Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After waiting over two weeks for the stock car which is undergoing updates, I asked the dealer for updates, and specifically to which version they are updating, 2.1 or perhaps 2.3. This is his answer:

I’ve just checked with the master tech and he’s given me the impression that the updates you’re referring to below are the kind that auto install remotely?

The update we’re trying to finalise is the full rewrite of the ECU from the factory. The issue we’re having is that it gets so far through this update (which takes 10 hours in total!) then fails at a certain stage. We then contact the factory who provide us with fresh codes to use to get us to the next stage. Our technician was working on the car Friday and has updated VW and is currently waiting for a reply from the brand.
I'm a bit confused now. Is software update to 2.1 different from ECU re-write?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,597 Posts
Software versions with cars is complex. Chances are 2.1 refers to an overall package. There isn't a single computer doing the work running a version of software. Each module is a separate computer effectively and will have its own version. It sounds like they're running into a problem applying updates to certain modules in the car.

·
Registered
548 Posts
It's probably the same thing. From various posts on here & other places, it seems that the "update" process VW use is more like a full reinstall of the software/firmware than a "patch" you would usually see on your phone or PC, for example.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It's probably the same thing. From various posts on here & other places, it seems that the "update" process VW use is more like a full reinstall of the software/firmware than a "patch" you would usually see on your phone or PC, for example.
That's what I was told by the Master Technician at our dealership: a complete download and reinstall rather than patches.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Our Family's in for 2.0 > 2.1 today, they allocated 2 days. At 13:22 today, I get an update to say that the Master Technician is working on it and "things aren't going well" and they need to download something from Germany. Sounds like he's done a few before and knows he needs a token from VW central to move forward from the so far buggered update.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts