Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My leaf 40 is just over 2 years and I'm down to 91% :oops:

I thought I was being careful with the battery, is this normal?

When does warranty kick in?

Thanks 馃槉

Registered
How many miles? My leaf has now done 39000 in 2.5 years (although much less in the last 6 months) and i am on about 89.6%

Registered
40 Leaf
19 500 miles
I purchased my leaf 40 with only 3700 miles on the clock at 2 years old.

My first scan with leaf spy was done at 4350 miles (as I was concerned that it had done a lot of sitting around for 2 years) I was quite pleased with 96.5% SOH.

I scanned again yesterday @ 5780 miles and it was 96.38% my car has never been rapid charged though if it continues to loose SOH at the current rate over the next 13000 miles it would be around 95% when it鈥檚 done 19k if I鈥檝e done my maths correctly?

I have no idea if SOH loss is linear though?

I guess from your figures it probably going to accelerate?

My car came from llandudno in Wales according to the home address that had been left in the sat nav so from its age / mileage I鈥檓 going to hazard a guess that it was used to go to the shops one a week and not a lot else! 馃槀

Everyone says that lack of use is really bad for an EV but from my experience I think my car has disproved that.

From what I鈥檝e read I think heat is the enemy of battery health, so a car that is used on motorways / A roads at sustained speed and rapid charged a lot will decline much faster than one that is pretty much exclusively used for city driving and never rapid charged.

I use mine for delivering food to businesses all day (about 65 miles a day all city on average)

Uses about 50% SOC per day and run it 80-30% and plug into a 7kw home charger each evening.

Only time will tell if mine hold up better than most.

Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
When does any of the battery bar first disappear on a 40? Mine had done 17000 at about 18 months old and the in car display hadn't dropped. Meant to check it with LeafSpy but forgot.

Registered
40 Leaf
My leaf 40 is just over 2 years and I'm down to 91% :oops:

I thought I was being careful with the battery, is this normal?

When does warranty kick in?

Thanks 馃槉
How is your leaf used?

Is it rapid charged regularly?

What is your charging regime?

How many miles do you do weekly?

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I purchased my leaf 40 with only 3700 miles on the clock at 2 years old.

My first scan with leaf spy was done at 4350 miles (as I was concerned that it had done a lot of sitting around for 2 years) I was quite pleased with 96.5% SOH.

I scanned again yesterday @ 5780 miles and it was 96.38% my car has never been rapid charged though if it continues to loose SOH at the current rate over the next 13000 miles it would be around 95% when it鈥檚 done 19k if I鈥檝e done my maths correctly?

I have no idea if SOH loss is linear though?

I guess from your figures it probably going to accelerate?

My car came from llandudno in Wales according to the home address that had been left in the sat nav so from its age / mileage I鈥檓 going to hazard a guess that it was used to go to the shops one a week and not a lot else! 馃槀

Everyone says that lack of use is really bad for an EV but from my experience I think my car has disproved that.

From what I鈥檝e read I think heat is the enemy of battery health, so a car that is used on motorways / A roads at sustained speed and rapid charged a lot will decline much faster than one that is pretty much exclusively used for city driving and never rapid charged.

I use mine for delivering food to businesses all day (about 65 miles a day all city on average)

Uses about 50% SOC per day and run it 80-30% and plug into a 7kw home charger each evening.

Only time will tell if mine hold up better than most.
Thanks for the info. I did a lot of rapids in my first year but mostly fast charging in year 2. I have taken pics of my SOH and if I pull the data will share on here. So maybe too many rapids are not good for your battery. Whatever you are doing seems to be good for your battery :)

Registered
I'm alarmed degradation can be this rapid, I've just approached the cars 1st year and already at 97% @ only 4,700 miles after 12 Rapids. (Car stored by dealer October - March), I thought Nissan and Panasonic had nailed the battery reliability.... a bit apprehensive now as I purchased outright for a 10 yr ownership.

Super Moderator
Mine's 9 years old and last time I looked in July it was 62%.

Yes, they degrade. With time. With usage. With temperature.

Reactions: driving14

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
When does any of the battery bar first disappear on a 40? Mine had done 17000 at about 18 months old and the in car display hadn't dropped. Meant to check it with LeafSpy but forgot.
The nissan brochure says 9 bars out of 12. Would that mean each bar is 8.3%? If so, warranty only kicks in when battery is below 75%. If my battery degrade continues would hit would hit 72.4% in 8 years so would need warranty.

8-YEAR / 100,000 MILE WARRANTY FOR NISSAN LEAF LITHIUM-ION BATTERY.

NISSAN LEAF LITHIUM-ION BATTERY WARRANTY ALSO PROTECTS AGAINST CAPACITY LOSS BELOW 9 BARS OF CAPACITY (OUT OF 12) AS SHOWN ON THE LEAF鈥橲 CAPACITY GAUGE.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
How is your leaf used?
Has been a real mix, but mostly short journeys (20miles)

Is it rapid charged regularly?
I did mostly rapid charge in year 1, but virtually all fast charge in year 2 (this is why I'm struggling to understand the big drop in year 2). I did a road trip to Ireland which was about 4 rapids in a row)

What is your charging regime?
I don't have offroad parking so pre-covid was fast charging at work from 20% to 80%. Post covid I use local chargers so am topping up wherever I go

How many miles do you do weekly?
in the last year about 100 miles week if that

Registered
Discussion Starter #14

Here is my SOH. Car was new in May 18. There was a 1.8% drop in March 19 over 8 days.

Registered
40 Leaf
I'm alarmed degradation can be this rapid, I've just approached the cars 1st year and already at 97% @ only 4,700 miles after 12 Rapids. (Car stored by dealer October - March), I thought Nissan and Panasonic had nailed the battery reliability.... a bit apprehensive now as I purchased outright for a 10 yr ownership.
Lithium batteries degrade most rapidly when they are new, you should see this level out as your vehicle ages.

The key is not to rapid charge unless necessary and if you don't need to use the whole cars range each day to not charge to 100% (apart from occasionally to balance the battery).

What charging routine do you follow?

Registered
Discussion Starter #16

Nissan LEAF 30-kWh Battery Degrades More Rapidly Than 24-kWh Pack - amazing that battery technology goes backwards at Nissan! :eek:

鈥淎t two years of age, the mean rate of decline of SoH of 30 kWh Leafs was 9.9% per annum (95% uncertainty interval of 8.7% to 11.1%; n = 82). This was around three times the rate of decline of 24 kWh Leafs which at two years averaged 3.1% per annum (95% uncertainty interval of 2.9% to 3.3%; n = 201).鈥

Registered
I checked my Leaf 30 on Leafspy today. It's exactly 4 years old, 25000 miles and down to 83.5% (down from 85.5 a couple of weeks ago). Not sure what is going on but at just over 4% a year doesn't seem that great to me. I am now starting to notice the fall in range. I used to easily get over 100 miles, but now 90 seems to be the limit. At this rate it will be at 67% after 8 years and I'm tempted to hang on to it just to see what they would do to bring the battery up under the warranty. On leafspy there are no obvious weak cells to replace - it just looks like a general degradation. Before anyone asks it has the Japanese sourced pack that doesn't need the firmware update.

Registered
40 Leaf
I wonder what the graph for the 40 Leaf looks like?
Well based on the graph above, and the average battery being @ 96% SOH @ 2 years I'd say it would be tracking just above the graph for the 30Kw Leaf.

It will be interesting to see how the battery fairs beyond 4 years.

I almost never drive my leaf on a roads or motorways so my battery experiences very little heat and I don't rapid charge.

Because my car sat on someones drive doing not a great deal for the first 2 years of its life it has developed a low cell.

at the moment I'm charging it from below 50% SOC to 100% 6 times a week as this seems to be sorting this issue out.

I have been doing this for 2 weeks now and the imbalance has dropped from 92mV to when I purchased the car @ 2 years old to 76mV this seems to be improving by between 1 - 2 mV per charge cycle by top balancing every day.

At this rate I'm hoping that in about 8 weeks that it will have sorted itself out.

This seems to be the way to deal with a low cell, at least in my case anyway.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
I have been doing this for 2 weeks now and the imbalance has dropped from 92mV to when I purchased the car @ 2 years old to 76mV this seems to be improving by between 1 - 2 mV per charge cycle by top balancing every day.
Is this the large number that appears top right on leaf spy? I usually get about 12mV

1 - 20 of 56 Posts