Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having battled with this for 3 days now, I can't see anything good about it at all!
It goes without saying that you have to sell your soul to them and let them know every little detail about you life and movements, give them access to everything with absolutely no control over what they do with it, but what do i get in return?
So far, its:
"tap the notification on your device". What effin' device? what notification? Huh, i'm sitting my car, but if i don't do it, i can't use the app.
"let me just get some more information on that for you" And off she pops, never to be heard of again.
In response to "phone home" i get 'there is no contact set up', despite the fact i am sitting looking at it
Yes, i can set a destination in navigation. But there is no way to save that, set up a 'home' destination, or indeed any other frequently used addresses, or recall previously entered ones.
Apps. Where are they, i cant see any. Radio France? No ,ta. And presumably they are all subscription based anyway
The list goes on......it's shite!
User friendly as a cornered rat, we used to say in the good old days....

P.S. Yes, i am a dinosaur, from an age where tech existed to help people, not enslave them!

·
Registered
268 Posts
The only really useful apps at the moment are Spotify and/or YouTube Music, Radioplayer which is pretty good and now includes on demand stuff as well as live, and Pocket Casts which is an excellent cross-platform podcast app.

I'd already set my Home and Work locations in google maps (not via Android Automotive), and saved plenty of other ones - they all appear as expected.

I'm confused you're not seeing recent destinations etc. as when you tap into the search box, the initial view is of all the recent destinations. There are then tabs on the left for 'categories' and 'saved'.

You're right though, I cannot see any way of saving destinations on Android Automotive at all. Has to be done on the phone / desktop. I may have missed something, but I can't think of anything else to try. The functionality just doesn't seem to be there - neither by touch or speaking to Google Assistant.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Android auto (not Google auto):
Can select your playlists directly from your screen. I know you can do it from your phone when connected via Bluetooth but you're not supposed to while driving.
All your previous map searches done on your phone are available in your car. No need to send the destination.
If you use Google assistant on your phone (Hey Google ....) Then that's available in your car.
Can choose which apps are available in your car. E.g. if you prefer Waze to Google maps then you can use that or Spotify etc.
Common interface from one car to a other.

It's of limited value unless the above appeal to you. In my case they do as I'm a 54 year old tech nerd

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,525 Posts
I haven’t sat in a Polestar 2, let alone had any time trying the system, so I can’t comment on it directly, and I’m sure there are aspects that are quite novel, but quite a lot of what I’ve seen it can do via YouTube videos didn’t seem that groundbreaking to me.

eg Asking for directions to an obscure place that is unlikely to be in a traditional POI database and requires an internet search...my i3 can do that and it works really well - just say “online search then the name of the place or type of place” and it comes back with suggestions and details.

or

I saw Rory Reid getting excited during a PS2 review because he could ask Google who Rory Reid is and it duly obliged... my i3 can do that too - just say “Alexa, who’s Rory Reid”.

What’s the best thing it does?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Sounds like you haven't got the "Home" location set up - note this isn't just a saved place that you've name "Home". Try long-pressing on the maps screen and see if it offers an option to "Set as Home" as that's how it works on Google Maps online.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My belief was that the car functions completely as a stand alone system, but it can benefit from your phone contacts and music/media if you so choose.
In my case, i do not have much music on my phone as i am largely home based and its on my home systems with no need to put it on my phone. I keep contact phone numbers on my mobile which is sync'ed to the P2, but not address details etc. So i have allowed contacts but not media with the car.

I'm confused you're not seeing recent destinations etc. as when you tap into the search box, the initial view is of all the recent destinations. There are then tabs on the left for 'categories' and 'saved'.

You're right though, I cannot see any way of saving destinations on Android Automotive at all. Has to be done on the phone / desktop. I may have missed something, but I can't think of anything else to try. The functionality just doesn't seem to be there - neither by touch or speaking to Google Assistant
You're right, thank you. Tapping on the search brings up recent destinations and the tabs, but there is no way to save them.

Can select your playlists directly from your screen. I know you can do it from your phone when connected via Bluetooth but you're not supposed to while driving.
All your previous map searches done on your phone are available in your car. No need to send the destination.
If you use Google assistant on your phone (Hey Google ....) Then that's available in your car.
Can choose which apps are available in your car. E.g. if you prefer Waze to Google maps then you can use that or Spotify etc.
I don't use Assistant on my phone, I feel a big enough prat saying 'hey google' in the car so mainly use the steering wheel button! (Shame you can't change the prompt to 'hey honey' or 'hey slave' or something!) I don't do map searches on my phone, never needed to. I want my playlist in the car, where i use it, not on my phone.

The over arching problem is that anything phones based will not be there if another key/phone holder uses the car. In our case it is likely that both the music playlists, contacts and destinations will be the same whoever is driving and should be where we need them - in the car system.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like you haven't got the "Home" location set up - note this isn't just a saved place that you've name "Home". Try long-pressing on the maps screen and see if it offers an option to "Set as Home" as that's how it works on Google Maps online.
Thanks, but first thing i tried, but no luck.
Must be possible because when we did the test drive all the cars had a home destination programmed in, in case some one became separated.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Yes, we used it when we lost the cars in front on the roundabouts on the outskirts of Banbury. Very useful!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't use Assistant on my phone said:
Comes down to personal preference I suppose. Horses for courses as it were. All my music is on my phone. All my wife's music is on hers and my son's on his. If any of us are driving on their own, they get to play their music with minimal effort.
When I'm driving, I'm more likely to call one of my contacts than my wife's.
When going somewhere new, I might Google the place on my phone in advance perhaps weeks before I make the journey. Google maps will remember that search. Next time I'm in my car, I can instantly get directions with Android Auto. These days almost all new cars have this capability and over time will become the standard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts