Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I'm in the process of specifying my new Leaf Tekna! The dealer thinks I don't need the 6.6kw charger but I'm not so sure, I will be doing some business miles and I think I want the peace of mind of the higher capacity charger, what were others experiences in this regard?

Also, does the solar panel in the spoiler make a discernible difference?

Thanks!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I wouldn't be without the 6.6kw charger. It makes the car viable to me. You can put roughly 25% per hour in with a 7kw home charger or post. That to us means that if I've been using the car for work I can come home put it on charge for an hour and go out with the family having added 20 ish miles.

The panel looks cool though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I find my 3kw leaf charges to full from 20% in about 5-6 hours using a type 2 charging cable or 10-11 hours using the 3 pin plug, but it doesn't matter which you have if you use the rapid chargers

·
Registered
558 Posts
I wish I got the 6.6kw. Some people might never need it but for me it's about reduced hassle as you don't have to wait on the car charging. 1 hour will give you a good bump in range.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Solar panel is totally pointless and is too small to do anything other than trickle charge the 12V battery. I wouldn't bother with that.

6kW charging is worth having if you intend to use public charging or need faster charging at home. I think most would go for this option.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hopefully my next Leaf will have 6.6 kw, would have been useful on a couple of occasions for me over the last few months, nice to have if you can get it, also if you're buying outright it will help re-sale values. Solar panel?? It looks nice?? If you plan to leave the Leaf without being used for a long period of time then it might keep the 12v battery topped up but otherwise useless and I've noticed mould around the edge of mine from moisture that gets stuck there.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
General concensus seems to be not to bother with the solar panel, so I'll remove that off the options list. I will definitely add the 6.6kw charger though. Thanks for all your input!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did not bother with the 6.6kw but did get the spoiler I only charge x3 per week and always overnight so can see the need for faster at home. The panel looks cool and every little helps !

·
Registered
72 Posts
How much power does that extended PV panel produce? I'm thinking around 200Wp.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
6kw. Definitely for me. Get home empty at half five. Have dinner and get changed, leave to go out for the evenimg with 60 miles range. In my experience it really does give 30 miles an hour.

Solar spoiler. Not got it. But did
have my Leaf not be able to start this week as had drained the 12 v by leaving lights on. And a mumber of others have had phantom drains on 12 v causing similar.

So if some insurance to avoid this possibility is important to you....consider.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sadly you are correct.

It is possible to have a flexible solar panel on the roof, similar to what they put on lorrys but it wouldnt do anything more than keep the 12v battery charged.

Unless someone develops a way to charge the main batteries while the car is operating?

I have seen people that have had a solar parcel shelf powering heaters and fans, etc.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Just thinking though - cars are parked up 95% of the time. So if you had a 200W panel on the roof then that would give you around 2kWh per day? That's 8-10 miles ... how much range would you lose to drag/weight?

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Just thinking though - cars are parked up 95% of the time. So if you had a 200W panel on the roof then that would give you around 2kWh per day?
That requires 11 hours at full sun (assuming your charge controller is more than 90% efficient)... not something we see often in the UK :)

You can buy (here) flexible solar panels 1300mm x 800mm x 3mm that weigh 3kg and produce 180W in full sunlight... not sure how many you would get on the roof of a Leaf but a VW Camper Van would take several and charge the 12V battery when driving around the Mediterranean in the summer time ;)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
That requires 11 hours at full sun (assuming your charge controller is more than 90% efficient)... not something we see often in the UK :)

You can buy (here) flexible solar panels 1300mm x 800mm x 3mm that weigh 3kg and produce 180W in full sunlight... not sure how many you would get on the roof of a Leaf but a VW Camper Van would take several and charge the 12V battery when driving around the Mediterranean ;)
Or a Nissan electric van converted by a
company in Derby to being a camper :)

Who cares how long it takes to charge when you are at your destination!

(Unless, unlikely, you have to....ahem...work....or be somewhere at a particular time....:) )

1 - 20 of 22 Posts