Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :) I'm looking to buy an EV to replace a 10yr old VW golf estate (265k miles) that is going to die in the next 6 months. My previous car was, unsurprisingly, a Golf estate that I sold when it had 300k miles on the clock. Given I clock up 25K + miles a year for work I was thinking I should buy an EV through my Ltd company. No brainer really. But, and here's the but - lockdown! I have filled up my VW 5 times since July as I now am more or less 99.9% based at home and appear to have no life :) so now seem to have no need to upgrade, and I wouldn't be travelling enough to balance out the initial EV cost. But, if life returned to anywhere near normal next year I'd be back to doing 25k miles again. I cannot predict this part at all.

My commute is a 70 mile round trip, BUT, when at work I may need to drive another 30-50 miles unfortunately it would be unplanned. I can charge the car for free at partners work and home, as we have solar panels. Buying through the business would be fine as no real BiK to speak of. My dilemma, bearing in mind I'm a Scot born in Yokrshire and have spent £9k (total) on the two VW's in the past 15 years, is that I am struggling to justify spending the big bucks on a full EV. I seem to have come up with a few different paths and wonder if you guys with your EV experience may be able to help guide me.

Bite the bullet and buy an e-Niro as cheap as possible (my local dealer has 'sourced' one for £32k brand new but I'd be equally happy with a year old one but they are as rare as hen's teeth it would seem).

Buy a cheap Leaf (£5/6k) as a run around to see if I even like the electric and whether it may be viable.

Buy a lovely top of the range nearly new VW for half the price of an e-Niro.

I have driven the new Zoe but didn't really like how small it was. I think I'd be happy with the VW ID3 but do like the size of the Niro.

Any ideas chaps?

D

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Don’t forget the 100% write off if you buy through your limited company. I bought my Kona that way but only works of course if you buy new.

We do 25k miles a year in it and it has cost very little and not missed a beat. 225 miles range in mid-winter spending most of its life on motorways.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208 / '22 ID.3 Family
3,756 Posts
Tbh, I’d probably either buy a cheap ICE car (that might otherwise just get scrapped) to tide you over for a bit until we know if/when normality returns and what your mileage will be going forward (and then get an EV - more are likely to be available by then) OR look at getting a short term subscription EV to see what you make of it all (Onto, Elmo, etc)

·
3,756 Posts
probably the worst option for your wallet (and the environment) if you do limited mileage.
not necessarily - if it cost £1000 to buy, keep it for a few months, do a few hundred miles, sell it for £1000...

how many miles have you driven since July OP?

ETA - filled up 5 times so maybe something like 2.5K miles in 5 and a bit months?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,441 Posts
For your current mileage there's no point in changing, and if you can keep your current car going for longer it represents terrific value. When, if, your mileage increases change to an EV for both economic and environmental reasons.
A LEAF30 will not meet your needs, so a longer range car makes sense. If you want an SUV type car the e-Niro/Kona makes sense, otherwise the ID3 is good. But who knows what will be best when you are ready to buy.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
not necessarily - if it cost £1000 to buy, keep it for a few months, do a few hundred miles, sell it for £1000...

how many miles have you driven since July OP?

ETA - filled up 5 times so maybe something like 2.5K miles in 5 and a bit months?
Yes but even the cleanest diesels don’t operate efficiently over short distances and when used rarely. Older diesels are much, much worse. If you have to get an ICE, a petrol is the better bet surely.

·
3,756 Posts
If you are therefore averaging about 100 miles a week at the moment, buying a new, old cheap ICE (I’d definitely make it petrol though) as a stop gap seems the sensible thing to do to me.

Then when you know what your mileage is going to be (hopefully by next summer/autumn) enter the EV market at that time. Wouldn’t make much sense, I think, to get an EV now, from what’s currently available, only to have it sat doing nothing even more than most cars normally do.

·
3,756 Posts
Yes but even the cleanest diesels don’t operate efficiently over short distances and when used rarely. Older diesels are much, much worse. If you have to get an ICE, a petrol is the better bet surely.
Tbf, we don’t know if he’s necessarily doing short journeys. He might haven been doing 100 mile trips once a week, or 200 miles trips twice a month. But yeah, I’d probably look at moving to petrol anyway as resale should be more reliable - might even go up in value if you can sell it anywhere near London.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the replies and thoughts.

@jonsel does it really have to be brand new or can the garage have registered it? I guess that's the big selling point, I could put everything through the business and it suddenly becomes much cheaper for me, personally.

Good point re sitting around doing nothing if I bought now. I guess I'm scared that prices may not go down but I'm guessing with more EV's coming to market then they should. Yes, I think only Kona/ e-Niro will get the range I need.

I've done about 3k since July - I get about 650 to a tank that costs about £60 to fill up. It's a top end Golf and still as good as new inside and out but an injector went a couple of weeks ago and I've heard they are like lightbulbs - once one goes they all start going.

Majority of my journeys are over 70 miles.

I'm thinking the wait and see option is probably the best, but not so much fun. Having never bought a new car do they really become a little cheaper in March/ Sept?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don’t forget the 100% write off if you buy through your limited company. I bought my Kona that way but only works of course if you buy new.

We do 25k miles a year in it and it has cost very little and not missed a beat. 225 miles range in mid-winter spending most of its life on motorways.
Did you look at the Niro? If so, what persuaded you to go for the Kona? Tbh I've not really looked at it.

·
3,756 Posts
but not so much fun
I suspected this might have something to do with it 🤣

We only live once - if you can comfortably afford to, buy (or perhaps short term lease) an EV now. Much more fun!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I suspected this might have something to do with it 🤣

We only live once - if you can comfortable afford to, buy (or perhaps short term lease) an EV now. Much more fun!
Yup - life can be too short not to have fun!

I did think about leasing but I hate the idea of throwing good money away and with the mileage I might do it becomes quite expensive. I did think about buying a Niro now - local garage seem quite helpful and he knows I'm a hard sell - and selling in 2 years losing as much in depreciation as I would leasing. Or not? Perhaps they will continue to hold their value.

I also read/ heard that the Gov grant is falling to £3k rather than the £3.5 currently offered....

·
Registered
954 Posts
I did think about leasing but I hate the idea of throwing good money away and with the mileage I might do it becomes quite expensive.
Could argue most ways of running a car involves throwing money away, unless your getting paid 45p to drive business miles in an EV when it is a profit generator.
As your commute is personal mileage, I think it's going to be difficult to beat bangernomics, and your outlay (over 15 years) already proves this. It really depends how much you want an EV.

·
3,756 Posts
I think it sort of depends how confident you are that your mileage will stay at this low level for the next few months.

If it is going to remain pretty low then essentially whatever car you spend money on is primarily just an object that sits on the drive. If you can reconcile yourself with spending more money on that object, then get what you really want and enjoy it. If you can’t, then I’d be getting a cheap, ultra reliable petrol car that will be in high demand next year and for the foreseeable future.

The other thing to maybe consider is whether your mileage might increase as a result of having an EV. Personally, I find that having an EV which costs, say, 2p a mile to fuel encourages you to drive more than normal. So you might find that even if work mileage stays down, pleasure mileage increases with an EV because you are more inclined to go for drives, go on day trips etc. They become more appealing because a) the miles are uber cheap and b) the driving is relaxing yet fun

·
Registered
653 Posts
Why is the VW going to fail in the next 6 months? the mileage is high but at 10 years old it's not that old, average age at scrapping is closer to 14 years.

Unless it's something major like an engine problem, I'd have thought it was better to keep the diesel running for another 12 months and then make a decision. Unless it's a major fault, the repair costs are likely to be far less than the depreciation on any new car, EV or ICE.

Personally though, I wouldn't get another diesel because even though the latest models are much cleaner the on-going reliability seems problematic, I get the impression the reliability that diesels were once promoted on has gone, replaced by DPF problems. If I didn't go full EV (and the price/range is still an issue) I'd be looking at Hybrids or PHEVs, the price of these has been coming down, used Ioniq Hybrids are now around £10k and Plug-ins around £14k. Only bit which worries me is the catalytic converter thefts.

·
3,756 Posts
Yep, the super sensible and not at all fun thing to do would be to just keep using the Golf as and when required, get a cheap breakdown membership, and use it until it dies.

·
Premium Member
11,644 Posts
Be careful with the "100% WDA" allowance as it only actually helps cash flow. If you buy a new car at £30K you can claim the cost against your CT, but if you sell later for £15K you have to pay CT on those proceeds. Obviously if you buy another BEV that will offset, but if BIK rises or your situation changes you may not want to.

Ultimately you only save CT on the depreciation, which is no different to putting in a 16% pool, which you can do with a used one. As always, discuss with your accountant before making any decision.

With regard to making the change, my suggestion would be to wait and see what happens next year with your mileage. Personally, I would never go back to a fossil car but for me saving money is not always the first priority. I like nice things too!

Reactions: Donought

·
Registered
324 Posts
Found a business lease was a better deal for my business owning friends. Yes you don't own it, but it's fully dedictible and also deductible from BIK charges.

My personal Niro I PCP'ed as wanted option to own like you, but I overpaid the deposit, reducing monthly fees to less than last PCP car (which was also traded in towards deposit after purchase (was worth £4k more than buy-out), it was about a £10k payment total with the trade-in value). With that, the option to buy (at likely what I imagine will be less than I can buy one for then), or a good deposit towards next one if I fancy an upgrade.... it made sense to us. For reference went via Kia finance, free servicing on PCP (included), and works out at £210/mo, with 7p/mi on mileage over 10k. I can handle that. Overall given by moving electric provider to Octopus for Agile, my electric bill has not increased pre-EV, I'm actually saving more than the PCP payment when compared to old diesel bills from the 50-60mpg mercedes it replaced, despite the mileage we drive! We've even done long 1000+ mile trips from home to Scotland and back!

We didn't buy (despite having money) as couldn't bring ourselves to, given the money had better uses in the short term (new bathroom), and our uncertainty to if a EV would suit as a single car family. Turns out it does, and we'll almost certainally buy, or upgrade to newer model end of 3 years. The Kia IS a very good car, and I would not hesitate to get another.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.