Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my brand new ZS EV - and noticed that the updates had not been done - turns out that the software updates are optional. Weird. Why sell a new car with the old software - what are MG up to?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Seems they are doing it to make money going by other posts (n)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Just picked up my brand new ZS EV - and noticed that the updates had not been done - turns out that the software updates are optional. Weird. Why sell a new car with the old software - what are MG up to?
Is this policy of "optional" updates something you have been told by the dealer / or read on another forum / or seen in an official MG notice?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Told by the dealer when I realised my new car ( bought 2 days earlier) did not have the updates. It's being updated next week at no charge because I specifically asked if it would be updated when I ordered the car.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Told by the dealer when I realised my new car ( bought 2 days earlier) did not have the updates. It's being updated next week at no charge because I specifically asked if it would be updated when I ordered the car.
Thanks - its just possible that the dealer was speaking on his own behalf rather than quoting the official line...

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,232 Posts
This sounds all wrong. My local dealer and the dealer I bought my car from were busily updating their new cars back in April (post lockdown) enmasse before letting them out for sale.

Some dealers just cannot be trusted and it's looks like yours is one of them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How can you find out if the updated sw is installed? I mean without OBD2 witchcraft or such.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
One dong on startup instead of two. Outside air temp displayed on touchscreen.

On topic, my pre reg didn’t have the update either. Dealer said something about customers needing to sign a disclaimer before having it done. Haven’t booked it in yet so not sure if that’s true.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Oh yeah, it’s cheap for a reason. But honestly, after paying £600 a month for a Model 3 (which wasn’t screwed together properly and sh*t the bed every two minutes), I don’t really care about paying £150 one-off for a cable and £70 for an update.

At least with MG, I’ll be sat in their dealership with a coffee while it’s being done, instead of sat in the car for over an hour with a crappy tethered connection - then have to phone Tesla to push the update anyway after the car fails halfway through it.

·
Registered
17,355 Posts
At least with MG, I’ll be sat in their dealership with a coffee while it’s being done, instead of sat in the car for over an hour with a crappy tethered connection - then have to phone Tesla to push the update anyway after the car fails halfway through it.
Which says more about your garage WiFi (or lack of it) than anything else.

Enjoy your dealer visits on the MG. How much does each coffee work out to be? :)

·
Zoe Devotee
9,182 Posts
The hits just keep coming.

They did explain why it was cheap, right?
I suppose the saving grace is that MG as a firm listened to its car buyers and released updates. ;) Their customer service gave with one hand and took back with the other, not really a new concept with car firms.

Renault did the same but it was a multi year fight to get them to let you open the windows while charging. They never did fix Rlink properly, probably why they replaced it with the new system (with all new bugs). 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: TiJayFLY and Neilew

·
Registered
17,355 Posts
I suppose the saving grace is that MG as a firm listened to its car buyers and released updates.
Fair one.

I have had two OTA updates on the Zoe already. +1

They don’t seem to have done anything or fixed the obvious missing features. -1

1 - 15 of 15 Posts