Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just about to purchase 2017 30kw Leaf 22,000 miles for fair price from Nissan Dealer. They tell me that they check the health of the battery and use a star rating which strikes me as not all that helpful. I've told them I will do a Leafspy check and just wondered what would be an acceptable minimum - I would say 93% but would really expect at least 95% from what I've read from this forum. Mos grateful for views.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Based on my experience with two 30Kwh Leafs of same age and mileage, should be somewhere between 97 and 99% at this time of year. SOH always drops a bit in hot weather and gains a bit in cold, so if it were 93% now, it might only be 90% by next summer.

·
Registered
159 Posts
always check the BMS has been updated if it hasnt it will affect soh also keep an eye out for any cell voltage that is significantly lower than the rest, make sure the mV reading is low normally most i have seen on here are between 10 and 25mV also check to see if there are any DTC codes present.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
My old 30kWh leaf was about 94% SOH on 16k miles though that was sold in April (warmer).
Just another data point :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
My old 30kWh leaf was about 94% SOH on 16k miles though that was sold in April (warmer).
Just another data point :)
Hi, I am new to this forum having bought a 2017 Leaf 30kwh ten days ago. I was a little disappointed with my range and decided to invest in LeafSpy to check my battery state of health. My Leaf has 16069 miles on the clock and is showing 92.84%. I was talking to a helpful taxi driver last week who has a 30kwh Leaf and his SOH is showing 100.7% at 78k miles.

Should I be worried?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, I am new to this forum having bought a 2017 Leaf 30kwh ten days ago. I was a little disappointed with my range and decided to invest in LeafSpy to check my battery state of health. My Leaf has 16069 miles on the clock and is showing 92.84%. I was talking to a helpful taxi driver last week who has a 30kwh Leaf and his SOH is showing 100.7% at 78k miles.

Should I be worried?
My 2017 leaf is showing 92.78% SoH and has only 8000 miles. When I first checked it was only 90.4% at 7000 miles. Other posts on here have said there is age-related degradation, and that the car may have been left for long periods at a high start of charge.

I wouldn't have bought it if I'd know how to check this beforehand. Now I've got it I'm not going to worry about it as it's still got more than enough range for what we need.

I have noticed the range is lower now than when we first got it and I'm sure this is due to the colder weather, persistent rain and the need to use the heater. The dashboard showed an average 4.2 miles/ kWh to start with and is now at 3.4 miles/kWh - this is roughly a drop from 115 to 93 miles range from fully charged to fully discharged.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I should add the SOH figures I suggested are probably about the best you can expect on a 2017 car now. Low 90’s aren’t by any means a disaster, but naturally the higher the better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi
Posted this elsewhere on the forum but thought I would update this. The Leaf (30KW, 2017 22,000 miles) was given 5 star health rating by Nissan but showed 89.5% SOH on Leafspy, No particular sign of abuse with 2 Quick Charges and 356 L1/L2 charges so may have been left on 100% for long periods? Leafspy showed 327 gids and 89 mile range to 5% battery remaining which I guess is significantly better than a new 24KW Leaf I would guess (6C today). This would be more than enough for our needs as my wife has a regular 40 mile round trip commute and we have a diesel back up for longer trips. Also the cells seemed pretty unbalanced so maybe get a better reading when balanced. Otherwise the car looks in excellent condition and good price. Tempted to go ahead?

·
Registered
16 Posts
always check the BMS has been updated if it hasnt it will affect soh also keep an eye out for any cell voltage that is significantly lower than the rest, make sure the mV reading is low normally most i have seen on here are between 10 and 25mV also check to see if there are any DTC codes present.
Hi, thanks for the advice. How do I check the BMS has been updated? Variation on cells is 12mv. DTC codes?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi
Posted this elsewhere on the forum but thought I would update this. The Leaf (30KW, 2017 22,000 miles) was given 5 star health rating by Nissan but showed 89.5% SOH on Leafspy, No particular sign of abuse with 2 Quick Charges and 356 L1/L2 charges so may have been left on 100% for long periods? Leafspy showed 327 gids and 89 mile range to 5% battery remaining which I guess is significantly better than a new 24KW Leaf I would guess (6C today). This would be more than enough for our needs as my wife has a regular 40 mile round trip commute and we have a diesel back up for longer trips. Also the cells seemed pretty unbalanced so maybe get a better reading when balanced. Otherwise the car looks in excellent condition and good price. Tempted to go ahead?
My 2017 leaf is showing 92.78% SoH and has only 8000 miles. When I first checked it was only 90.4% at 7000 miles. Other posts on here have said there is age-related degradation, and that the car may have been left for long periods at a high start of charge.

I wouldn't have bought it if I'd know how to check this beforehand. Now I've got it I'm not going to worry about it as it's still got more than enough range for what we need.

I have noticed the range is lower now than when we first got it and I'm sure this is due to the colder weather, persistent rain and the need to use the heater. The dashboard showed an average 4.2 miles/ kWh to start with and is now at 3.4 miles/kWh - this is roughly a drop from 115 to 93 miles range from fully charged to fully discharged.
That is quite an improvement in SoH. Did you do anything special with charging to get it back up? Mine dropped to 92.71 then up to 93.01 next charge (to 83%) and 93.10 (charged to 97% and driven straight away).

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had some advice on this forum about rapid charging or fully discharging and then fully charging. I didn't do that, and have just kept an eye on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Could someone with some expertise please advise me... I’m looking to buy my first EV and I’m very close to committing on a late 17 30 Acenta. I plugged in leafspy lite at the dealership and these are the screenshots. It’s very confusing for someone new to this and it’s a lot on money (I plan to buy outright and not return on pcp) so I’d really appreciate advice if I should go for this?
Thanks all for your help 👍
25994E20-0E8A-4643-BEB6-11BBC36ADC64.jpeg
14067898-1EFF-4DE9-88FB-019C91AAAB5D.jpeg
14067898-1EFF-4DE9-88FB-019C91AAAB5D.jpeg

·
Registered
223 Posts
Odd they NN1301’s picture shows a capacity of 77.98 Ahr at 98%SOH, whereas mine checked earlier shows 79.5 Ahr at 97.98% SOH.
Seem to remember the 30Kwh Leaf capacity is 82.15 Ahr when new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for your comment JonJ.

I thought this was odd too. I’m pretty nervous about completing on this but I do feel I’m being offered quite a good deal and the car is immaculate. I’d really appreciate anyone else’s take on this/advice.
Thanks

Odd they NN1301’s picture shows a capacity of 77.98 Ahr at 98%SOH, whereas mine checked earlier shows 79.5 Ahr at 97.98% SOH.
Seem to remember the 30Kwh Leaf capacity is 82.15 Ahr when new.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your comment JonJ.

I thought this was odd too. I’m pretty nervous about completing on this but I do feel I’m being offered quite a good deal and the car is immaculate. I’d really appreciate anyone else’s take on this/advice.
Thanks
Hi, I recently bought a 2017 Leaf30 @ 14k miles with a SOH 92%. I had BMS firmware upgrade which brought it up to 96% SOH and since then it's improved to around 99% SOH with a mixture of fast and rapid charges (mostly to <80% charge). Your stats closely resemble mine (Ahr 78.76) and look pretty good to me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts