Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking into a house charger. Cost isn't that high up the importance tree for us, where looks with a tethered cable are.

So the A2 is looking really good choice for us. However I know there were some earlier issues via forums and other social sites, but for people that have one know, I'd love to know your new short term or long term findings!

So please if a user then you can please give me your impressions and thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
227 Posts
It looks brilliant and works superbly well.

I've learned that there bringing out wireless clamps that will work with solar/battery and fuse saver is you need them.

There on Gen3 now and I haven't heard any issues on them?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am an electrician and approved to fit the Andersen charger, the build quality and attention to detail is second to none and by far the best built charger on the market.
Never had a customer have any issues, If the A2 isnt your cup of tea then i would suggest the Zappi

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very pleased with ours. We went with the A2 primarily for the appearance, but as others have said it is a solid piece of kit. No issues of any kind with it - it all worked as it should as soon as installed, which in my case was by one of Andersen's own electricians.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Finally got our Andersen A2 installed today! It just works and looks neat/clean :)

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had mine for a couple of weeks. No idea if it works ok ... still waiting for my EV!

Does look good and not like an EV charger.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had mine for a couple of weeks. No idea if it works ok ... still waiting for my EV!

Does look good and not like an EV charger.
Because of where my drive is, the charger unit has to be mounted on the front of the house - I just didn't want an obviously plastic charger box right there. The Andersen let me choose colours to fit in with the brickwork.

One thing I hadn't appreciated till I read the literature after fixing (!) was that if you want to change the colour scheme. both the side and front panels can be replaced with others of a different colour/finish. Not that I see myself ever needing to do that, but others might find it useful.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've had problems with mine - the communication module failed which disabled the charger as it couldn't be unlocked. They fixed it reasonably promptly with no fuss, but it's a real pain being without for the two or three weeks it takes to get someone to diagnose and fix it. It has failed again recently but that appears to be due to poor quality installation - arcing on output connectors as covered in a separate thread. Again fixed under warranty, but I am afraid it all reflects on Andersen as they own the process including installation. I believe they have now taken installation in-house so may have improved things.

Service has been good with one proviso - they give the impression of being a small, caring outfit in danger of becoming overwhelmed by their own growth. You will either get a response really quickly or not at all. If the email goes off the bottom of the screen I think it's forgotten...they've had to be prompted on more than one occasion.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've had problems with mine - the communication module failed which disabled the charger as it couldn't be unlocked. They fixed it reasonably promptly with no fuss, but it's a real pain being without for the two or three weeks it takes to get someone to diagnose and fix it. It has failed again recently but that appears to be due to poor quality installation - arcing on output connectors as covered in a separate thread. Again fixed under warranty, but I am afraid it all reflects on Andersen as they own the process including installation. I believe they have now taken installation in-house so may have improved things.

Service has been good with one proviso - they give the impression of being a small, caring outfit in danger of becoming overwhelmed by their own growth. You will either get a response really quickly or not at all. If the email goes off the bottom of the screen I think it's forgotten...they've had to be prompted on more than one occasion.
Absolutely agreed that their customer service is questionable. The only reason we went for it was becuase of the neat cable stowed away look. Otherwise, I would have got a Zappi: great features, great customer service, strong communtity of owners/users online, clear API access, etc.
It will just take Zappi to release a new model with neat cable wrap/stow and Andersen will have a problem.

My installation was done by a third-party, Andersen trained electrician, who I directly placed the order with.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Because of where my drive is, the charger unit has to be mounted on the front of the house - I just didn't want an obviously plastic charger box right there. The Andersen let me choose colours to fit in with the brickwork.
I agree if it has to be mounted to the front of the house, then a basic wall box can be a little bit of an eye sore !.
Some people are not really to bothered, but if you can clearly see it from the road then it would defo kick off my OCD.
My driveway is just about barely long enough to take my ZS EV.
But has plenty of space to accommodate two cars side by side.
My basic wall box is therefore fitted to the inside wall of the integral garage.
I just run the charging cable under the garage door when I want to charge.
If the box had to be fitted outside of the garage, then I would either go for the Andersen or the Zappi for sure.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've not run into any problems, either technical or in terms of response, so nothing adverse to report.

Zappi would have been my number two choice, just for the record. Though I didn't get the impression the user interface between the two was functionally that different. Maybe there are factors I missed in reviewing them?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've not run into any problems, either technical or in terms of response, so nothing adverse to report.

Zappi would have been my number two choice, just for the record. Though I didn't get the impression the user interface between the two was functionally that different. Maybe there are factors I missed in reviewing them?
Zappi has API access and, for example, can export log of the charges.
Andersen claimed to have all this when I ordered (6+ months ago), but those features got removed from their product features page by the time my install actually happened.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I’ve had good customer service but had a few weird issues. (Partly cross posting from another thread - apols)

It appears when it drops WiFi or internet connection it just starts charging even if you’re on a schedule and it’s not meant to be charging yet. According to Andersen this is so you’re not locked out of using it if your internet goes down (which i suppose is fair enough!). I think this can also lead to the usage not being logged in the app.

I’ve rearranged my mesh routers to help the signal near the charger and this has stopped it dropping out.

But even when it’s charging as scheduled and has a good connection I’ve found the reported kWh usage is much lower in the Andersen Konnect app than in reality. The Konnect app reports 7.1kW on the main app screen when plugged in. But over an hour the Konnect app reports show much less (around 5kWh for an hour). But my smart meter does show the whole 7kW (plus some small baseline usage).

anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
470 Posts
But even when it’s charging as scheduled and has a good connection I’ve found the reported kWh usage is much lower in the Andersen Konnect app than in reality. The Konnect app reports 7.1kW on the main app screen when plugged in. But over an hour the Konnect app reports show much less (around 5kWh for an hour). But my smart meter does show the whole 7kW (plus some small baseline usage).

anyone else seen this?
Yes - after latest app update I had noted that it seemed to be under-reporting by about 10-15%.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yes - after latest app update I had noted that it seemed to be under-reporting by about 10-15%.
Oh dear. For a premium product, I'd really expect much better than this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
To be fair the physical build quality and appearance do seem premium, and it does actually charge the car up, but yeah the app reporting and scheduling is a wee bit buggy. They've been quite responsive over email and chat about the issues though.

·
Registered
576 Posts
To be fair the physical build quality and appearance do seem premium, and it does actually charge the car up, but yeah the app reporting and scheduling is a wee bit buggy. They've been quite responsive over email and chat about the issues though.
Agreed on appearance.
If it cannot do its smart features properly, with sensilbe failovers, then its appearance is the only thing it has going for it.

After all, an industrial commando socket would have the build quality and just work. Add an inline meter to capture the power usage and PEN fault detection device. Let the car itself manage charging schedule or a smart device like the Shelley. All for about 20-30% of the price.
(I am seriously feeling that I should have done that all along instead)

·
Registered
27 Posts
TBF, now I've improved the wifi signal the scheduling seems OK. I'm still waiting for the scheduling feature on my car to become available!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I missed this discussion initially. It sounds very odd, TBH! I can't really see how the app. could have much to do with misreporting charge rates. Surely that function is in the charger itself? Still, what would I know?

I can't say I have seen any evidence of this with mine. It does and reports what it is supposed to. I wish I could say the same of the app. for my e-Niro (UVO), which from time to time takes on a mind of its own. When it responds at all, that is, as we are in a not-spot.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts