Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching the practicalities of having solar panels installed on my house, but I seem to have an issue with my house's EPC rating. At the moment it's an "F", and as I understand it, I need a "D". I've made some improvements since then, but I'm not sure if that's enough to bump me up a couple of grades...

Is there a way to tell what grade the house now is, or what I need to do to get it higher?

·
Banned
3,715 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there much discretion in these reports? I only ask because my neighbour appears to have a much better rating for a very similar set up.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already have a new efficient boiler, low energy lighting all round, loft and cavity wall insulation, double glazing, thermostats etc.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Here's the EPC register which might have a neighbouring house;

https://www.epcregister.com/reportSearchAddressTerms.html

You can get an assessment undertaken and it includes suggestions on what you can do... iirc we improved the cavity and roof insulation, and completed the upgrade to LED lighting.
Excellent.
We had solar panels fitted recently but didn't get a copy of the certificate.
Very surprised that the house gets a B rating though (though the inspector was very impressed at my commitment to LED lighting everywhere but the kitchen - must get those flourescent tubes replaced, they're actually really inefficient compared to the LEDs).

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Is there much discretion in these reports? I only ask because my neighbour appears to have a much better rating for a very similar set up.
They tick boxes to indicate what you have in the house... put it into the computer and that then tells them the rating. There isn't much room for interpretation as far as I can see.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,493 Posts
This EPC rating is something I will have to bear in mind when I decide to go ahead. I already have double glazing, 500mm of loft insulation, cavity wall insulation and all light fittings bar the main living room one which rarely gets used are energy saving bulbs. Only downside is the boiler which is 29 years old but for what I actually pay on gas and what it would cost to replace compared to savings that would be made it is not worth changing until it finally packs in.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I already have a new efficient boiler, low energy lighting all round, loft and cavity wall insulation, double glazing, thermostats etc.
I'm struggling to understand why your current EPC is an 'F' then ?????

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay

·
Registered
1,338 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Last two EPCs I have been connected with cost £85. And yes, one of them did come in the evening.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
30 mins work plus travel plus producing the document and no doubt updating some central database. Thats what my guy did anyway. Put that way, doesn't sound unreasonable I reckon. Annoying though!

·
otleyshev ( kev)
1,455 Posts
do you have a storage hot water tank? if so you need to do what i did it has 4" of foam around it as standard but i purchased and found as well lots of loft insulation fit aprox 1 foot deep all around the tank then get a thermal blanket higley reflective fully cover and a few other trade secrates then the tank will keep hot for 5 days no problem .
but you need to change the low wattage bulbs to LED ..
we have wall and loft insulation we have dubble glazing but soon 2 weeks time full a+ rated windows all around .
and we have log fire fitted about 3 years ago .
so when we bought the house it was E rated and now its c but almost B but thats not taking into considaration
the Arated front door or the A rated windows Or the High efficent log fire so imo.
we have 3.6 kwh solar pv we use less electric than we genarate infact
we charge our nissan leaf up and also our Electric Ford transit connect .
and still are under by 3000 kwh
i think is great.
battery storage on the cards and also wind turbine ;) hopfully

my house should be well in the B catagory for a 5 bed detached is good imo.
otley

·
otleyshev ( kev)
1,455 Posts
This EPC rating is something I will have to bear in mind when I decide to go ahead. I already have double glazing, 500mm of loft insulation, cavity wall insulation and all light fittings bar the main living room one which rarely gets used are energy saving bulbs. Only downside is the boiler which is 29 years old but for what I actually pay on gas and what it would cost to replace compared to savings that would be made it is not worth changing until it finally packs in.
if the bulbs in the living room are not energy efficient then thats agenst you .
if you have energy effencent bulbs then thats not bad but if you want to go for say 5 star then you need LED....

the boiler needs to be changed you are just throwing mony away imo..
please do the change theres lots of company doing good deals also . it will help sell the house.. fact..

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,493 Posts
Aye lights are all CFL at the moment with the exception of livingroom ceiling fan but the light part is never used, only 2 small lamps with 5w LED. Boiler replacement, I only spend £40 a month on gas (less now I have solar feeding the immersion in the hot water tank) so would take too long to recoup the cost, for me anyway. If I decide to move then I would get the boiler replaced and give the new owners the benefit warranty, though if it does pack in totally then I have to change it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Led bulbs aren't recognised by the software used for an epc.

Nor is having more that 200mm or so of loft insulation.

Nor individual zoning for central heating.

The epc is a complete con and in my opinion does not assist energy conservation in any way. It is only there as a money making exercise and to create jobs for the sake of it.

·
otleyshev ( kev)
1,455 Posts
cfl bulbs will be negative .
also the ceiling fan again negative.
so ether take out or change.above
the solar what size system ? i have keeped the hotwater tank as this is classed as a great old fashoned item with a modern spin i/e it is for the central heating . never used but used for hot water and baths and showers .
but the heating eliment is way to high 3kwh so have fitted a splitter to the emertion tank thus only need genarating 1.5kwh and thats enough to be heating the water but the water really never gets cold fact.
but the boiler that we have had fitted years ago is a woster bosch .
think its pritty efficient . but not the most economical but its in the top 4 i think but dosent really get used but dont take my word for it i pay ed last year £90 thats it so thats not bad imo.
otley

·
otleyshev ( kev)
1,455 Posts
Led bulbs aren't recognised by the software used for an epc.

Nor is having more that 200mm or so of loft insulation.

Nor individual zoning for central heating.

The epc is a complete con and in my opinion does not assist energy conservation in any way. It is only there as a money making exercise and to create jobs for the sake of it.
Sorry i have to say asda............

every little helps.

i struggley years and years ago . and my 1st ever bulb was one in my house 25 years ago think it was and cost £16+ from b.q it killed me but i was determined and look where its got me so.
for that every little helps. (y)

otley

·
Registered
157 Posts
Its all about paper work and having an audit trail.
Double glazed windows will be assumed to be default level rubbish ones unless you can provide evidence of the actual u value.
Likewise cavity wall insulation maybe ignored if there is no evidence.
They have to photograph everything to prove what they saw.
The type of fuel will also be a factor so oil will give a lower EPC than gas as its more expensive.
Also your actual fuel bills have no bearing on it, its what the software think you will spend.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts