Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question 1:
I'm unsure whether my 2016 24 kWh Acenta has received a software update via a dealership. Is there anyway I can tell if this has been performed? I have looked at this thread Software updates the instructions appear not to work, has anyone else tried this?

Question 2:
I have heard a software update can improve the battery SOH, is this so and how does an update do this?

Question 3:
What else is improved by a software update?

Thanks for all replies :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
The one that improves the SOH is for the 30kWh model only I believe. It doesn't actually improve it, but rather changes the way that it reads the SOH from the cells more than anything else.

The easiest ways to check are with an OBD Dongle or by asking the dealer. But the method you linked to does work, it just sometimes takes several attempts to get right before it decides you let you in to the hidden menu there.

The LEAF is pretty stable in terms of it's software. There hasn't been that much pushed out in the way of updates, and there isn't a lot that was improved upon over the years, especially with yours which was a fairly late model 24kWh.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information there :)

Maybe I'm not performing the procedure correctly. It mentions about pressing the map and audio buttons. Does this mean the touch screen buttons ?

Oh dear, so the SOH on 24 kWh car can't be improved by any from of software update?

I do have the OBD port dongle and LeafSpy, can this app tell me if a software update has been performed?

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
LEAFSPY Pro will tell you which versions you have, you just need to enable the Service Menu.
I too thought that the BMS upgrade was only for the LEAF 30.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Maybe I'm not performing the procedure correctly. It mentions about pressing the map and audio buttons. Does this mean the touch screen buttons ?
The physical buttons rather than the ones on screen, from memory.
Oh dear, so the SOH on 24 kWh car can't be improved by any from of software update?
Correct. You're stuck with whatever your SOH is right now, so hopefully you picked your car wisely and didn't rely on the possibiliy of an update to boost this. Of course, if it has sat around for a while, putting it back into regular use with a few charge/discharge cycles as well as a rapid charge every now and then will boost this figure a little I'm sure.
I do have the OBD port dongle and LeafSpy, can this app tell me if a software update has been performed?
As above by dk6780. You can check the current software version against whatever is available right now. But off the top of my head I can't think of any memorable updates (if there were even any at all) for a 24kWh model of that age. If you do get any updates done it is likely going to be very minor things that you won't notice, so don't expect to see any fancy new features or major changes to anything.

Is there something wrong with your LEAF that you are especially concerned about and are hoping there's a fix for it? Or were you just hoping to get lucky and find something new to improve the overall experience?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The physical buttons rather than the ones on screen, from memory.

Correct. You're stuck with whatever your SOH is right now, so hopefully you picked your car wisely and didn't rely on the possibiliy of an update to boost this. Of course, if it has sat around for a while, putting it back into regular use with a few charge/discharge cycles as well as a rapid charge every now and then will boost this figure a little I'm sure.

As above by dk6780. You can check the current software version against whatever is available right now. But off the top of my head I can't think of any memorable updates (if there were even any at all) for a 24kWh model of that age. If you do get any updates done it is likely going to be very minor things that you won't notice, so don't expect to see any fancy new features or major changes to anything.

Is there something wrong with your LEAF that you are especially concerned about and are hoping there's a fix for it? Or were you just hoping to get lucky and find something new to improve the overall experience?
When I purchased my Leaf I was very much unaware of the information as I am now. I didn't have LeafSpy when I was looking over the car. I was just hoping that an update would increase the SOH on a 24 kWh car, I appreciate it doesn't.

I haven't used a rapid charger in months, you think this might help to increase the SOH a little? charge from 20% to 80% ?

·
Registered
765 Posts
When I purchased my Leaf I was very much unaware of the information as I am now. I didn't have LeafSpy when I was looking over the car. I was just hoping that an update would increase the SOH on a 24 kWh car, I appreciate it doesn't.

I haven't used a rapid charger in months, you think this might help to increase the SOH a little? charge from 20% to 80% ?
A rapid charge or two will definitely pull the SOH up a bit, as will AC charging from a fairly low SOC all the way to 100% to help with cell balancing. The numbers will increase a little but typically they will return to where they started after a while. The boost they give isn't something you will usually keep long term.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A rapid charge or two will definitely pull the SOH up a bit, as will AC charging from a fairly low SOC all the way to 100% to help with cell balancing. The numbers will increase a little but typically they will return to where they started after a while. The boost they give isn't something you will usually keep long term.
Right then, off for a DC rapid charge then. Really appreciate the information, I'll act on it this evening :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts