Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at this detail on the new BMW ix, having the covers hinged like this seems so much better than the usual fiddly covers-on-a-string that most EVs seem to have.
It really can't add much cost in the scheme of things, can it ?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,104 Posts
Are you sure? That is at least 10 times more expensive than the latest door/seal combos (e.g. updated Kona). So, from 1 car POV it might be worth it. How about a million?

And by the way, how much is the iX?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure? That is at least 10 times more expensive than the latest door/seal combos (e.g. updated Kona). So, from 1 car POV it might be worth it. How about a million?

And by the way, how much is the iX?
So a £1 bit of dangly plastic becomes a £10 ergonomic hinged cap - I'd happily pay an extra £30 on a £30K car price for that

·
Registered
203 Posts
Looking at this detail on the new BMW ix, having the covers hinged like this seems so much better than the usual fiddly covers-on-a-string that most EVs seem to have.
I used to like watching her videos a lot....lately she become a bit annoying with this constant: " WOW how cool is that" I am sure that she is still very appealing for a lot of people but for me she is becoming very "childish" kind of presenter. My nephew is 12 years old and he sound way more mature than her and don't start me on her new "team members" :cool:

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,104 Posts
So a £1 bit of dangly plastic becomes a £10 ergonomic hinged cap - I'd happily pay an extra £30 on a £30K car price for that
According to reports, the iX will be £70k...

You can pay anything you want, but it is not about you. You will never get this on a £30k car. Sorry to spoil your dreams.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
What are you talking about. iMiEv from 2010 had hinged charging port covers with proper seals.

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
It’s £700 to fix the hinged cap if it breaks off the Zoe as it’s the whole charging port that comes as one part lol
Let's hope the ZE50 one is less prone to break. I didn't ask Gatwick valet to charge my Zoe because I was concerned they might break it, instead I plugged into 22kW in short term and checked bags in. Went back and moved it to valet section.

Like I am sure many here, I couldn't possibly have an EV with that hideous mock ICE grill.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I like the fiddly cover on a string charge socket cover. I fit it onto the equivalent cover on the charging lead, so that rain doesn't get inside the caps when charging. I'm a little paranoid after seeing people talking about the pins in the lead and socket corroding, and keeping the rain out by joining the two covers when charging means that I don't have to worry about drying them before putting them back onto the socket or plug.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
It’s £700 to fix the hinged cap if it breaks off the Zoe as it’s the whole charging port that comes as one part lol
Yep, just do a poll asking how many Zoe owners have had their hinge break, I'm one of them :(

1 - 20 of 35 Posts