Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Model 3 AWD LR with an EAP Upgrade purchased in October 2020.

I have software updates in the car set to Advanced and at first the car was updating every couple of weeks.

The current version is 2020.48.35.5 but it has not notified me of any updates since the beginning of the year and it's now March.

According to Tesla online resources, there have been some 2021 updates, but I've not been notified yet to download them.

Should I be concerned about the lack of updates since my 2020 version?

How can I tell if my particular car should have had an update?

·
Registered
173 Posts
My Model3 LR has been sitting at exactly the same version as yours for the same amount of time, also on 'advanced' updates. The 2021 updates seem to have introduced so many bugs they pulled the distribution, and subsequent versions have mostly been addressing the bugs they added for those affected (such as the seat profile saving problem).

I've seen reports on other forums that the latest (2021.4.11) seems to have finally addressed them, I wouldn't be surprised to see that pushed to us soon.

Doing a manual update check can sometimes hurry along an update, assuming it's already been allocated to your car, but seems quite random on the whole. After 7 months of ownership I just go with the flow now and they have always reached me in the end.

Reactions: paulsinger

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I keep checking the software update screen in the car on the Driving tab but it just always says up to date.

The car is connected to WiFi.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I’m in the same position with my Model 3 Performance. My Stats app reports five updates after this release but as BruceH mentions this could be down to stability issues, or possibly they were just for FSD users.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There have been 6 minor updates since 48.35.5 put out to a number of beta testers in several countries. The beta testers are checking the bugs have been fixed before a national rollout, so no you have not missed out on any updates.
I noticed today that the latest 21.4.11 has now stalled being rolled out so its likely that another bug has been identified.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Try giving the car a reboot.

I am in a late 2019 M3P with FSD. It has received most of the "mass rollout" releases usually between a day and two weeks of them showing up on TeslaFi.

I generally count most "mass rollouts" as being when there are more than a few hundred cars getting the release.

It looks (based on TeslaFi) that there is still a fair segment of the fleet on 2020.48.35.5, so I would guess that your car isn't stuck but for whatever reason Tesla hasn't flipped the switch on your VIN yet.

Everything since 2020.48.35.5 has been "minor fixes" according to Teslascope, so I would presume those are minor fixes that don't affect your specific configuration or where Tesla are doing A/B testing.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have not been able to connect my new M3 to wifi so far. MUST the car be on wifi to accept updates? What happens if its not?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have not been able to connect my new M3 to wifi so far. MUST the car be on wifi to accept updates? What happens if its not?
I've found the car will notify you there is an update available (as long as it has 4G connectivity), and ask you to connect to wifi to download it. I've used my mobile hotspot a couple of times due to weak wifi reception on our drive.
If you never connect to wifi then I'm not sure what the policy is for over-the-air updates these days; when there were fewer Teslas around I recall it was common, but now I assume there are cost and mobile network constraints leading Tesla to encourage the wifi approach. I assume Tesla would still push safety critical updates via 4G if absolutely needed.
Tesla perhaps reserve the right to do an update on your behalf the next time you visit a service centre for whatever reason. I've always kept up to date through my own choice though.

Reactions: gnomen

·
EGGY
1,551 Posts
I just got the latest, I wouldn't stress there's nothing on it other than "bug fixes" which could mean anything. To be fair, didn't check the map version. It's all about FSD it seems

1 - 12 of 12 Posts