Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after having issues (dead 12v battery) when I left the car while away for work, for up to 6 months, someone on here suggested to get one of those solar panel chargers which I did, a cheap one from eBay, I’ve just been away for 4 months and when I came back everything was perfect, best £20 I’ve spent in a long while.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
If it's a 2012 model, leaving it plugged into the wall charger is pretty pointless. Not a lot happeds AFAIK. The 2013s are better, every 24 hours the cars wakes up & gives the 12V a top-up as required. I have no idea why this wasn't retro-upgraded to the 2012s - typical of most car mfrs to ditch the old models almost completely to concentrate on selling the newer ones, not realising that a v small effort to support older models gives the entire brand more credibility, maintains 2dn hand resale values better & so helps make the new ones more attractive in the first place. Same story applies to the Satnav. They could even have given us a bit more useable HV battery after a few years, having learnt how under-used it is. No wonder Tesla's taking the market by storm!

·
Registered
243 Posts
So after having issues (dead 12v battery) when I left the car while away for work, for up to 6 months, someone on here suggested to get one of those solar panel chargers which I did, a cheap one from eBay, I’ve just been away for 4 months and when I came back everything was perfect, best £20 I’ve spent in a long while.
Sounds like a good idea. Where did you locate the panel? Assume boot area as that would be easiest in terms of wiring?

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
Yeah, I use one with my Zoe as it won't top up the 12V even if plugged in. Seems to do job even in winter.

I got AA one from Amazon as it includes ODB connector. Car is on drive so crocodile clips are not viable.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I left the main battery plugged in to keep it topped up (it’s recommended in the manual), the 2012 as mentioned doesn’t charge the 12v, that was a stupid design decision. I located the pane on the rear soft shelf, I put a case underneath to support it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts