Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apart from the 12v going flat a lot what actually breaks on the newer Leafs?

After poo pooing the leaf completely and consistently I have come to the conclusion it's the least worst option to change to after the Zoe that's not mega bucks. I would like a Kona but they're still £36-40k and that's just silly. It's fairly silly having to pay out £22-£25k for a leaf but that's still less than a new Zoe with some of the annoyances of the current one or a new E 208 with other annoyances that's £30k odd. Ditto E Corsa. Leaf does have a bigger boot and a ton of useful tech which even the New Zoe doesn't have.

There seems to be a sweet time around now while the Zoes are still keeping their prices and the Leafs are being hacked down. The 3.zero new is now £28k or so which is about £6k off ie it's now a lot closer to what it's actually worth.

Thermal battery management and rapidgate is a minor concern but as the Zoe charges at 22kw at best I can't see the Leaf 40 ever being worse. I'm also thinking that as everyone jumps on the CCS bandwagon the Chademo points might not be so crowded...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I’m very happy with my Leaf now 4 weeks old. I tried a trip with 2 rapid charges last week from 40 to 80 percent each time and the battery temp got to about halfway. Ambient temperature had been quite low but no sign of rapid gate. Also I wanted it to do the trip to London with no stop, a distance of 110 miles and it has done it twice now in sub zero temperatures with 20 miles left on the Gom. I also agree with you on the Chademo, I often stop at Oxford services which has a separate Chademo - never a queue. All in all it’s a much better car than the 30; the heater works properly and it just feels like a proper car. I got a good price through CarWow and a good trade in deal on my 30.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My best prices for the top spec Leaf (Tekna), Zoe (GT Line) and Corsa-e (Elite Nav) have all be around the £26k mark.

The e-208 (GT) has been the most expensive at £30k.

Looking purely at specs, the Corsa offers the highest kWh battery and highest kW charging capability.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Corsa is good but it's got a rear charge port which I want to avoid really. I don't know what connectivity and pre heating etc there is on it either.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Corsa is good but it's got a rear charge port which I want to avoid really. I don't know what connectivity and pre heating etc there is on it either.
Ah interesting. I find it a pain that I have to park forward in most car parks when using a fast charger. Much prefer reversing into spaces! I can see why it would be problematic with rapid chargers and the shorter cable though. I rarely use those though.

I notice that the website has been amended. There is no longer talk about an app, which is worrying, but they do mention adaptive cruise now, which is a plus. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't offer app and pre-heating, but your right, certainly yet to be confirmed.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thought. Are the Leaf SIM cards 4G or just all 3G? For future proofing and coverage I'd want dual 4G and 3G.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Apart from the 12v going flat a lot what actually breaks on the newer Leafs?
That's history if you look after it! I think more recent car's OS maintains it better than with the early Leafs. Maybe they're using more appropriate batteries now as well. Only bad Leaf 12v battery problem I've had was on a Japanese Gen 1 and that was swapped under warranty.
Now on 4th Leaf and no issues to report at all. Even did three rapids and a fast charge in one day without rapidgate rearing it's head in my Leaf 40.

Re the Corsa. It's a Vauxhall (n)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts