Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

After a successful 48hr trial I'm planning to call Electric Avenue in the morning to sign up for the social trial.

As I understand it I will receive an Acenta and then I can apply for a discounted/free charging point to be installed.

I'll need to register for the various cards needed to access the charging network - ecotricity etc.

I've received some reasonable insurance quotes, which will be fine.

Have I missed anything? Anything else should know? I read about people carrying different cables - is this something I should budget for?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions. Thanks to Darren Griffin for pointing me in the direction of this site.

Many thanks

Matthew

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Have you considered whether you want to go for the 7kW charger (if that is an option on the My Electric Avenue!).

If you get the standard car with 3kW charger then IIRC you will get a 10A cable for plugging in to a 3-pin socket. If you get the 7kW charger then you won't get that 10A charger but intsead you will get a type 1/type 2 cable for use on public charging posts.

Whichever one you get you may want to get the cable that is not supplied but you will have to buy it... you get one with the car but not the other. Budget £150 - £400 depending on which one.

Welcome to the forum! You should get a lot of help here as many are on the MEA Social Trial :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think that is an option - but I'm not sure. I'll try to find out tomorrow.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Welcome! Check out charging in your area and regular routes using the various maps (Open Charge Map, Ecotricity Electric Highway, Zap Map and others) and see what cards you may need.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Paul - I guess some of those will have apps also?

In our test drive car the charger locations in the Sat Nav would not update - kept telling me the service was unavailable. Bizarrely the Nissan dealer in Leamington isn't on the list of charging stations!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I don't think that is an option - but I'm not sure. I'll try to find out tomorrow.
Well if it isn't an option you might want to budget for a type 1/type 2 cable if you want to use public charging other than rapid chargers :) Allow £150 if you do want one

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - hadn't thought of that scenario. I'd assumed that all public points were rapid. Which I now understand is a bit naive.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Wasn't someone saying the other day that applications for this trial have now ended or was it something else?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Wasn't someone saying the other day that applications for this trial have now ended or was it something else?
I thought I saw that too, but the website doesn't indicate that it's closed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can add the 7kW charger but the cost will be added to the lease. They won't help you with a home charger though, you have to arrange that yourself on the Social Trial.
Just given them a call - to add the charger will cost £850 payable on collection of the car.

Not sure it's worth it at that cost.....

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Shame. Can make a massive difference if you are likely to drive many miles in a day regularly. Gives you 30 miles charge in an hour at home with 32 amp charger or full charge in 3 to 4 hours. Also with the time restricted dealer and other points gives you useful opportunity charging during the working day. Plus the Zero Net chargers allow long distance leisure driving - for instance, a long drive to a rural welsh pub that empties the battery, a leisurely pub lunch - then you are fully charged

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I have to agree with Steve. Without the 7kw charger my car would be really quite tough to live with. That full charge in a few hours makes all the difference when I am out and about.

At home however I have taken to popping the car on 10A EVSE and slowly tricking in with the solar panels. This seems to add a decent amount for free and then I slowly top up overnight if it does not complete in the day

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Absolutely. Depends on usage. Off work last week I only needed to charge every few days so 7kw no benefit. Normally for me - essential.

Did read that it is slightly more efficent so a fraction of a penny of a penny per mile cheaper to charge....which will help pay off the additional cost over the life of the car!

Also not possible to change your mind on this one later....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the comments ref the 7kw Charger.

My wife will be the main driver of the Leaf - school runs, swimming lessons, supermarket runs etc. She does about 25 miles a day.

I'll use it to commute occasionally (56 mile round trip).

The monthly cost of the Leaf will be less than she spends on petrol at the moment.

If we upgrade the charger, but decide not to keep the car after 18 months, we've effectively given away £850 to the finance company, as they'l have a more valuable asset.......

Still thinking

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
In that case you really don't need the 7kw charger. Really the £850 upgrade price is £1400 or so as what you don't get with the 7kw unit is an EVSE which you'll also want.

With the 3kw you do get the EVSE which means that you can pretty much go anywhere and charge up.

The only frustration that I can see would be that you have done your 56 mile commute, arrive at home and then want to go out for a longer than 25 mile trip. In this case you'll want to know the location of a nearby rapid charger that you can call in to.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts