Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my e-Niro 4 since July and estimated range on a full charge was about 280 miles (250 real world). I only use the car for a daily work commute of 80 miles round trip. Since I had a software update to fix a screen issue last month the range now on a full charge is 250 so I guess real world 220?
I understand that the estimate is based on driving behaviour and climate, etc so I've given it a month to work out my driving style since the update but still the 250 miles is the maximum on full charge.
Obviously in July it was warmer but now it's not that cold and has been a relatively dry autumn/winter. This week has been 13-15 degrees. So is the 30 mile difference really due to the temperature difference between when I got the car and now? The summer wasn't that scorching. Or could it be the new update underestimates the range? Does anyone else have the purple screen update and found a lower range?
Thanks

·
Registered
Soul EV 2020
120 Posts
13c certainly seems to be the start of a dropoff ~0.1m/kwh in my case, and about ~0.3 @8c - ca 10-20 miles.

however, if the vehicle is parked outside overnight, like my soul (which has the same battery etc) then i've noticed an effect from the overnight temperatures?

When morning temperatures started being 11-13c I noticed that the morning school run was dropping to 3.7-4.0 m/kwh yet the identical journey in the evening, even when the outside temperature was the same, was 4.4-4.9 m/kwh.

I don't charge overnight so i'm assuming the battery mass has cooled down below ~10c and naturally takes some time to catch up.

If you are charging overnight - might be worth seeing if you can time the end of the charge for when you start - so the battery is warm!

·
Registered
485 Posts
The algorithm to estimate mileage is just that, an estimation. Now the estimate of the impact of colder weather comes into the calculation as well.

The only thing that is really relevant is what mileage you actually get, and you can only "prove" that by running it down to effectively not moving.

I've had 3 EV's and they all seem to be overly sensitive in their estimate when the weather gets colder.

Really, don't worry, and note what your car actually accomplishes. I look more to percentage remaining.

Greg

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Personally I think it's the software because dealer only had car for 1.5 days and before would read 280 miles and immediately after update 250 miles. Nothing including temperature changed much in those 1.5 days.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has your average consumption (kWh/mile) changed since the update was applied?
No. The same journey daily driving at 70mph was and still is giving me 3.4-3.5 kWh/mile. Most of the factors have stayed relatively the same except temperature is about 4-5 degrees colder and the update. Guess temperature could still account for 30 miles but seems a lot to me?

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
No. The same journey daily driving at 70mph was and still is giving me 3.4-3.5 kWh/mile. Most of the factors have stayed relatively the same except temperature is about 4-5 degrees colder and the update. Guess temperature could still account for 30 miles but seems a lot to me?
The e-Niro 4 has either a 64kWh or a 39kWh battery and you're getting 3.4-3.5mi/kWh, correct? The "cdlb Guess-O-Meter (tm)" predicts that you'll be getting at most 64kWh x 3.5mi/kWh = 224 miles. So if it is purely down to the software, they've just replaced one random number with a different (slightly more realistic) number.

And it's colder.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
The e-Niro 4 has either a 64kWh or a 39kWh battery and you're getting 3.4-3.5mi/kWh, correct? The "cdlb Guess-O-Meter (tm)" predicts that you'll be getting at most 64kWh x 3.5mi/kWh = 224 miles. So if it is purely down to the software, they've just replaced one random number with a different (slightly more realistic) number.

And it's colder.
I'd be surprised if they would change the algorithm unless it somehow factors in temperature or something else like that as a more sensitive variable. If they lowered the guesstimate permanently with a sledgehammer, it would be reflected very quickly in the rebirth of the "what's all this about a 280 mile range" argument. I know the argument happens already but at least at the moment drivers can see that if they drive sensibly in the right conditions, their range would get to 280. If their range never got above 250 due to a new calculation there would be theoretical uproar even if as @Tooks says, the actual range did get to 280. Tough audience these theorists.

My guess is, the update lost any history and it's just colder and wetter now!

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
I'd be surprised if they would change the algorithm unless it somehow factors in temperature or something else like that as a more sensitive variable. If they lowered the guesstimate permanently with a sledgehammer, it would be reflected very quickly in the rebirth of the "what's all this about a 280 mile range" argument. I know the argument happens already but at least at the moment drivers can see that if they drive sensibly in the right conditions, their range would get to 280. If their range never got above 250 due to a new calculation there would be theoretical uproar even if as @Tooks says, the actual range did get to 280. Tough audience these theorists.

My guess is, the update lost any history and it's just colder and wetter now!
Indeed, my back of the envelope maths was basically just to show that with the battery size and consumption figure reported by the car, both numbers are nonsense. Or to put it another way, they don't matter. Almost like they're a bit of a guess... :unsure:

Why it has happened is one question. Does it matter is possibly a better one...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had my e-Niro 4 since July and estimated range on a full charge was about 280 miles (250 real world). I only use the car for a daily work commute of 80 miles round trip. Since I had a software update to fix a screen issue last month the range now on a full charge is 250 so I guess real world 220?
I understand that the estimate is based on driving behaviour and climate, etc so I've given it a month to work out my driving style since the update but still the 250 miles is the maximum on full charge.
Obviously in July it was warmer but now it's not that cold and has been a relatively dry autumn/winter. This week has been 13-15 degrees. So is the 30 mile difference really due to the temperature difference between when I got the car and now? The summer wasn't that scorching. Or could it be the new update underestimates the range? Does anyone else have the purple screen update and found a lower range?
Thanks
Have you checked your tyre pressures? Mine dropped to around 32/33 after a couple of thousand miles and I had the same reduction in range. Increasing pressure to 37 all round put the range back up - although this also coincided with milder weather., so my science might be flawed! I don't think you get a pressure warning until it drops to 32 so it's worth checking.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+
85 Posts
got a brand new e-niro 4+ and i still have the old 3 split screen menu, which is the old white text, rather than the purple. Just got back from the dealers and they say i already have the latest version. Is this correct?

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,169 Posts
I used to have winter mode but since the purple software update I can't find it anymore in the menus!!
It’s probably just permanently engaged, as it should be anyway IMO. It does nothing except when it’s really needed. So nothing lost.
Peter

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,169 Posts
got a brand new e-niro 4+ and i still have the old 3 split screen menu, which is the old white text, rather than the purple. Just got back from the dealers and they say i already have the latest version. Is this correct?

View attachment 138364
Yup that’s the previous version. If I were you I would consider very carefully before rushing to get it updated. Do you like purple? Do you want to lose the triple split screen display? There's no going back if you dislike the new style!
Dealers are generally full of BS!

Peter

Reactions: Ian McVey

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+
85 Posts
Yup that’s the previous version. If I were you I would consider very carefully before rushing to get it updated. Do you like purple? Do you want to lose the triple split screen display? There's no going back if you dislike the new style!
Dealers are generally full of BS!

Peter
Hi, I don’t use the triple screen anyway, normally spilt in to two, is there a map update too, as they said this was the latest version, I am aware they are full of BS, but they were adamant this was the latest version, even after telling them the new version is of a purple colour, I even showed them some screenshots of the latest version.

Are you able to tell me what software version you have, I have also got in touch with Kia UK, they cant help, you need to speak to a dealer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts