Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Solar Carports Ltd are delighted to join Speak EV, and to begin to offer our products and services to all members. Based in the UK, we design, manufacture and install Solar Carports to suit every customer type, from Domestic installations, through Retail parking, Industrial and Commercial installations. We currently seek Installers, Re-sellers and Distributors of our products and have a keen interest on hearing from anyone interested in becoming involved in this rapidly growing EV and PHEV charging sector.

See www.solarcarports.co.uk for more information or to contact us.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We produce each carport to suit the requirements of each customer, and offer different solar PV modules, inverters, batteries, colours, lighting, security and other variables. Once we survey a site, we prepare a quote specific to that customer's requirements.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I like the idea but there's two big problems with the concept for domestic.

1. solar panels need to be where the sun shines, not necessarily where your car is parked. My car sits on a north facing driveway in shade when it's at home.

2. My car isn't home during the day to charge, it's either at work with me or I'm driving it around.

I know that exporting to the grid still helps even if the car is not on charge but that's never as cost effective as consuming the generated capacity at source.

Now what I need is a renewable source that works at night when I'm in bed and not driving my car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All of what you describe are true, and a solar carport, or solar panels of any kind, are not going to be for everyone. We don't expect to have a great percentage of market penetration for the reasons you describe, but the market is massive enough as it stands, even without further EV uptake, to acheive some decent installation numbers.

Battery storage for use of all power generated during the day is one way forward, but the economics of this depends on a number of factors, like base load at the house, is the house heated using heat pumps or gas, and do you have a supplier who offers Economy 7 tariffs. There's a solution in there fore everyone, with or without solar, but with solar included in the mix, you will be protected against future fuel price rises for the next 25 years+.

Net Metering is the simple answer to your problems, and would indeed spark a complete solar revolution in the UK, as FITs and export would not be required. Lobby Government to have this introduced, since we're one of only a handful of EU countries where this isn't commonplace. Smart Metering roll out would give everyone this option...there's no reason for not having this in the UK!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great idea but I'm afraid you've lost my order. I was all up for getting one of these but any website/company that doesn't show prices or even hint at a 'from' or 'available from as little as' price just isn't good enough. How do I know I can proceed further, are they £1500 or £15000? Do you really want endless emails and phone calls simply asking how much? and then a click as the phone line goes dead? Also think it has an air of snobbery about it - if you have to ask you can't afford attitude - and that the company are afraid of competition being cheaper so don't list prices.

Sorry I'm out....

·
Registered
13,511 Posts
It would be great if you could fit them on normal garage roofs, as this would be a massive market,
together with an optional battery storage system.
Most charging is done at night so without storage it all goes to waste.
You are on the right track with the idea!!
I have a south facing garage and gas & electric supplies.
Even and east or west facing garage will pick up a lot of sunshine.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Great idea but I'm afraid you've lost my order. I was all up for getting one of these but any website/company that doesn't show prices or even hint at a 'from' or 'available from as little as' price just isn't good enough. How do I know I can proceed further, are they £1500 or £15000? Do you really want endless emails and phone calls simply asking how much? and then a click as the phone line goes dead? Also think it has an air of snobbery about it - if you have to ask you can't afford attitude - and that the company are afraid of competition being cheaper so don't list prices.

Sorry I'm out....
Of course you entitled to your opinion but think a bit harsh esp the last bit. Cause one reason some don't list prices is cause of competition "stealing" the prices.

Also cause of variables like location , foundation etc can effect the price. You could quite easily work out "from price cause it's a 3khw system. " but also fact they looking for installers and stuff to me might not have data from enough installation from pating customers to put average price. But I do also see where u coming from.

To original post. Just look at your site and just to see I read it correctly and if so I would be interested.

Building one parents. There drive is south east front facing of house. He doesn't have eV car , but in house all the time and electricity bill is over £1500 a year in itself. So he's currently looking at installing solar panels before he goes off his cheap tariff.

So he could have one of your solar carports which would protect his car , give charge to my car when I come over. Also give power to his house. Which combine with solar panels on house roof should give a substantial savings off his electric bill and battery / economy 7 kicks in for times there is no solar.

For me we got EV , out between 9am to 6pm roughly every mon - sat with eV car at least to go to shop we own. But on Sunday sometimes at home all day. Also sometimes someone at home one day during the week doing all the house work.

But this solar car port would help reduce our electric bill (unlike my dad our house i's solely electric) so can charge car sometimes free on solar / house run on free energy and rest us exported to grid which we would get paid / stored in battery for evening.

On first one can be a permanent fixture but the latter one cause we are renting the place it would have to be the floating foundation / portable one. So when we move it can come with us?

·
Registered
13,511 Posts

Sorry I'm out....
It is one of those items, like EV cars.
Savings are a bit of a dream just now.
In years to come, with big inducements it may make economic sense.
In reality you would need to live to be 157 to get your money back.
Unless you want to save the planet, save your money.
Having paid for it, the next person that buys your house will be quids in!!:rolleyes:
Therefore it would be a good selling feature!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
It would be great if you could fit them on normal garage roofs, as this would be a massive market,
together with an optional battery storage system.
Most charging is done at night so without storage it all goes to waste.
You are on the right track with the idea!!
I have a south facing garage and gas & electric supplies.
Even and east or west facing garage will pick up a lot of sunshine.
Aren't garages already covered by companies who install solar panels on houses roofs ?

·
Registered
942 Posts
There is some very weird man maths on their web page but they suggest the levelised (never heard that before) cost of solar energy over 25 year is 7p/kw , using there example of 3.8kw (which seems very high for a garge roof space) seems to equate to £5250 cost , assuming zero maintenance. Quite reasonable.
They also claim an EV will drive between 3 and 6 miles per KW - optimistic methinks.
They also assume fossil fuel leccy will go up 6% pa from an unspecifed high starting place ???
Other solar car port providers are available :confused:

Sorry I'm out....

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
They also claim an EV will drive between 3 and 6 miles per KW - optimistic methinks.
They also assume fossil fuel leccy will go up 6% pa from an unspecifed high starting place ???
Other solar car port providers are available :confused:
The more aerodynamic cars can get 5 to 6 miles per kWh, so not a problem there.
The fossil fuel electric prices seems to ignore the renewables that are coming online to displace the fossil fuels on the grid.
Yes, solar panels over car parking spaces are a great idea if the placement is correct. You might as well put them there if you're having a new carport installed, especially if you don't already have rooftop solar as you could quite easily save money by combining the carport construction costs and solar panel costs together, plus no need for scaffolding for the rooftop solar guys.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the comments, some positive, some not, but we don't claim we can be all things to all people all the time. Just to pick up on a few points raised. The idea of placing panels on a garage roof is indeed one of the main reasons for us developing the Premier carport, since most garages don't have a large enough roof, nor are they generally lean-to design, to maximise the chance of a decent PV output. The Premier carport can be installed in place of an ageing garage, and can be supplied as a DIY kit with no panels initially, if you like. Panels can be added at a later date if your like, as well as batteries, inverter, charge point etc. We can also carry out the installation fro start to finish, or can guide you through DIY. With all these options we would be misleading everyone if we placed pricing "from" x on the website, since we'd then need to specify that this would be for a carport, with trapezoildal roof sheets, in black RAL9005 as a DIY only kit, when everyone really wants to know what a kit with 3.6kW of PV, inverter, installed would be. We don't know that until we see what we're installing, and onto what type of base (if one exists) or into which type of ground, stones, sandy, clay, etc. Too many variables....

In reality, we are looking to extend our installer network at present, through existing PV installers who are MCS approved. If you know of any such firms that you would recommend to us, then please let us know. Anyone wishing to install a port, we can certainly help, and would survey your property in the first instance to see wow suitable it was before going any further. Everyone will already have worked out that the price is going to be above what it would cost to install a PV system to an existing roof. We have to create that roof with the carport before we install the PV. These are long-term investments to create a stable and inflation-proof source of electricity to power your EV. Not for everyone I admit, but for those who have done their sums, there are some decent savings to be made, while gaining a certain independence from grid and petrol price rises in future.

On the subject of savings over fossil fuels, some peole seem to have missed the calculation. The comparison we use on our site compares the cost of running a car on petrol for 13,600 miles annually, against using PV power alone over a 25 year period, while using historical petrol price rises as an example of what would happen with a 6% annual increase over that period. We didn't include FIT or export tariffs in our calculations, so that if challenged, we could demonstrate that we are being considerably conservative in our figures. £100k over 25 years would buy some nice cars along the way on those savings. Anyone wishing to switch to EV today, in the correct circumstances, and using a Solar Carport(or equivalent PV system) at outset certainly does save on overall costs, despite any up front capital expenditure.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Amazing, that would be 80% ROI - without even taking into account FIT and other displaced energy savings.
That's a no brainer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On the subject of miles travelled per kWh of power. Kentish suggested 3-6miles was optimistic. Our carports were developed using an i3, i8, 330e and a Twizy, so we gained a lot of real-life test data when developing our products, not to mention having a complete blast in the process...A twizy with Kenneth's Power Box is probably the best fun a 50 year old can have....Ok the i8 has been good fun too, but not for having to allow everyone to pose for a selfie every time you go to Asda....The 330e gets a thumbs up from me, but could do with having a much longer electric range, but that will come in other future models. The i3 is simply awesome, easily gets 4 miles per kWh unless you tan it!! The Twizy gets over 6 miles per kWh, the 330e gets 15 to 18 miles per charge, which equates to just over 3 miles per kWh as does the i8.

We have done our homework on what we produce, and have been designing products for the renewable industry for over 20 years now, so know what works and what is complete nonsense.

The biggest single thing all EV users can do is to persuade the Government to introduce Net Metering in the UK, as is the case in several EU, US and lots of other countries. Do that, and PV and EV will forever be tied together at the hip. In the meantime, it's just slightly trickier to get the ideal setup to make full use of the PV. That's why we're not going to ram our ports down the throats of those who don't see what the future will become. We have the whole market to tackle in the UK as there is no market penetration at present, so we can afford to find the ideal sites, with the ideal base load power consumption during the day, and fit the ideal Solar Carports to suit those sites.

If you'd like to be part of what we're doing, and can see the practicalities of what we're trying to achieve, and have a genuine interest in becoming involved, then let us know.

·
Registered
942 Posts
"The more aerodynamic cars" ?? Hardly a huge choice is there so you must mean Tesla ? 6 mpkw ?
Anyone ever ever got that ?
The more aerodynamic cars can get 5 to 6 miles per kWh, so not a problem there.
The fossil fuel electric prices seems to ignore the renewables that are coming online to displace the fossil fuels on the grid.
Yes, solar panels over car parking spaces are a great idea if the placement is correct. You might as well put them there if you're having a new carport installed, especially if you don't already have rooftop solar as you could quite easily save money by combining the carport construction costs and solar panel costs together, plus no need for scaffolding for the rooftop solar guys.

·
Registered
942 Posts
None of those you mention are proper EVs - which one did you test that gave the same economy as the quadricycle ? I would love to know.
On the subject of miles travelled per kWh of power. Kentish suggested 3-6miles was optimistic. Our carports were developed using an i3, i8, 330e and a Twizy, so we gained a lot of real-life test data when developing our products, not to mention having a complete blast in the process...A twizy with Kenneth's Power Box is probably the best fun a 50 year old can have....Ok the i8 has been good fun too, but not for having to allow everyone to pose for a selfie every time you go to Asda....The 330e gets a thumbs up from me, but could do with having a much longer electric range, but that will come in other future models. The i3 is simply awesome, easily gets 4 miles per kWh unless you tan it!! The Twizy gets over 6 miles per kWh, the 330e gets 15 to 18 miles per charge, which equates to just over 3 miles per kWh as does the i8.

We have done our homework on what we produce, and have been designing products for the renewable industry for over 20 years now, so know what works and what is complete nonsense.

The biggest single thing all EV users can do is to persuade the Government to introduce Net Metering in the UK, as is the case in several EU, US and lots of other countries. Do that, and PV and EV will forever be tied together at the hip. In the meantime, it's just slightly trickier to get the ideal setup to make full use of the PV. That's why we're not going to ram our ports down the throats of those who don't see what the future will become. We have the whole market to tackle in the UK as there is no market penetration at present, so we can afford to find the ideal sites, with the ideal base load power consumption during the day, and fit the ideal Solar Carports to suit those sites.

If you'd like to be part of what we're doing, and can see the practicalities of what we're trying to achieve, and have a genuine interest in becoming involved, then let us know.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts