Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Has any one had bird proofing added to their solar panels after their panels have been installed. Wish I had it done at the same time I had the panels installed, hay ho.

How much was your quotes for?

Many thanks

Luke

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
507 Posts
Hi, we had pigeons nesting underneath our panels. We used the Bristol Pest Controller (we are in Bristol) and had the adjustable stainless steel edging fitted around one set of 6 and and a separate set of 5 panels on 2 adjacent roof slopes. They did a good job. The total cost including scaffolding was just under £1200. The birds were driving me nuts as they were on the roof just above the bedroom ceiling and woke us up every dawn with loud scratching and cooing. They had to go. I had tried flushing them out with a hose but they kept coming back.
Yes I know, an air rifle would have been be a lot cheaper........

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, we had pigeons nesting underneath our panels. We used the Bristol Pest Controller (we are in Bristol) and had the adjustable stainless steel edging fitted around one set of 6 and and a separate set of 5 panels on 2 adjacent roof slopes. They did a good job. The total cost including scaffolding was just under £1200. The birds were driving me nuts as they were on the roof just above the bedroom ceiling and woke us up every dawn with loud scratching and cooing. They had to go. I had tried flushing them out with a hose but they kept coming back.
Yes I know, an air rifle would have been be a lot cheaper........
Thanks for that Peter, it sounds like the issues I am currently having, not to mention wasps in the loft I've just had sorted out today! I also got a verbal quote similar to yours from the wasp man, we'll see what his final quote is that he'll email me, gulp! I've just sent off to about 3 other companies for quotes but I think it's going to be around that amount.

This is something that should come with solar panels when you buy/ have them installed, it's a no brainier surely? Just wish I had done a quick Google search about it before going head.

Yours look really good as well, 2 jobs in 1 with the spikes above too.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Yours look really good as well, 2 jobs in 1 with the spikes above too.
Interesting. Why is there benefit in keeping birds from perching on top of your panels?
Personally I dislike pigeons (flying rats 🐀), but would prefer to control them by means that don't kill all birds indiscriminately. For example I'm not going to net our trees to keep the pigeons away, but instead encourage our local raptors which has the same effect.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
For context, we offer 4 main options at time of install, in increasing order by price:
1. Plastic needles, a bit like the picture above, this is new I don't have a price to hand
2. Wire mesh - galvanised steel, £18 per linear metre
3. Wire mesh - stainless steel, £22 per linear metre
4. Metal plate skirt - black anodised, £29 per linear metre

It would be significantly more expensive to retrofit, because of getting the roofers there and because of the scaffolding.

This is an example of mesh:

and skirt:

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
507 Posts
Those photos are very neat and if someone had told me about this issue, I would have had it done on installation, however it was never mentioned and I never thought about it. Roman tiles are more of a challenge than flat tiles and the adjustable spikes are one answer to that. The spikes sticking up are simply because the installer didn't cut them off flush, I didn't think about that either......... But maybe that is a further deterrent. The scaffolding is a major cost contributor probably accounting for as much as half the cost. The Pest Controller told me he does about one or two similar jobs per week.........

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I've looked into the plastic mesh option further. Here's a picture:

and the cost would be around £18 per linear metre.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We had our solar panels moved a few months ago due to an extension, at the time the installer said we could have some netting added to stop the pigeons nesting underneath as they'd found a nest in the original position.

Once i'd picked my jaw back off the floor at the 'rough quote' he gave me of £500+ i was quite happy to buy a nerf gun to fire at them whenever i saw them near the new panel location.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
We had our solar panels moved a few months ago due to an extension, at the time the installer said we could have some netting added to stop the pigeons nesting underneath as they'd found a nest in the original position.

Once i'd picked my jaw back off the floor at the 'rough quote' he gave me of £500+ i was quite happy to buy a nerf gun to fire at them whenever i saw them near the new panel location.
To be fair to him, £500+ is the right ball park. Unfortunately all bird controls measures are applied manually, and are pretty laborious. Also the kit is expensive - we've just bought 2 packs of the plastic mesh for £400+VAT.

·
Registered
58 Posts
To be fair to him, £500+ is the right ball park. Unfortunately all bird controls measures are applied manually, and are pretty laborious. Also the kit is expensive - we've just bought 2 packs of the plastic mesh for £400+VAT.
Oh yes I thought it was about right as his prices had been good on all the other bits, it was more just amount that surprised me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yep sounds about right. We purchased the wire mesh ourselves (different grades) and had the installer come back to fit. As people have said, the biggest cost is in the scaffolding. That was 3 years ago. Unfortunately the birds (Jackdaws) started to peck the retaining clips from the wire mesh so a number of those had to be replaced. They just seem to like our roof and with pan tiles there has been a mass of twigs and debris amass behind the wire mesh a the lowest part of the elevation. So that needs to be removed and so the story goes on.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
We've been fine for 8 years and now they've just moved in. Booked to have the netting fitted next month.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts