Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
EV6 GTLineS due soon - ID.3 Family gone :(
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Granted fairly limited miles to date, but have been happily tooling about in Eco mode, with Eco assistance turned on and that seems to work very well for me.
Seeing as B mode isn’t really one pedal driving, when do you use it and what advantages does it give?
I haven’t really got a good feel for it yet.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,025 Posts
Granted fairly limited miles to date, but have been happily tooling about in Eco mode, with Eco assistance turned on and that seems to work very well for me.
Seeing as B mode isn’t really one pedal driving, when do you use it and what advantages does it give?
I haven’t really got a good feel for it yet.
I use B mode all the time. It's near enough one pedal driving for me, coming from a Golf GTE.

As ever it gives a very relaxed drive.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have B-mode on my passat gte and I only use it when I'm not driving on highways, every time I have to slow down for roundabout or intersection I pull it in B-mode so that I don't have to brake, afterwards I immediately switched back to D-mode

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tour
2,853 Posts
I am still waiting for my car but with what I have heard my understanding is -

I would use 'B' mode for driving around town or when there is a lot of starting and stopping.

On open roads when using ACC the car when slowing automaticity coming up to a roundabout or approaching another car, will regen when slowing down, that is when I wouldn't use 'B' mode.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The car slows itself down for junctions, other cars, roundabouts and sharp corners when the car is in 'D' mode. I only use B mode when I want to brake to turn into a junction. B mode in sport mode is slightly more aggressive but I would like b mode to offer more regen, it is definitely less regen than on my old GTE.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Would be great if ID.3 had the paddles like Ioniq has, which make using B/D at bends etc a no-brainer, and one-pedal driving is possible as a tug-and-hold of the left paddle brings car to a halt. One dab on LHS paddle increases regen one notch, one on RHS paddle decreases it. Settings well displayed in the usefully large display in front of wheel. (Probably not enough space on the tiny thing VW have inserted).

Sadly needs a significant hand move to swap D<->B on ID.3, so I'm tending to stay in D a lot more than I do in the Ioniq!

If I could put the Ioniq body & interior & controls onto the ID.3 chassis & battery, I would. Sadly, ID.3's ergonomics are horribly crippled.

·
Registered
543 Posts
D mode. The energy conversion losses to heat and a battery charge/discharge efficiency of something like 90% will always mean you'll loose energy with regeneration and then follow on acceleration when compared to anticipating the road ahead and simply coasting with minimal mechanical drag. You're loosing 10 to 15% of the potential energy in the regeneration process.

Even riding the brakes down hill or using regeneration makes no difference. The car will (normally) regenerate all it can before the brakes are operated. Sharp, short jabs of the brake pedal aside.

I think that the B mode is there to appease buyers who demand a noticeable regeneration process and in the ID3 is pointless as it doesn't even justify itself with 1 foot driving.

There's an ID4 poster from VW which states most of this even stating that the mechanical brakes don't normally operate until 0.25g is requested which is good going in normal driving.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,975 Posts
Very rarely.
I use it occasionally if driving slowly in town, going down a hill, pulling off the motorway but mostly I prefer to use the brake pedal.

Slightly off topic but it's there a way to turn regen off in sport mode?
I like the accelerator pedal more sensitive but don't like regen on all the time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have driven around 1000 miles so far and not used it other than to test. In D, the car automatically slows when approaching another car or a roundabout etc. so I don't see the point. In my old car (leaf) I was constantly switching to B when approaching stuff, but really impressed that the ID does it for me.

Have recently started using ACC in slow traffic, as I find it works really well there, with me just occasionally pushing the accelerator to get the car to move of faster.

Also keep trying to remember to set auto-hold when driving in traffic, annoyingly it appears to forget once it's been set if left for a while. Not sure why the manufacturers see the need to add creep onto EV's.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Very rarely.
I use it occasionally if driving slowly in town, going down a hill, pulling off the motorway but mostly I prefer to use the brake pedal.

Slightly off topic but it's there a way to turn regen off in sport mode?
I like the accelerator pedal more sensitive but don't like regen on all the time.
Is there not an option for a custom mode where you could combine sport with minimal regen?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Also keep trying to remember to set auto-hold when driving in traffic, annoyingly it appears to forget once it's been set if left for a while. Not sure why the manufacturers see the need to add creep onto EV's.
I'm guessing you don't have the 0783 software yet? The auto-hold-switching-itself-off bug is fixed with that version.

·
Registered
139 Posts
D-mode for me. 2 reasons. I regularly swap between ICE and EV and throws me every time I let of the gas. The ICE does almost no braking. So I just use the brake pedal in both EV and ICE always, no need to drive differently. The EV will regen when pressing brake pedal. Second reason. D-mode with eco assist, is perfect. It coasts when nothing in front and slows down when car in front slows down or approaching a junction. With ACC it even stops, so no need to touch brake pedal. Ok, 3 reasons. To coast in B-mode is not that easy, one has to find that sweet spot between accelerating and braking which I find tiresome. What kind of driving would it look like from behind if one is constantly shifting from brake lights to accelerator because driver hasn’t quite fathomed coasting?

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
Another D mode only guy here, I just don't find B mode very nice. I'm sure if I got used to it it would be as bad, but for me the smoothness of coasting in D mode and the auto braking is just right. Maybe it's different if you mainly drive in the city?

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,025 Posts
Another D mode only guy here, I just don't find B mode very nice. I'm sure if I got used to it it would be as bad, but for me the smoothness of coasting in D mode and the auto braking is just right. Maybe it's different if you mainly drive in the city?
It's all about what you feel comfortable with of course.

I found that I didn't feel in control of the car when coasting in D mode. I also enjoyed learning the fine control of the accelerator that you need to get the best out of B mode and found the effect to be rather like engine braking with a manual transmission.

Needing to apply the brakes for a full stop also seems natural as does the sight creep under zero throttle. Allows very neat slow speed adjustments.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.