the 77kW is only a 4 seater but it looks like that's changing. The "Tour" 77kW model is a very, very good top spec apart from a few things (the glass roof, 4 seats), but in Europe they seem to be introducing versions of the 77kW with less spec, more seats.

77kw - range = 336 - some may say top of the range but actually too much battery for the average person and not enough battery for someone who goes on long trips
As a 77kw owner I would argue the range is the right balance. It means in any weather, on any road, you'll hit 200 miles on one charge - which is in the UK a very good sweet spot if you live centrally-ish. Unless you live in Kent and travel to Newcastle of course! The big advantage is nearly any UK trip is doable in one shot from 100%.

And as for long drives...it gets you from Manchester to Dover/Folkestone... and Calais to Germany on one charge stop before the Ferry/Chunnel in decent summer weather - and it charges at 125kW too. Not a Tesla but not bad...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts